I bought this to give to a food bank so they could give to a family who was in need of food. 115 breakfasts for the price I paid was an exceptional deal. The container has basic breakfast items so I'm sure they taste good.
Don't be lulled into false security.
1. Added minimum 3 - 1 litre bottles of water. The first days of an emergency water might be scarce
2. The Aquamira bottle included is very nice and good for 100 gallons of water . . . however Aquamira also sells Water Treatment Drops (1oz) as a cheap backup and treats 30 gallons. Chemical treatment is consider a superior guard against bad water. Without water this kit is useless. Est cost $12
3. The Fire On disk is an emergency fire starter ONLY. Estimating 30 days requires 20 hours of heating fuel. A safe and reliable cooking stove is essential. Pocket stoves are easy to find, plus add sufficient fuel that works with your stove. Make sure you have at least two types of fire starters. COST EST $30
4.. To conserve fuel consider making two meals at a time and put the 2nd meal in a wide mouth thermos (a 28 oz plastic Thermos with a sturdy built in handle works well) A wide mouth Nalgene bottle would NOT be an appropriate alternative. COST EST $8
5. This kit requires hot water (warm water for milk) for every meal which is unrealistic if your group includes kids or the elderly. 1-2 boxes of crackers w/peanut butter, canned cheese or foil pouch tuna or chicken are a cheap solution. These can be rotated yearly which adds to your long term cost and a serious omission of this particular kit. COST EST $20
7. No flavor enhances was a surprise. Some long term food storage kits have up to 20% of the total contents/calories as Kool-aid or Gaterade like drinks. I added 24 individual servings foil wrapped water enhancers designed to be poured into a liter water bottle They are easy to find. COST EST $8
8. The kit may be nutritionally sound but added several bags of dried fruit, nuts and multi-serving pouches of vegetables.which can be purchased on line or at a local camping store. COST EST $20
9. In times of stress, sweets are a quick moral boost. Fun size M & M's, individual servings of hot chocolate mix instant coffee, a couple freeze dried Mountain House desserts add to the overall cost but if you are 'addicted' to eating sweets or coffee you might not be able to live without them COST EST $24
10. Add measuring utensils. The directions specify 1/4, 1/3, 1/2 & 1 cup measurements as well as 1 & 2 tbsp which seems a bit complicated. You also will need approx 2 cup cooking pot (larger if making more than 1 person servings) , a metal cup and plate, plus 2 or 3 1 oz purse size hand sanitizers and two dry wash cloth, aluminum foil and coffee filters. Most can be purchased at a dollar store. COST EST $12
11. The county extension office offered a class in homeland security and recommends several screw cap plastic bottles be added to a food storage kit to secure dry-powdered food or keep uneaten loose food. A recycled plastic peanut butter jar and a open mouth mayonnaise jar were suggested
12. An additional safeguard to consider is a 72-hour MRE kit which may be unnecessary but me I'm a bit uneasy having the bulk of emergency food to be from the same source. COST $38
All the above suggestions can be put in a zippered canvas bag or back pack and secured to the Augason kit with a clip or a bungy cord. The quality of food available is a deal breaker to how well an individual tolerates adversity. The items suggested above adds $180 but likely can stretch a 30-45 day kit into a realistic 60 day kit (or 30 day for two people) which makes the purchase of the Augason 300 meal kit plus add-ons still an affordable option for home preparedness.
There are three types of food kits you can buy. The buckets of single item food, like dry beans or flour, will be for people who plan store spices and salt and use their own recipes. Some of these things, like beans, can take hours to cook. Having a 5 gal. bucket of cornmeal is a lot different than having a lot of #10 cans of pre mxed entrees. The mixes usually take 10 mins to half an hour to cook. The third kind are smaller pouches that are often used by backpackers, and only need hot water added and a minute or two to steep before you eat them. You could even put cool water in most of them and they would be ready to eat in 10 to 20 minutes. You should judge which type to buy depending on your ease of (and possible safety during) cooking. If you live in a major city, you won't want to be trying to cook or bake for an hour or that aroma will draw everyone for miles. If you have a mountain cabin, you probably would be fine cooking or baking. I have some of each, so if there are times it isn't safe to cook, we will still be able to eat.
When you decide what to buy, consider the time to cook as well as the average daily calories offered. Lots of difference between a 2200 calorie day and an 1100 calorie day, you will end up eating two day's worth of food if the calories are really low. You will need to store some kinds of fats on your own as almost everything in these storage options will be very low in fat or fat free, They avoid fats as fats go rancid. You will need to rotate your own so they stay fresh. You need fat to live and to feel full. The entree mixes are pretty high in carbs, but that can be good in an emergency. (I also added three quart jars of M&Ms. They keep well and everyone can use a treat if we are in an emergency.) You can also find Gluten Free kits and other special diet kits.
This product has 2000 calories a day, which is good. But it also has bread mix, and other things that take a while to cook. Augason farms is excellent quality stuff, but if you don't want to spend the extra time cooking, then look for one of Augason Farms other kits such as the 300-servings 30-day pail. Those are the 15 minute cook ones. If you can't cook at all, look for buckets that are filled with the instant packets that only need hot water, Mountain Houze makes good ones. Remember to add a few bottles of vitamin C to your stores. You also need a good water filter. Good luck.
We purchased this milk in an attempted to find a good tasting instant milk product, look no more! this is it!! This is the right product for us, it might not be right for you but you will not know unless you try it. We had tasted many different instant milks and were very disappointed until we found this one.
We bought this product to take it camping but we have now stocked our pantry with it and plan on using it for emergencies or when we run out of milk and don't want or can't go to the store right away!
I have to admit that it is best when refrigerated for a while. Also, if you shake it vigorously to incorporate the powder to the water, foam will form on the top, make sure to take out the foam with a spoon, unless you like your milk with foam on top! Of course there is not fridge when you're camping but we normally use it for "cold" cereal or to add it to our coffee in which case we don't mind it if it is at room temperature.
Highly recommend this product!
Have my 38 cases of water now I have food...well I hope, yet everything I've read about Legacy tells me I'm taken care of. Can't really test it as the big one in Lost Angeles has yet to come, but it's coming we all know that for sure especially growing up and going through the last three big (kinda big ones). Great packaging, light and stores well. I'll let you know after the fact. God Bless
I thought very carefully about buying emergency food and checked many sites several times. I am so amazed at the value. It is vegetarian, but during an emergency, that won't be important. You get a lot of food for the price, and it was delivered in perfect condition. The manufacture date in this June, and has a long shelf life. I want all Americans to have God ,and emergency food and supplies for the times just ahead of us!
Shop Overstock.com and find the best online deals on everything for your home. We work every day to bring you discounts on new products across our entire store. Whether you're looking for memorable gifts or everyday essentials, you can buy them here for less.
Eziba® | Shop Eziba.com®
Over half a million prices checked each week. Overstock.com strives to deliver the lowest prices and the biggest savings on all the products you need for your home.