Sitting at work all day can cause long-term lumbar problems. Get lumbar support with this Office Star Space Air Grid Back Fabric Seat. This comfortable chair features an adjustable tilt control and tension system, with padded back support....more
Overall, this is a 3-star chair, but I think it deserves a close look because of its value. You'll be hard-pressed to find another chair with these features for ******
My review is very long. When I was considering this chair, I found very few useful reviews, so I'm hoping it will be helpful to others to get some in-depth info from someone who owns this product.
I shopped around A LOT at local stores and online for a decent office chair at a decent price. I really like the look and feel of the Herman Miller chairs and similar styles I often see in hotel rooms -- but I just couldn't justify spending that kind of money. So I set about to find a chair that was a good value and would help my aching back. (I wanted something cool-looking too, but that didn't work out.) I found another great chair (amazing deal) on another site but that chair turned out to be out of stock, so I started my search over. Nothing else in my price range ($350 or less) really thrilled me. I selected this chair for its ergonomics, low price and ability to return it if it didn't work out. In the end, I didn't see anything better for the price.
I ordered the chair on a Thursday afternoon and it arrived (West Coast) the next Wednesday. My first impression upon pulling the chair seat and back out of the box was that I'd received a "big and tall" chair by mistake. This chair is enormous. It's more the scale the high-back padded-leather "executive" chairs you see everywhere than the typical office task chair. I have a huge executive-size desk, so this chair is OK with it -- just barely.
I am female, tall with a medium sized frame. Technically, I'd say this chair is too big for me. I don't mind the extra size of the seat and back as they do offer a bit of extra support but the armrests are way too far apart.
I really wanted a chair with a metal base. To be honest, I wasn't sure from the description what to expect for this one. The base of this chair is very hard plastic with a coating over part of it that makes it look metal-ish and probably gives it a bit extra strength. The base endcaps and casters are not coated.
The cushion fabric is nice. It's a pattern of small tan and black diamonds. It's not bullet-proof and I'm not sure how well it will wear. I'm thinking about making a cover.
- This is a big chair!
- Adjustable features: chair height, arm height (six positions), lumbar support. Adjustable tension for the back tilt, so when you lean back in the chair it easily gives (or not).
- Using this chair helped my bad back instantly.
- I didn't see any other chairs anywhere that offered adjustable lumbar support at this price. With most chairs I tried in person, the fixed lumbar support was fine for me, but if you are extra tall or know you need the adjustability for some other reason, this is great.
- The mesh back is nice and firm (so far).
- The chair seems well constructed and sturdy. My husband put it together and commented that the connections were tight and solid.
- Fairly easy assembly. One person can do it.
- This is a big chair!
- The chair is nearly all plastic.
Even the body of the pneumatic cylinder that connects the chair body and base is plastic. Only a very few parts of this chair are metal.
- No surprise, but the overall look of the chair screams "plastic!" When you see it from the back, all you see is giant plastic chair (which it is, of course)! The base or pan of the seat is plastic and extends past the cushion in the back (you don't really see this in the photo) adding even more plastic to the profile that seems unnecessary and is certainly not aesthetically pleasing.
- Even though I think we've assembled the chair very well, it has a little give in the cylinder area, so it feels just a bit wobbly.
- The chair does not support the best posture. If I sit up straight, there's several inches between by back and the chair back. This leads me to slouch. I'd like a chair that supported my posture better.
THIS CHAIR IS FOR YOU IF:
- You need adjustable lumbar support at a low price.
- You're a medium to large person (but not super heavy) and want a big chair at a low price.
- You want a decent chair that's a good value, have the space for it, and don't care about all the plastic.
THIS CHAIR IS NOT FOR YOU IF:
- Your space is tight.
- You are small.
- Your other office furniture is small in scale. (This chair won't fit in at all.)
- You don't like the idea or the look of all that plastic.
In the end, I'm keeping this chair. It's not what I set out to find, but that search was fruitless. I have a comfortable, supportive chair now that's helping my back problems and didn't cost much. I'm not thrilled, but I'm satisfied with my purchase.
* For your protection, all orders are screened for security purposes. If your order is selected for review, our Loss Prevention Team may contact you by phone or email. There may be a two business day delay to process your order.
** Most Oversize orders are delivered within 1-4 weeks. Some orders may take 6 weeks to be delivered.
Shop Overstock™ and find the best online deals on everything for your home and your family. We work every day to bring you discounts on new products across our entire store. Whether you're looking for memorable gifts or everyday essentials, you can buy them here for less.