First the pros regarding the 17" Sun Joe.
1. it does a very good job of cutting the grass blades evenly.
2. it is very light weight especially for an elderly individual.
3. being electric it is relatively quiet.
4. it is easy to empty out grass catcher.
5. does not take much room once stored.
6. fairly easy to maneuver.
7. LOVE the push-start button.
Now for the cons.
1. having to finagle with the cord!
2. grass catcher is absolutely useless...keeps blowing debris back to
you and all over the place through the flap....UNLESS...you rig
something up to hold the flap down. I took a short bungee cord
attached to the small handle on the cover and
the other end, going over the flap & attached to the top of the grass
3. you cannot back the machine up from a tight corner unless you lift
the back wheel up and pull machine using only the front wheels.
The plastic flap is an added annoyance when trying to back up.
This may be relatively easy for a taller individual, but at 5' 1", it is
definitely hard for me!
4. THE MACHINE HEAD SHOULD BE CLEANED OUT REGULARLY!
The cover should be removed and all debris removed as much as
possible, often, to keep the moist grass pieces from damaging the
internal electrical components as the only cover the "heart" of the
machine has is an open top plastic cylinder around the electrical
parts. I am no electrician but I think they could have come up with
some sort of appropriate cover for this sensitive area.
Over all despite the short comings, I do like the Sun Joe 17" mower as
it is lightweight fairly easy to handle and does a very good job on my
mid sized yard.
Shipping: Awesome. It arrived in 2 days.
Pros: Unit is light, simple assembly, quiet, inexpensive and no maintenance
Cons: Unit is light, tends to slide on hills because its so light, the blade was not sharp, takes hand muscle to hold the on/off lever while you mow