Handmade Halisi Design Candles, Set of 2 (South Africa)
These globally-inspired hand-painted candles are small works of art. Crafted by artisans in South Africa, each candle is hand-poured and then individually hand-painted. Each design name is derived from a special African word that is brought to life through the color and patterns which reflect the culture and influences of South Africa. The style images pictured illustrate the general design, but note that each candle is one of a kind. A truly unique and beautiful gift for hostesses, housewarming, wedding, anniversary, and more that make a striking addition to every home and a beautiful conversation piece! Creates a calm ambiance that transforms any space into a personal sanctuary.
In Swahili, "Halisi" means real and genuine truth, and authenticity is reflected in traditional designs and softness in colors.
- Individually hand-painted. Designs will have differences, but will be consistent in colors and icons that reflect the style.
- Socially responsible product assortments that is empowering consumers to purchase according to their values and help alleviate poverty.
- Package includes: Set of 2 Gift-packaged Dinner Tapers
- Country of Origin: South Africa
- Colors: Each candle is hand poured and hand painted by South African artisans with years of experience. After the candles are poured, they are handed off to the special background painters, who paint the entire wax candle with a base color that sets the tone for the design work that comes next. Masterful artists then paint the designs on each piece. It is truly exciting to watch the lightening-fast strokes of the paintbrushes transform what was molten wax into gorgeously colorful, individualized works of art!
- Materials: Unscented, high-quality, fully-refined paraffin wax from Germany. Non-toxic paint.
- Burn Time: Approximately 10 Hours
- Dimensions: 9" tall, 0.75" diameter
Story Behind the Art:
NOBUNTO is a South African Fair Trade company that creates high quality hand-painted candles, ceramics and handcrafted greeting cards with the utmost attention to detail using mainly African inspired designs. Their mission is, in a region with high unemployment, to alleviate poverty, not only through development of industry but to be socially, ethically, and sustainably responsible. Based in the small village Napier, about 180 km east of Cape Town, NOBUNTO has provided employment to mostly woman of the disadvantaged community and guarantees an income for over 18 families. The unemployment rate in the area is in the region of 50%. The word NOBUNTO comes from the Sotho language, meaning "For the people".
The handcrafted touch of artisan skill creates variations in color, size and design. If buying two of the same item, slight differences should be expected. Note: Color discrepancies may occur between this product and your computer screen.