The directions were accurate but the cheap partical board wouldn't hold the mechanical screws so they pulled out. The shelves had no support & wouldn't screw into the sides. The white bookcase looks great on paper but was a nightmare trying to assemble it. I've sent 4 kids to college & purchased at least 5 other brands of bookcases. We put them together easily. This one couldn't be assembled so I returned it. Overstock.com is wonderful about returns & I highly praise them, just not the bookcase~!!
- How accurate was the sizing? accurate sizing
- Please tell us about the quality of the product. terrible/poor quality
- Was the product free of any manufacturer defects? the mechanical screws pulled out of the partical board
The directions are too complicated, I cannot figure out how to put it together. I really wanted a shelf exactly this size, but all I ended up with is a small pile of boards.
- How accurate was the sizing? I don't know
- Please tell us about the quality of the product. looks like painted fiberboard
- Was the product free of any manufacturer defects? I don't know
Parts were missing. The holiday weekend and miscommunications meant a very long wait for the right parts to arrive. The box seem to linger a very long time on the study floor. Very nice customer service could not lift it in less than 3 weeks. When I was finally able to assemble both book cases, I elected to brace the two together and to the wall. Loaded up, they look OK. I buy from Overstock all the time. I am glad this was not my first experience.
- How accurate was the sizing? yes
- Please tell us about the quality of the product. overly heavy particle board...hard to work with
- Was the product free of any manufacturer defects? I bought two of these. In one of the boxes the parts were labeled but not in the other. Too bad it was not the first box I opened. In the box where the pieces were labeled there were missing parts
Pros: white (not off white), price, movable shelves with many drilled holes in the side panels, so you can adjust up or down, as needed. Cons: took forever to assemble (instructions are limited, so, I had to take it apart half-way through, because I attached some of the things upside down), but lots of time spent figuring things out is not even the worst part. The worst part is poor design - the back panels will not attach to the back with screws provided. They will also not tightly connect to each other, letting light through and creating an ugly look. I remedied it with running a white adhesive tape from top to bottom on each seam. It looks ugly in the back (the side facing the wall), but it fixed the problem on the front side (sort of - I can still see the seams). Bottom line, if you are handy, you will waste a lot of time, but you will figure it out. If you will have shelves filled with books, it will look pretty. But if you want to leave some open spaces for smaller-size items, you will see the seams and will have to figure out what to do with the back panels not attaching properly.
It's hard to find "ready to assemble " furniture that's not made of cheap wood and a flimsy design. This holds true for the bookshelf. The finish on the wood is excellent. But the wood dowels needed more than just the dowels and one of the clinchnuts broke when installed. I decided to use a quality wood glue for the dowels and any place where wood-to-wood meets. That tended to improve the stiffness and strength of the bookshelf. I recommend adding the wood glue as mentioned above to the unit. The improved strength along with the excellent paint finish will give you a much nicer bookshelf than if you just built it strictly by the enclosed instructions.
First of all, this is bigger than I pictured even though the dimensions are correct. It is a very nice piece of furniture and I recommend putting it together where it will be placed so you don't need to move it afterward (unless you have someone to help you). Was able to put this together easily in just under two hours by myself. This is not my first online purchase and I am always wary but was very pleased with the overall quality of this piece. Thanks Overstock!
- How accurate was the sizing? Dimensions are correct but image doesn't do it justice
- Please tell us about the quality of the product. beautiful
- Was the product free of any manufacturer defects? yes
It is a beautiful addition in our home office. It arrives quickly. The book case is nicely made and it is sturdy. The assembly instruction is easy to understand, you can put the whole thing together fairly quickly. Definitely will recommend to friend.
- How accurate was the sizing? good
- Please tell us about the quality of the product. good
- Was the product free of any manufacturer defects? very good