This handmade creation is offered in partnership with NOVICA, in association with National Geographic.Product Features:
Story Behind the Art:
- Ceramic mask vividly reflects the rich, storied culture of Peruvian tribes
- Boisterous colors personifies a demon in this decorative accessory
- Sculpture by the renown Salomon Ruiz is crafted of ceramic clay
- Mask pays tribute to the Moche and Chavin civilizations of ancient Peru
- Stylized mask is sure to stand out among your home decoration scheme
Ruiz uses a unique process in which he first shapes the piece by hand from clay. After firing it at a temperature of 1832-degrees Fahrenheit, he applies bright enamels and gilt. The finished piece is then bathed in a coat of clear enamel, which protects and enhances the vivid and expressive use of color.
'I am a self-taught artist, dedicating myself to ceramics and craft making since my youth. I specialize in masks influenced by the Vicus, Moche, and Nazca cultures. I focus largely on the mix of form and color; despite a lack of formal training I have created a unique, personal style.' What is Worldstock? The handcrafted touch of artisan skill creates variations in color, size and design. If buying two of the same item, slight differences should be expected. Note: Color discrepancies may occur between this product and your computer screen. Please allow 10 business days for the product to leave our warehouse and to receive tracking information. You should expect to receive this item within 15 business days.