In spite of the problem I had, I gave this bookcase an excellent review, not only because I am highly satisfied with the product but also because Overstock's customer service was wonderfully responsive. It arrived quickly and was well-packaged. I counted all components and prepared to assemble. I noticed that one piece was improperly marked in the instructions but figured it out. After I began I noticed that the wood on the right side was split all the way through. I took pictures of the damaged piece and immediately filled out a return/replacement form on-line, my main worry being that I would have to repackage and send all back. They informed me that I need not send anything back but would have the damaged piece resent. Because of bad weather on both coasts, it took 10 days, during which I worried that the wrong side would be sent. However, they send both sides as replacement and I was able to finish assembling quickly. This sturdy bookcase looks as pictured, I have my favorite books on all 3 shelves, some of which are quite heavy. This is my 3rd purchase from Overstock with a 4th on the way. I love the products and their customer service is 2nd to none.
I was a bit worried when I had read other reviews about similar looking book cases (the long skinny ones). The cheaper ones had terrible reviews that's why I went with the more expensive version of this bookcase and it's great!! Easy to put together (all screws fit into holes, directions were ok---I mean, I figured it out!!) and the wood looks beautiful and it fits exactly in the space I needed. Nice product and worth the money.
Absolutely gorgeous piece. It's made of high quality, thick, sturdy REAL wood throughout. The design is well thought-out and makes for a sturdy structure. The finish of the wood is shiny, very smooth and gorgeously colored. I love love love this item. I cannot say a bad word about it. The pieces all fit together perfectly and setup was easy. This is my fourth piece that I've bought in the Normandy line and am going to get even more. That's how much I love the wood quality, the chocolate color and the overall quality.
I had a little trouble with the vee portion but a little sand paper made it fit like a glove! Easy to put together and fits my space perfectly! Would highly recommend.
- How did the color on site compare with the actual product? Very well
- Please tell us about the quality of the product. Sturdy and well built,
- How accurate was the on site description of the product? Right on
Very sturdy piece. Fit just were I needed it to. Would get another if I had a spot for it.
- How did the color on site compare with the actual product? Perfect!
- Please tell us about the quality of the product. Very Solid
- How accurate was the on site description of the product? Spot on!
I love this bookshelf. It is a beautiful piece of furniture. It was easy to assemble. The directions for assembly were easy to follow too. I suggest waiting to insert the Cam Locks until after the shelves are in place. First screw all the Cam Lock Pins in place on both shelf legs. Fit the holes with the wooden dowels. Then place the shelves, one at a time, and insert the Cam Locks into their slots. Last tighten the Cam Locks. I found wearing a headlamp made the assembly go faster. The bookshelf is constructed of solid pine wood and is sturdy and heavy enough that it wont tip over. Pine is a soft wood so it will dent that is why it is wise to follow the instructions and use a rubber mallet rather than a hammer. The top shelf is wide enough to display pictures or knickknacks or to use as an additional bookshelf. I use a portion of it as a table with a protector for the wood. I use the lower shelf for storing pads of writing paper and pads of note paper and extra tall books. The middle shelf is ideal for easy access to books. I use mine for writing references as the bookshelf sits next to my desk.
- How did the color on site compare with the actual product? Exactly like it.
- Please tell us about the quality of the product. Excellent, heavy, and all wood.
- How accurate was the on site description of the product? 100% accurate.
After having read some negative reviews regarding assembly and quality, I almost did not purchase. I'm glad the reviews did not prevent me from purchasing this because I love this bookcase. There was a typo in the instructions (it labeled one piece "B" when it should have been something else) but it was not hard to figure it out based on the drawing and from just looking at the piece itself. There are only 6 wood pieced together, it's all predrilled so it's pretty easy to see where everything goes. I like that it's real wood (not particle board). It did chip when I tried to put a screw in a hole that was a little too small, but luckily it does not show.
- How did the color on site compare with the actual product? Color depicted is accurate.
- Please tell us about the quality of the product. Close to perfect
- How accurate was the on site description of the product? Accurate
We are very happy with this piece, it has met our needs.
- How did the color on site compare with the actual product? accurate
- Please tell us about the quality of the product. great, sturdy
- How accurate was the on site description of the product? accurate