This handmade creation is offered in partnership with NOVICA, in association with National Geographic.
Peru's Alejandro Chavez depicts colorful scenes from his native Peru in this retablo. Made of plywood and ceramics with a square mirror in the center, this handcrafted diorama makes a striking accent piece.
Story Behind the Art:
- People from the Andean highlands harvest prickly pear, sell hats, dance and adore the Christ child
- Ceramic figurines are shaped and painted by hand, and displayed in a plywood box
- Signed by the artist
- Mirror measures 4.5 inches square
- Measures 6.5 inches high x 6.45 inches wide x 1.18 inches deep when open
- Measures 6.5 inches high x 6.1 inches wide x 2.6 inches deep when closed
Andean artisan Alejandro Chavez creates retablos, colorful dioramas unique to the Ayacucho region of Peru. Each tiny figure is shaped and painted by hand, and displayed in a delightful tableau. 'In every one of my works you can find the labors of my wife, who molds the characters, as well as that of my nieces and nephews, whom I currently teach,' he says. The customs and traditions of the Andean people emerge in every retablo.What is Worldstock?The handcrafted touch of artisan skill creates variations in color, size and design. If buying two of the same item, slight differences should be expected. Note: Color discrepancies may occur between this product and your computer screen.
ImportedShips Carbon Neutral*
Please allow 10 business days for the product to leave our warehouse and to receive tracking information. You should expect to receive this item within 15 business days of the order date.