I would have paid more for **** **** bookshelf if I had known that the quality of this product is actually that bad (I ordered despite of some of the negative reviews due to price). The bookshelf has this very strong and toxic smell, which gave me a very bad headache for days. I had to put it away from my desk. One of the bottom angle came cracked at the seam (supposed to have a seamless look), although it hasn't affected the overall functionality. It's not meant to actually store books since it's very wobbly (shelves are loose). The components do not meet tightly. Some of the hinges have significant gaps. Assembly was not too bad though - because of some of the comments I read, I was extra careful when assembling the pieces together, while referencing **** instruction at the same time. Note that they are NOT the same shelves - this one has horizontal bars on the bottom three shelves while the one from **** has not bars across the shelves. I only put a few books (flat) and some smaller items like perfume bottles, sunglasses, and keys on the shelves. Paint is very thin - not the lacquered or glossy. Since I'm only to keep it for a year while at school, and for the price, I'll bear with it. Doesn't look bad from the other side of the room...
- How did the color on site compare with the actual product? paint is thinner and whitey white
- Please tell us about the quality of the product. poorly made. unstable. gaps between hinges.
- How accurate was the on site description of the product? fair
The shelf fits perfectly in our space and the style is great, but the wood pieces look as if they have been glued together. There are cracks on the side pieces that appear to have been glued, caulked, and painted over in white, which completely ruins its modern aesthetic. For the price of the shelf, we're not bothering to send it back, but this is the first time we've been disappointed with the quality of an Overstock order.
Horrible, cheap, and slots are not cut properly to fit shelving. Wood had touch up paint from prior damage. It can not be properly assembled and I can not even bear the thought of having to take apart this sad, sad shelf. I am going to just throw it out and have a martini.
I expected the usual quality for self assembled furniture, but this shelf was worse than most. The long supports were warped, but I managed to put it together with the help of a cordless screwdriver. Once it was assembled and put in place, it was very unstable, and it didn't touch the wall at the top! That seemed like a design/engineering flaw, not just cheap materials. Luckily I was able to return it. Don't waste your time or money!
- How did the color on site compare with the actual product? accurate
- Please tell us about the quality of the product. arrived warped with scratches and dings, very unstable when assembled, unevenly painted
- How accurate was the on site description of the product? description was very short, so it didn't over-promise.
Despite the fact that there was a crack in one of the pieces and the quality was lower than anticipated, the shelf is the perfect size and very versatile for my son's room. He can move it around when he wants to change things around. It is plenty sturdy for him to place books or other model creations that he comes up with. We bought a second one for his room as well as we needed a matching set, and the second won had no broken pieces.
- How did the color on site compare with the actual product? color was right on
- Please tell us about the quality of the product. I felt the quality was overpriced. More along the lines of American Furniture Wherehouse. Should have cost $50-75 instead of $115. One of the main base pieces had a crack in it , but since it was shipped, I decided to keep it and hope it didn't fall apart.
- How accurate was the on site description of the product? Description was right on.
The finished product is just what we were looking for. The shelf units are smaller than others i've seen, but perfect for our son's nursery. Once you get started with putting it together it is very easy. the option to screw it into the wall makes sure it's not going anywhere!
Maybe my experience with Ikea made setting this up easier, but I didn't have the trouble with it that everyone else seemed to have. I took a look at the West Elm instructions after it arrived & had opened everything up, but by that point, it was already fairly self explanatory. Each shelf is marked with a sticker a-e, so things really aren't too bad. Shelf looks great, wish it were 2" wider, but the size is clearly marked on the website, so I knew what I was getting before I ordered it.
- How did the color on site compare with the actual product? exact
- Please tell us about the quality of the product. not solid wood, but that was described
- How accurate was the on site description of the product? exact
This is exactly what I wanted. I agree with a previous reviewer. The instructions were bad. My husband, who can put together anything, had a hard time. I remember that the other reviewer had noted this and pointed back to the West Elm shelving unit (which I was going to order on sale and this one was still about $60 cheaper because of the free shipping). The instructions are much better on West Elm. Aside from that, this is perfect. Thanks!
- Did the color match the color displayed onsite? Yes
- How is the quality of the product? Good
- Did the description onsite accurately describe the product? Yes
If it were possible to give zero stars, I would have. They ought to be ashamed of themselves for selling this at this price. It would have been a rip off at even half the price. Looks cheap and came out of the packaging cracked and scratched. It was way too inconvenient to return so I kept it but will likely replace it very soon. A complete and utter waste of time and money.