I received my watch lastnight and I have been so excited about this purchase. The look of this watch is absolutely stunning, I haven't been able to stop looking at it...which is why I've noticed that anytime my arm is vertical (like when I'm standing or walking), the gears stop moving and the watch loses time. The gears only move when I'm sitting at my desk and have my arm parallel to the ground. What good is that? I'm a bit discouraged and hope that I am able to get a replacement that WORKS!
- How did the image on site compare with the actual product? It looks WAY better in person
- How accurate was the sizing? Sizing is great!
- Please tell us about the quality of the product. It keeps losing time.
I purchased this for my boyfriend's birthday. He loves it. He really likes the face of the watch.
- How did the image on site compare with the actual product? exact
- How accurate was the sizing? very good
- Please tell us about the quality of the product. definitely a quality product
One of the leather loops in my husband's engagement watch that I gave to him years ago is starting to show its wear and tear, and we began to fear that one day the watch might end up falling off his wrist and getting lost forever. Since the original watch has so much sentimental value and is no longer available from the company that made it (and the fact that to replace the single leather strap is equivalent to buying a new watch), he couldn't really see himself even using any other watch than the original. Naturally, hearing his laments at not being able to wear his watch with total peace of mind, I have been researching wrist watches since then not as a replacement for the engagement watch, but a decent stand-in for it. After about a year of searching, I decided upon the Akribos Men's XXIV Dual Time Mechanical Strap Watch. Key points that I liked about it before seeing it in real life: 17 jewel 9730 hand wind mechanical dual time movement, genuine calfskin leather strap, Roman numeral markers, goldtone skeletal dial and case, and the fact that it looked like a pocket watch. Cons that I wasn't too keen upon before seeing it in person: goldtone as opposed to actual gold plating, blue hands, the frosted look along the perimeter of the dial face, and the possibility that the case was too thick for my husband to wear on a daily basis. Last Friday we received the watch, and I have to admit that it is far more impressive than the website gives it credit for. For example, the Akribos packaging it came in is a pretty good presentation piece by itself, so I didn't need to wrap it. Although I paid more for the watch on Overstock than it is worth on Overstock today, it was a nice touch to have the original MSRP price tag of $915 still attached to the watch. Pros after seeing it in real life: case really does look like a pocket watch, has subtle time markings along the interior of the case that is not visible in stock photo, crown is easy to turn for husband that is plagued with early stages of tendinitis, timing is accurate so far, blue hands are more like a London Blue shade than a cobalt blue, leather straps are thick and smooth, goldtone is a realistic shade of yellow gold, case of watch lays smooth against skin (doesn't hurt him when he wears it), lasts a long time after winding it, and my husband especially enjoys the loud pocket watch ticking it makes. Cons: leather loops are thinner than I would want them to be, case dimensions are accurate so it is big (imagine a full sized pocket watch on your wrist), and the Krysterna crystal does stain more easily from the oils from one's skin. Overall, for less than $200, it is worth the investment to see my husband's happiness and pride that he derives from owning and wearing it.
- How did the image on site compare with the actual product? Better in person than in the pictures on the site. Certain details can't be seen that would be a selling point for prospective buyers.
- How accurate was the sizing? Accurate although picture creates illusion that the "case" isn't as big as the dimensions state.
- Please tell us about the quality of the product. Good so far after wearing it for nearly a week. Craftsmanship is far more amazing in real life than what the pictures shows.
I purchased this watch as a gift for my son for Christmas. It is a very impressive and good looking item. In his words, when I asked how well it was working , "Great, Love it!". Watch is very different with the crystal on front and back so you can see the workings of the watch gears. Purchasing through Overstock made this watch affordable for me to buy!
- How did the image on site compare with the actual product? Actual watch looks the same, watchband is much nicer than it appears online.
- How accurate was the sizing? N/A
- Please tell us about the quality of the product. high quaility
I have been looking for a Moon and Sun phase watch for a long time. I own many high quality watches and am so excited t sport this around. It is very unique and exactly what I was looking for. I will be looking at some of the other designs Akribos has and will be looking to purchase additional watches through Overstock. The process was seamless and I recommend the service to anyone. I believe I got a good deal on the watch and was surprised at how quickly I received it.
- How did the image on site compare with the actual product? Exactly
- How accurate was the sizing? Right On
- Please tell us about the quality of the product. Exactly what I expected
Bought this watch as a Christmas gift for my son. I collect watches and he's been wearing my Rolex, Movados, and Noblias. So I decided to get him a watch of his own. When it showed up, I was jealous! Lol. He loves it and sees it as a fine watch. The fit and finish are amazing! Thinking of buying a second one to add to my collection. He proudly wears it to the malls and I have to admit, we've compared to some other skeleton watches out there an it is much nicer. His words....
- How did the image on site compare with the actual product? The watch arrived as it appeared. Has real weight to it and feels like a very nice quality timepiece.
- How accurate was the sizing? Watch is marketed as being a little larger than average, and it is. But thats the current style and it looks great!
- Please tell us about the quality of the product. Watch has been running fine so far. Winded and set the time. Seems to be working well so far.
The watch is way too large which give the impression that it's very ostentatious. Its gold color adds to that effect. I made a mistake in buying it as I thought it would be understated more. But, alas, no, the impact of the watch it too loud for my tastes. I gave it a "Fair" instead of "poor" because I know that some people may be looking for jewlery rather than a watch for daily use and this watch then may suit their needs. But I think if the face of the watch were smaller the impact would be better.
was a little nervous about the purchase but when it arrived was very content with its appeal. looks very expensive and shiny, was given lots of complements.
- How did the image on site compare with the actual product? perfect
- How accurate was the sizing? good
- Please tell us about the quality of the product. great
Beautifull watch - very unique - like wearing a pocket watch on your wrist. Keeps time as well as my quartz watches. Actually looks better in person than on the web site. Too large I think to wear daily but a great collectors piece. I don't think I have seen anything else like it.
- How did the image on site compare with the actual product? Very Well
- How accurate was the sizing? Accurate
- Please tell us about the quality of the product. Execellant
I already got an akribos before but just felt like getting another one...this one, after looking at the site, very please with the buy. a very good craft that I feel proud to wear on my wrist.
- How did the image on site compare with the actual product? actual looks a lot better
- How accurate was the sizing? pretty accurate
- Please tell us about the quality of the product. very good craftsmanship , nice kind of leather
It's a lot of fun to look at and wear. I feel I paid pretty much the right price for it and I am enjoying it. Just be aware, it is mechanical, self-wind, not automatic. The jump ring on the winding mechanism makes it a bit easier though.