This handmade creation is offered in partnership with NOVICA, in association with National Geographic.Product Features:
Story Behind the Art:
- Mirror frame depicts the birth of Jesus, the Garden of Eden and a Peruvian celebration
- Traditional retablo makes a most engaging mirror frame
- Decorative accessory eloquently handcrafted by Alejandro Chavez
- Chavez creates each image with ceramics and meticulously paints them in bright colors
- Originally intended as an altar piece, retablos traditionally feature biblical passages amid distinct Andean customs
- Mirror included
- Frame: 7.7 inches wide x 9.3 inches high x 1.2 inch deep
- Mirror: 3 inches wide x 4.9 inches high
Peruvian artisan Alejandro Chavez specializes in the creations of retablos,
a kind of reverent diorama-altar unique to the Ayacucho region of Peru. He learned this technique as a boy in school, when he was 17 years old and living in Ayacucho. When Chavez returned to his hometown, he began working in the studio of Angel Castro, a master artisan. Here he eagerly learned from his teacher. Later, Chavez formed his own workshop after the death of his teacher and began to give shape to his art. The customs and traditions of the Andean people emerge in every piece.What is Worldstock?The handcrafted nature of this product will produce minor differences in design and sizing. Subtle variations will occur from piece to piece, adding to its unique qualities. Measurements may vary slightly.
Please allow 10 business days for the product to leave our warehouse and to receive tracking information. You should expect to receive this item within 15 business days of the order date.