Why Some Rings Discolor Your Finger
Facts About Rings and Finger Discoloration:
Many different chemicals can cause a ring to leave a green or black stain on your finger. The most significant offender is chlorine. Gold is impervious to most chemicals, but chlorine will eat away at gold. Many other metals, such as sterling silver, can also be damaged by chlorine. Chemicals in makeup and body lotion can also elicit a negative reaction. There are many elements in body cream that are harder than metals used in jewelry. These elements can wear off microscopic pieces of metal that do not reflect light, causing discoloration around the finger. Salty air can also create a chemical reaction when mixed with sweat.
Alloys and Acid
Jewelry is usually made of a precious metal mixed with a metal alloy. Common metal alloys include nickel and copper. Metal alloys can cause an allergic reaction, causing a black or green ring to form around the finger. The acid in your skin can also cause a reaction with some metals, which can result in discoloration.
Chemicals, alloys, and acid should not keep you from wearing your rings. There are many things you can do to prevent the dreaded green or black finger stain. Remove your rings before swimming in swimming pools or hot tubs. Avoid wearing your rings when handling any household chemicals. You should also remove your rings at night and clean them regularly. If these tips aren’t enough to prevent your rings from leaving a stain on your finger, consider having the bands coated with rhodium on the inside to prevent a reaction. Your jeweler can coat your rings quickly and affordably.
More Ways to Shop
- Jewelry Guides