When I ordered this Computer Desk, based on the price and photos, I thought I'd be getting a mid-range product. I was pleasantly surprised that the quality of the wood, and the workmanship of the piece is MUCH nicer than expected! I paid twice the price for my last computer desk and it isn't as nice as this one! It was packed VERY well (extra padding is added on both sides so no worries about getting corners banged up unless grossly mishandled in shipping). I was not looking forward to the assembly of the piece -- but to find out all you need to complete, assembly wise, is screw on the legs with the little hex wrench which is supplied in the hardware pack. The instructions don't point this out -- but the legs are boxed separately and are securely put in the computer tray/drawer (with foam around the box to prevent moving around in shipping). The computer drawer / keyboard mouse holder slides out very smoothly, and to change from having it as just a drawer, to having it as a keyboard/mouse holder, you just simply unlatch two push pieces on the side of the drawer. This is a very solid -- well made desk - and is definitely a GREAT BUY!
- How did the color on site compare with the actual product? A little darker in person - actually nicer in person.
- Please tell us about the quality of the product. Very HIGH Quality especially for the price!
- How accurate was the on site description of the product? Accurate - but nicer in person.
Overall, the desk looks nice in design, and the color is a nice (dark) cherry wood stain. The legs of the desk appear thick enough and stable enough. The cord opening at the back of the drawer is sufficiently wide, and the plastic casing for the cord case is good. The drawer slide mechanism has a nice smooth glide and the front part of the drawer folds down nicely to perfectly level with the drawer base (which makes it easier to use the keyboard and mouse). Also, the assembly was fairly easy - just 4 legs to put on, with 2 bolts each. Particularly helpful is that the Allen wrench fits fully into the space where the bolts need to be turned - a design consideration that is sometimes missed, but helpfully not with this desk. The challenge with the desk is mainly quality of assembly and packaging. The first desk that I received (same model) was badly damaged - the drawer was cracked, there were large dents on the front and sides - however, the shipping box and styrofoam didn't have corresponding damage - they looked fine. Overstock customer service was excellent, I was able to get someone on the phone relatively quickly, they were very accommodating and friendly about the issue, and assisted me with arrangements to replace. The replacement desk was in much better shape, but unfortunately still had a dent on the side, a wood piece (not visible) has a crack, and the drawer when closed isn't flat against the front. (I am choosing not to replace again as I'm concerned the next one might be closed to the level of damage as the first). Also, the box mysteriously included about 5 wood screws which are not part of assembly but were loose in the box - fortunately I noticed them before my two-year old did, I haven't figured out if they came off the desk - there doesn't appear to be empty screw holes. One minor note on design, the drawer front is not secured by magnets as I expected, instead it's got latches that require a push down separately on both sides to get the drawer to open -a bit of an inconvenience to open, on the other hand (as opposed to a magnet mechanism which would be easier to open) it may keep a child from playing with it to the point of breaking it. If I could get the same desk for $100 +/- more, but have comfort that it could be delivered dent-free and crack free and have improved construction, I would go for that.
- How did the color on site compare with the actual product? Good
- Please tell us about the quality of the product. Poor
- How accurate was the on site description of the product? Good
I would recommend buying this desk. For the quality you get, it's a great price. The only downside was that there was one small chip on the front of the desk, so there is a small eyesore where the veneer is chipped away. Other than that, the desk was packed perfectly. Easy assembly and an altogether quality piece. The color is just as it appears on the site.
- How did the color on site compare with the actual product? Perfect
- Please tell us about the quality of the product. This desk looks very high end for the cost. The cherrywood veneer looks real and the quality of the hardware is equally as nice.
- How accurate was the on site description of the product? The on-site description of the product was great, except I wish I could have seen a demo photo of the drop down drawer. I read that in a few reviews, but didn't really understand how it worked until I received the desk in person.
This desk took minutes to put together (it actually took longer to get it out of the box than to build!). It is very solid and looks great. I am very happy with the product and would recommend highly.
- How did the color on site compare with the actual product? Color was accurate
- Please tell us about the quality of the product. Heavy and solid
- How accurate was the on site description of the product? Description good
I was looking for a very simple desk/table to put in my living room, when I came across this desk. Very well priced, and wood -- where the other items I found were equal to or more costly and usually composite and veneer. However, I was confused by the description that said there was a grommet for wire management, since I wanted the table to be free-standing (i.e., not up against a wall), so I submitted a question about that. My concern was whether there was a hole through the edge for wires -- so if you were facing the desk, you would see that hole. The reply to my question said this wouldn't be a problem. Well, not so. 3 inch hole with a wire guide, right in the desk edge. Although I am very bothered by this, I did decide to keep the desk because it's really beautiful, very substantial, looks like a much pricier piece and serves my purpose. Grommet and hole aside, I am very pleasantly surprised and impressed with the quality and value.
- How did the color on site compare with the actual product? spot on
- Please tell us about the quality of the product. excellent
- How accurate was the on site description of the product? fair...
This is a piece that you will be proud to put in any room of your home. It is not only sturdy and well made but very attractive and would enhance any decor, yet the functionality of the piece is great.
- How did the color on site compare with the actual product? color as described
- Please tell us about the quality of the product. Excellent quality-sturdy-attractive
- How accurate was the on site description of the product? as described
This desk arrived with a dent from shipping. I waffled about returning it, because of the hassle but decided to keep it because it is exactly what I wanted. Very nice looking! I have been searching for a writing table for my bedroom office for over 6 months and this is exactly what I wanted.
- How did the color on site compare with the actual product? yes
- Please tell us about the quality of the product. great
- How accurate was the on site description of the product? very good
I actually wanted to buy a table but could not anything that matched my restricted dimensions. This desk seemed like a good substitute and based on its rave reviews I purchased it. Arrived in good condition, very easy to assemble, and most of all, it is excellent quality and looks great. I am a happy, happy camper.
- How did the color on site compare with the actual product? precise
- Please tell us about the quality of the product. excellent quality
- How accurate was the on site description of the product? very accurate
We are extremely happy with the quality of this desk. It's solid, well made and has a beautiful finish which perfectly matched our existing bookcases. Similar to other reviewers, we had a problem with the quality control. The first one we received had multiple dents on the front top edge and the hardware was thrown loose into the box. The second one we received came without the drawer attached. The third one was fine and all we had to do was attach the legs. The customer service department was very apologetic and resolved the problems quickly.
I purchased this desk for my teenager's room and was very pleasantly surprised. It was well-made and extremely easy to put together. The wood is heavy and the finish is very nice. This was my first experience with overstock.com and with Westwood furniture and I will certainly continue to shop on the site.
This desk is very nice for the price. It is a small but still useful scale, perfect for our space, and it has a nice cherry finish. However, it arrived with a crack in the top and a dent in the front edge of the desk. I would have returned it but my husband had already assembled it by the time I saw it.
Desk was very easy to put together, did it myself, but a bit heavy for one person to move around. Otherwise easy to put on the legs and finish etc looks great. A bit less "red" than I expected - more brown tones. But I still love the color.
We were apprehensive because some reviewers' desks arrived with damage. Ours was well-packed and arrived in great shape. Given the price, this is an excellent item. Although not solid cherry, it looks very respectable alongside our other cherry furniture in the living room of our vacation house. It can easily serve as an extra table if we need it.