My headboard came with a big hole punched through it, showing what is most definitely particle board under veneer. Some parts of the bed appear to be solid wood, and overall the bed looks great; I just wish Overstock would be more honest about the construction materials. Also, in the product Q&A it says this bed was made in the USA, but the boxes have "made in Malaysia" stamped all over them. Zero stars to Overstock for honesty, but the bed itself is pretty nice and feels solid (particle board notwithstanding). There's a little off-gassing; it's not overwhelming, but enough to make me want to air it out for a few days before sleeping in it. If it doesn't dissipate, i'll update the review.
- How accurate was the on site description of the product? Not solid wood, not made in USA
I searched high and low for an affordable bed before I finally found this one. It is very high quality, easy to assemble and I love the design! In my search through furniture store after furniture store, I was frustrated by the high cost and apparent low quality of most beds out there. The Vilas bed is HEAVY rubberwood with a gorgeous rich, deep color, and solid construction. The linear frame is well balanced by the tapered legs that give it a neat design twist. One thing I was a little worried about before I hit the "order" button was the possibility that the height of the headboard would appear disproportionately dominant. However, once I assembled it and put my 12" mattress in, it looked perfectly proportioned. I haven't taken measurements of the underbed clearance, but my underbed bins were about 1/8" too tall for this. This was easily remedied by putting rubber furniture pads under the legs. Voila!! I would highly recommend this product to anyone, but I'm hoping no one I know buys it so that I can maintain the illusion that I found a one-of-a-kind, handcrafted design piece! Love it!
- How did the color on site compare with the actual product? as pictured
- Please tell us about the quality of the product. high quality
- How accurate was the on site description of the product? accurate
Little background to help you put this review in perspective... I'm a 27 year old guy living in New York. I buy many, many things online, but only from reputable companies/manufacturers, so I was more than a little apprehensive about buying something like a bed frame from Overstock, where its often not exactly clear who the manufacturer of a given item even is. However, at the time of purchase (September 2011), there were 38 very detailed and helpful reviews for it, and they painted enough of a positive picture that I took the risk and ordered it (it also just happened that as I was about to order, I noticed that Overstock was offering *FREE* shipping that day! It would have normally been around $120 extra). It arrived very quickly the packaging had received a small amount of damage during shipping, but after opening it up I was relieved to find that all pieces were very carefully packaged in Styrofoam and were in pristine condition. Had to put it together by myself which (as others have said) did take longer, but was not impossible. Overall it took me (with a drill) around 2.5 hours to do, but FYI, Im pretty meticulous with these things so itll probably take others less. Once together, the bed felt great, very solid. All pieces appeared to me to be solid wood and it turns out they are - A family friend of mine whos a retired architectural carpenter happened to swing by my place and said its all solid wood and that by every indication, its well made. As you can imagine, having an authority on carpentry say its well made was very nice to hear. So to sum it up, this bed is simply amazing, and at only $*** (as of this writing), its a steal.
- How did the color on site compare with the actual product? Matches perfectly
- Please tell us about the quality of the product. Very good
- How accurate was the on site description of the product? Very good
I ordered the "Vilas" set (excluding the high dresser which was not in stock at the time) and can say that this bed wasn't too difficult putting together by yourself. The only area where you would need help with is latching the side panels and the headboard together, because it takes some lifting. I tried doing this alone and the headboard fell on my foot and it is still bruised till this day (it's been over a month). Suffice to say, this bed is sturdy and solid, and doesn't wobble around. I have a couple issues/ comments, and WARNINGS to a potential buyers: 1. As mentioned by other reviews, this bed does not have support legs at the head or foot of the bed, just leg one in the center. Someone mentioned their "fix" was to add brackets at the center head & foot beam, however I did not want to ruin the lovely finish by drilling unnecessary holes into it. MY solution was to buy a small 2"x2" piece of wood to make another set of legs at the center head, and center foot. I ended up only putting it at the head, because you can see the legs at the foot of the bed if I were to put it there - something I was not happy with aesthetically. 2. The 12 slats may be sufficient for some, but since this was going to be my first time having a bed without a box spring, I wanted more support. I ended up buying two pieces of particle board and laying it on top of the slats - this gave me the extra support I wanted - especially with a memory foam mattress. 3. ULTIMATE WARNING: After buying a 12" memory foam from Overstock as well, it did NOT fit into the bed frame! The INTERIOR measurements of the bed frame are 59.5" W x 79.5" L... where all Queen mattresses are a standard 60x80. BIG PROBLEM. I'm positive the mattress was even larger than 60x80 because the memory foam expands - so it hangs off the bed about an inch. I'm curious to know what kind of mattress all other reviewers have purchased and how they made it fit?!
- How did the color on site compare with the actual product? Color is darker than pictured
- Please tell us about the quality of the product. Sturdy. Solid.
- How accurate was the on site description of the product? Interior Dimensions not listed - problem with size of bed
My partner and I love the bed! It looks like a bed that would be sold in Room and Board. The bed was delivered in three separate boxes when it was delivered. Because of the good craftsmanship and weight of the wood, I will advise that two people assemble the bed. We opted for a 12 memory foam mattress as the bed does not accommodate a box spring. Great price point, nice clean lines, and fantastic quality. Keep up the good work Overstock!
Had this bed for almost a year. No problems whatsoever. I really love it. I'm a heavy girl too, and this thing is SOLID. My brother and i put it together without issues. I use a memory foam mattress and kind of have to stuff it in. I like that though, because it just means my mattress has no room to slide! Overall, one of my best purchase on here!
- How did the color on site compare with the actual product? Similar
- Please tell us about the quality of the product. Great quality.
- How accurate was the on site description of the product? Good.
This bed is SOLID and easy to assemble. The only issue I had with it, is that they provide square legs for the middle of it to hold up the slats. These legs are FLUSH with the floor, and the slats are softer wood, so when you move the bed, if you don't pick it up (would take 3 people), these legs break off and they ruin the slats - though the slats are somewhat easy to replace....you still can avoid this by not moving the bed around the room by shoving it....
- How did the color on site compare with the actual product? Exact if not better
- Please tell us about the quality of the product. Excellent
- How accurate was the on site description of the product? Could have been better
We were nervous buying an entire bedroom set online but Overstock has never let us down before. This bed and coordinating pieces are exactly what we were looking for. I'd never heard of rubberwood before so was a little skeptical but it is a solid piece. The bed looks sleek and modern. The color is very rich and matches todays decor style. There is not much under bed storage because of how low it is to the ground but we did end up storing some shoe boxes under there. The height of the headboard with only the mattress (no box spring) and pillows is perfect. With a 14 inch mattress, the headboard is about 20 inches above. The boxes were damaged when delivered but items were packed well and arrived fast and in perfect condition. Highly recommended and no complaints at all.
- How did the color on site compare with the actual product? beautiful
- Please tell us about the quality of the product. hard wood
- How accurate was the on site description of the product? perfect
We are VERY happy with this bed. It took less than an hour to assemble. There were a couple pilot holes missing on the middle support but the wood is soft enough that we didn't need to drill. The bed is very sturdy and I hope I never have to move it because it is heavy. Perfect as a platform but could also use a box spring. It could use a couple more slats but the 12 is okay.
- How did the color on site compare with the actual product? Actual color exactly as pictured
- Please tell us about the quality of the product. Very solid and sturdy although not all "solid" wood.
- How accurate was the on site description of the product? Accurate enough for a positive purchase
We have had this frame for almost two years now. It is solid and still in excellent condition. I would highly recommend this product!
- How did the color on site compare with the actual product? Excellent
- Please tell us about the quality of the product. Excellent
- How accurate was the on site description of the product? Excellent
I just received and have had the bed for 2 days. I can't speak to how it will hold up over time, but it is solidly constructed. Assembly is very straight forward. I did it myself in about 1 1/2 hrs. I'd recommend 2 people for ease and quickness. The only complaint I have is that I was expecting the color to be more like the photo and a little lighter and more....verigated (as in the photo). The actual product that I received is more of a solid dark color (which also looks good--I just doesn't match my other furniture, like I expected it would). It was shipped well (boxes were beat up) in 3 LARGE boxes. Impressive that shipping is so low for such large product! Just a note: the height (with mattress) is higher than I expected and not as low as in the picture. Most mattresses today are 12-13 inches. As such, the height comes just below the lower line on the headboard--about 2-3 inches lower than a standard bed and box spring. This is not a complaint of the product just information for future purchasers.
- How did the color on site compare with the actual product? Actual product was darker than the picture
- Please tell us about the quality of the product. Solid
- How accurate was the on site description of the product? Very Accurate
So I had been meticulous and read all the reviews and was a little nervous about the no drilled holes and not enough slats, for no reason it turned out. The bed is heavy, but that's because it's a solid piece of furniture, absolutely beautiful! The color was spot on compared to the picture and exactly what I was hoping for. The slats themselves are pre-drilled but the holes on the side rails aren't, It was easy to do with an electric screw driver [not a drill] and a last hand twist. no problems at all. As far as the "not enough slats" they must be crazy, no offense, there were waaay more than enough slats. I'm only 5 ft and under 100lbs so I have tiny legs and there was barely enough room for my leg to fit between each slat as I was screwing them in because there are so many. I don't do the whole box spring thing, and it's super comfy! As I mentioned before I'm tiny, it was heavy managing the headboard but I did put the entire thing together on my own in about an hour. So if I can do it anyone can! It looks wonderful all set up, I couldn't be more thrilled!
- How did the color on site compare with the actual product? Exactly as shown
- Please tell us about the quality of the product. Superior quality
- How accurate was the on site description of the product? extremely accurate
It's a very sturdy bed, despite simple and easy assembly. I put this bed together twice (and disassembled once), and it's still very sturdy after second assembly. Only complaint I have is the foot end is protrudes a lot, and it's inevitable you should hit your shin on the hard corner.. but I drape a blanket over the foot end, so this has only happened once ever.
- How did the color on site compare with the actual product? Slightly darker than expected but I don't mind.
- Please tell us about the quality of the product. It's a very sturdy bed, despite simple and easy assembly. I put this bed together twice (and disassembled once), and it's still very sturdy after second assembly.
- How accurate was the on site description of the product? The description was indeed quite accurate.
I bought this in late April 2013 for ~460 dollars. This is the first bed i have ever purchased and i am very satisfied about this purchase. Shipped fast and free. The cardboard box arrived damaged, but the packaging is extremely good. I had zero damage to the wood. Setup took me about 35-40 minutes without screwing in each plank. The bed is really sturdy and works well with my memory foam mattress. The headboard looks really big in the picture on overstock but in reality it fits quite well with the environment. This bed looks sharp and just happens to match other furniture. I'd recommend buying this bed soon so you can avoid future internet taxes.
- How did the color on site compare with the actual product? Exact
Yet again I was completely satisfied with an Overstock purchase. When I ordered the bed there was an estimated delivery date, the bed arrived exactly on the date. I really appreciated the reliability, because I was in the process of moving. The bed arrived in three large boxes. It took a little bit of effort to put it together (drilling in the slats took the most time) but it was probably an hour overall. I did not find that the slats were too few or too widely spaced. We have a very heavy, thick Queen-sized memory foam mattress and the slats along with the midbeam provide plenty of support. Overall I'm very pleased with this purchase. The bed is sturdy and looks great. The price was right. And the convenience of Overstock's shipping and delivery is exceptional.
The bed arrived quickly and I was eager to put it together. Started at about 3:00 in the afternoon and was sleeping on it that night. I was worried because some of the reviews suggested it was difficult to put together. Admittedly, I am handy with a screw driver, but I'm certainly no carpenter. Nevertheless, I enjoyed assembling the pieces and watching my new bed take shape. I would certainly recommend this product if asked. It was perfect for me.
- How did the color on site compare with the actual product? As expected.
- Please tell us about the quality of the product. The materials are as I expected, not better or worse. Everything came ready to be assembled; all pieces fit as they should and everything went together quite easily.
- How accurate was the on site description of the product? Exactly - just as it was described
For the price/cost analysis, this bed is hard to beat. It is very easy to put together, and it looks amazing. The style is exactly what I was going for (mid-century modern) without wanting to pay over $1k for a bed. The nightstand that came with this bed was great too. I highly recommend a set. The only reason why I gave it four stars is just as some reviewers have noted this is not actually that solid. It certainly feels heavy, but it is quite easy to chip off the covering of it.
- How did the color on site compare with the actual product? Very accurately
The bed has a beautiful finish and wash easy to assemble. Once you get it together you can tell that it will be sturdy. We went from a pretty high bed though, so we are getting used to a bed quite a bit lower. Don't put a box spring though, you will lose the great look of that headboard. We ordered a 5 inch feather bed topper which gave as a couple more inches and is like sleeping on a cloud. It is working out perfectly.
- How did the color on site compare with the actual product? very good
- Please tell us about the quality of the product. excellent
- How accurate was the on site description of the product? very accurate