Got two of these desks (the second was a replacement of the first, which we had hoped was defective). Both suffer from the same problem - the finish comes right off the desk exposing all white material. This happens from normal use - moving a keyboard around, moving paper around, etc... It happened immediately with both desks, during the first day of use. I would not buy this desk if you expect the finish to last. Having said all of this, if you are looking for a sturdy nice sized (this is the largest desk of its kind/style I found anywhere) then this is the desk for you. For its price, the desk is surprisingly sturdy and well made, but the finish is some sort of spray on cheap stuff. Overstock is fantastic with returns, so A+ for that Overstock, but this desk shouldn't even be offered for sale without a disclaimer.
- How did the color on site compare with the actual product? Exact
- Please tell us about the quality of the product. Poor, the finish comes right off from normal use.
- How accurate was the on site description of the product? Perfect
The desk is sturdy and well made. It was easy to assemble. It is a simple desk with two drawers. The drawers have no glides but work very well. I really like the quality black finish. It is not just the color but also the smoothness of the flat surfaces, all edges and corners of tabletop and all legs that are so pleasant to the touch. It is a handsome student desk and an excellent value. I am very pleased with its function and appearance. I highly recommend the product.
I set out to find a desk that would work in my apartment bedroom alongside a queen size bed. I really liked the silhouette of the West Elm Parsons desk but the price tag was a bit high for my student budget. This desk is a great substitute and ended up being exactly what I was looking for. It has a fairly small footprint but still has plenty of space for me to comfortably keep my laptop and external monitor running while sketching notes in my notebook. Just be aware that the drawers are fairly shallow so your stapler and tape dispenser may have to live on the corner of the desk. Even though they aren't very deep I get plenty of use out of them to store paper, pens, envelopes, and other knick knacks. The assembly was incredibly easy, just a couple minutes to Allen wrench the four legs into place and I was all set. The desk seems to be well constructed and is sturdy enough not to wiggle around while I'm writing or typing.
- How did the color on site compare with the actual product? Accurate, black with light shine
- Please tell us about the quality of the product. Good quality, Sturdy
I wanted to wait a while before writing this review so that I could be more comprehensive. This desk looks great. It's sleek, glossy, and contemporary. However there are several major problems with it. When I received it, both drawers had HUGE cracks in them, to the point of interfering with their purpose (one of them only opens halfway. They're also so shallow that three stacks of normal post-its are too tall to fit. Like a few other reviews stead, the finish does chip when nearly anything touches it. I'm fairly meticulous about my desk space and being careful of the surface, but this is my main desk and after 8-9 month, its got specks of white ALL over it. I wish it had been cheaper... maybe worth $80-100 given that I'll have to replace it soon. I'd have returned it when I first received it with cracked drawers and the first chip that my carpet (yes, carpet) gave it while assembling, however the shipping process with this company is such a hassle that I just gave up and counted my losses there. I did struggle with 2 or 3 starts in the rating, given that theoretically, this could be a nice desk without its flaws. I hope this review comes off as fair as possible. I hate to be the one with the negative review amongst a bunch of good ones... hopefully others have had better experiences than me.
- How did the color on site compare with the actual product? Same
- Please tell us about the quality of the product. Poor
- How accurate was the on site description of the product? Fits description, but other information would have been helpful.
This is my second one I bought the first one in 2008 and my hubby wanted it so I finally purchased another for matching desks in our office....I have my printer, flat screen and computer on this desk. 2 handy drawers also...I know not to get water on it according to past reviews and they are very strong desks! So easy to put together the drawers are already in.
- How did the color on site compare with the actual product? Perfectly Black
- Please tell us about the quality of the product. Classic
- How accurate was the on site description of the product? 100%
nice slim profile- looks very modern. just attach the legs (2 people make the job much easier) and you're ready to go! the drawers- while deep- are quite shallow.
- How did the color on site compare with the actual product? satin finish black
- Please tell us about the quality of the product. nice finish; sturdy
- How accurate was the on site description of the product? excellant
I was looking for a simple yet sleek desk for my bedroom. I really liked the simplicity and modernity of this desk. It arrived quickly, and I think it was easy to assemble (thank you, boyfriend, for sparing me that job). It looks great, and it was fairly inexpensive, however other reviews were accurate in indicating that the finish comes off very easily. The smallest, most minor of scratches have taken off the finish. I knew this buying the desk, so I am not going to return it, and still think the style and design along with the cost make it a worthwhile purchase.
- How did the color on site compare with the actual product? Exact
- Please tell us about the quality of the product. Good quality... not the best.
- How accurate was the on site description of the product? Very accurate
My first desk arrived damaged (bottom of one of the drawers was broken), and the customer service was great! Long story short because UPS did not come to pick it up I got to keep it and will put it to good use in my son's first post college apt! The second one that came was in great shape except for a small nick on the front which was easily colored in with black magic marker. It is a beautiful piece and feels solid, easy to put together (just the legs), but I can see how the finish would chip easily. I am using it in a guest room so I'm sure it will be fine. I put a blotter on top so a laptop won't chip it and it's great. Other reviews talked about the finish chipping easily. For the price I think its great!
I bought this desk because I really liked the look. Very IKEA-esque. However, the top of the desk chips very easily, even from normal office use. I've had to use a Sharpie on 10-15 different spots after owning it for 3 months. If this desk was $40-50 (like IKEA would likely price it), I would understand, but $130 is too much for the poor quality of the finish.
We were really impressed how how solid & sturdy this desk was when it arrived. It was also quite easy to assemble; my 10 year old did it herself. I wish I could find more pieces of furniture like this. It looks fantastic, & was a good value in my eyes.
Saw that it rated well and liked the styling so I went ahead and ordered. However, I read after I ordered about the chipping problem. I tried to cancel but I was too late. I would have to send it back. I even bought a plastic mat for it at office store right from the beginning but yup...the top chips very easy and white specs where it chips are showing up. I am not even sure what caused the chipping. I think I set down my keys. It is a desktop for got sakes and it shouldn't chip from basic regular use. I would not recommend this product.
urchased this desk because they stated it is made of wood. Well, upon arrival, It already had scratches on the black surface that showed what appeared to be a white or light grey plastic for a base. As we put the piece together, it seemed every time a surface was touched, it scratched off the black and showed the white color. I wanted to return the piece immediately but the return shipping prevented me from doing so. As it is, upon assemly-NEW OUT OF THE BOX- I had to use a cloth to cover the very, very low-quality and ugly desk. DO NOT BUY!!!!!!
- How did the color on site compare with the actual product? exact
- Please tell us about the quality of the product. The black finish is some sort of coated product. Honestly, if you drag your almost empty backpack across it, you will have many permanent scratches. It's like a cheap protective coating with a very bad white color under it.
- How accurate was the on site description of the product? Very inaccurate. I am the most cautious and careful of people with finishes on furniture. As we were putting this piece together (very gently) it showed many, many scratches.
Good desk for a teenage boy! It fit perfect in my sons room!
- How did the color on site compare with the actual product? Great
- Please tell us about the quality of the product. Nice and sturdy, perfect for a teenager!
- How accurate was the on site description of the product? Very