Don't be lulled into false security.
1. Added minimum 3 - 1 litre bottles of water. The first days of an emergency water might be scarce
2. The Aquamira bottle included is very nice and good for 100 gallons of water . . . however Aquamira also sells Water Treatment Drops (1oz) as a cheap backup and treats 30 gallons. Chemical treatment is consider a superior guard against bad water. Without water this kit is useless. Est cost $12
3. The Fire On disk is an emergency fire starter ONLY. Estimating 30 days requires 20 hours of heating fuel. A safe and reliable cooking stove is essential. Pocket stoves are easy to find, plus add sufficient fuel that works with your stove. Make sure you have at least two types of fire starters. COST EST $30
4.. To conserve fuel consider making two meals at a time and put the 2nd meal in a wide mouth thermos (a 28 oz plastic Thermos with a sturdy built in handle works well) A wide mouth Nalgene bottle would NOT be an appropriate alternative. COST EST $8
5. This kit requires hot water (warm water for milk) for every meal which is unrealistic if your group includes kids or the elderly. 1-2 boxes of crackers w/peanut butter, canned cheese or foil pouch tuna or chicken are a cheap solution. These can be rotated yearly which adds to your long term cost and a serious omission of this particular kit. COST EST $20
7. No flavor enhances was a surprise. Some long term food storage kits have up to 20% of the total contents/calories as Kool-aid or Gaterade like drinks. I added 24 individual servings foil wrapped water enhancers designed to be poured into a liter water bottle They are easy to find. COST EST $8
8. The kit may be nutritionally sound but added several bags of dried fruit, nuts and multi-serving pouches of vegetables.which can be purchased on line or at a local camping store. COST EST $20
9. In times of stress, sweets are a quick moral boost. Fun size M & M's, individual servings of hot chocolate mix instant coffee, a couple freeze dried Mountain House desserts add to the overall cost but if you are 'addicted' to eating sweets or coffee you might not be able to live without them COST EST $24
10. Add measuring utensils. The directions specify 1/4, 1/3, 1/2 & 1 cup measurements as well as 1 & 2 tbsp which seems a bit complicated. You also will need approx 2 cup cooking pot (larger if making more than 1 person servings) , a metal cup and plate, plus 2 or 3 1 oz purse size hand sanitizers and two dry wash cloth, aluminum foil and coffee filters. Most can be purchased at a dollar store. COST EST $12
11. The county extension office offered a class in homeland security and recommends several screw cap plastic bottles be added to a food storage kit to secure dry-powdered food or keep uneaten loose food. A recycled plastic peanut butter jar and a open mouth mayonnaise jar were suggested
12. An additional safeguard to consider is a 72-hour MRE kit which may be unnecessary but me I'm a bit uneasy having the bulk of emergency food to be from the same source. COST $38
All the above suggestions can be put in a zippered canvas bag or back pack and secured to the Augason kit with a clip or a bungy cord. The quality of food available is a deal breaker to how well an individual tolerates adversity. The items suggested above adds $180 but likely can stretch a 30-45 day kit into a realistic 60 day kit (or 30 day for two people) which makes the purchase of the Augason 300 meal kit plus add-ons still an affordable option for home preparedness.
I purchased this package and when it arrived, every single can was dented near the top seal. I called and they sent me a complete replacement. When it arrived, 5 out of 6 cans was dented. I called again to report this. I was again sent a replacement. When it arrived, only one can was dented. I am awaiting yet another replacement so I can have a complete set of undamaged cans. I purchased the soups for long term storage. Dented cans are not suitable for longer term storage. I don't know if the cans themselves are more fragile than other cans I have purchased, if the shipping company managed to damage that many or if they were damaged in the warehouse, but it makes me leery to purchase from Augason Farms / Overstock again at this point.
As for the soup itself, since Fed Ex never picked up the dented cans, we weren't about to waste them. I was told by Augason Farms that they would be safe for short term use. We tried the cheddar broccoli and it was delicious - just as good as soups I have tried at restaurants. It turned out thick, creamy and flavorful. Each "serving" makes the same amount as a regular size of condensed soup so it's a great bargain. We haven't tried the other flavors yet, but if they are anywhere near as good as the cheddar broccoli, I will love them!
I activly compare prices at the major websites and purchase accordingly! Overstock almost always wins, but if you find a lower price and e-mail it to Overstock, they will match the price. Also, Overstock ships completely free for members and a low cost for everyone. So far, I have amassed a lot of food storage and most is purchased right here at Overstock. I must buy a lot for a little price, so Overstock has really helped. The manufacter dates are also very recent on almost everything!!!
O.co has the best price for this product I have found. I received a sample from the manufacture and it was surprisingly delicious. I have tried RME's and other storage foods and this is the best hands down.
Shop Overstock.com and find the best online deals on everything for your home. We work every day to bring you discounts on new products across our entire store. Whether you're looking for memorable gifts or everyday essentials, you can buy them here for less.
Eziba® | Shop Eziba.com®
Over half a million prices checked each week. Overstock.com strives to deliver the lowest prices and the biggest savings on all the products you need for your home.