I've assembled the first of the 2 batches of these chairs that I ordered. I was skeptical thinking these chairs may be flimsy, but they have turned out to be nice and solid!! Here are some additional details about the chairs that might be useful: * the chairs weight about 15lbs a piece and feel very solid when you pick them up. * the frame construction uses pocket screws (hex bolts actually). * there are at least two hex bolts for attaching each leg to the frame -- perpendicular to each other -- so if the chair loosens you can tight up that hex bolt. * the chairs are made of rubberwood, which has about the same density at maple, though it is more porous so not a durable. (over time we'll see if that is the case) http://www.answerbag.com/q_view/2011912
Be prepared for an all day, exhausting project if you buy these. Every single part of the chair is a separate piece. Your hands and back will ache by the time you are finished and it indeed takes two people to get this done. After the first chair, we developed a sort of assembly linre process but still it took all day. This puts new meaning to the phrase "assembly required." The end product is sturdy enough, though we ended up with one split leg and partially split lower back. The leg was easy enough to replace but nothing could be done about the back without taking the entire chair apart. I was not about to put together one more of these chairs. This a hard call becauise the end product is a good deal, but I would not have purchased these had I known how hard it would be to assemble them.
Excellent value. Yes, you have to put the chairs together, but the effort/time is worth the savings. These same chairs at a local furniture place would have cost me 6x as much! We boought 2 sets (8 chairs), so it took some time to put together, but with the help of a friend, we had them done in a couple of hours total. Once you get the first one figured out they go together quickly.
Great chairs once they're put together. After the first one it is a little less difficult. The manufacturer could have supplied covers for the screw holes as they are quite large and give the chair an unfinished look. The chairs are sturdy though and should last for quite a while. Great value for the price,
- How did the color on site compare with the actual product? The color was perfect.
- Please tell us about the quality of the product. Quality is average. Some holes for screws were missing and then there were some holes that served no purpose.
- How accurate was the on site description of the product? The description was accurate.
These chairs are GREAT for the price. Yes, you see the screw heads on the side of the chair. However they are black to help them blend - and you aren't paying very much per chair for this product! I was missing a few screws, which overstock was VERY responsive to my inquiry and I am expecting the missing pieces any day now. So far the chairs seem very solid. I am very happy with the value of this product.
So far it meets my needs and about what I'd expect from a relatively cheap set. Although, the wood is pretty soft and thin so when assembling it the wood cracked in a number of places. None that are visible, but it remains to be seen how that will impact the longevity. I just noticed last night (after about a month of very minimal use) that the paint on the top of the table seems to be cracking or at least raising up like the wood underneath is cracked. From what I can tell this will fit the bill for what I need for the near term under light usage. If you're looking for something that will get used daily and not so gently, I might look elsewhere
- How did the color on site compare with the actual product? matched
- Please tell us about the quality of the product. quality is ok
The little alan wrench they give you would have been a real pain to use. Using my screw driver with a hex end attached took me almost 3 hours to put all these chairs together. I found I had to tighten the screws connecting the seat to the back after a couple of days worth of use. I've had the chairs for a couple of weeks and they seem great so far. Pay attention to the height. These chairs are not tall by any means. But I recommend them. Excellent chairs.
- How did the color on site compare with the actual product? Exact match
- Please tell us about the quality of the product. Good quality
- How accurate was the on site description of the product? Good
I am very pleased with the dining chairs. I feel I have received 4 decent chairs for the best price around. I was looking for kitchen chairs that would work well for 3 growing and destructive children (and myself). These chairs are perfect. I was surprised by the seat portion of the chair; it is made out of some kind of particle board (not wood) and then covered with something. But I have realized after a bit of use that they are more durable for my children and very easy to clean. Regarding the comments/reviews about assembling the chairs; I was expecting a huge project. I was happy to find the assembly easy and not nearly as time consuming as some of the other reviews had implied. I guess I expect and don't mind some work involved when you are paying this price.
- How did the color on site compare with the actual product? It compared well.
- Please tell us about the quality of the product. Moderately durable.
- How accurate was the on site description of the product? I was happy I read the reviews and knew I would be assembling the chairs.
THESE ARE WELL MADE & WERE EASY TO PUT TOGETHER. THE INSTRUCTIONS WERE WELL WRITTEN...I AM WELL SATISFIED.
- How did the color on site compare with the actual product? yes
- Please tell us about the quality of the product. very good
- How accurate was the on site description of the product? perfect
After reading all of the other reviews, I decided to take a chance on these chairs. I am very pleased with them. Once I got the first one together, the rest were a breeze! I would highly recommend them!
- How did the color on site compare with the actual product? black
- Please tell us about the quality of the product. very good
- How accurate was the on site description of the product? very good
These are attractve looking, well built, sturdy chairs. They were easy to assemble but a little time consuming. I purchased 8 chairs and it took me about 2 hours to put them all together. The directions were not as clear as they could be but with a little logic, they went together. Once you get the first one assembled, the rest go much more quickly.
- How did the color on site compare with the actual product? Color was as expected
- Please tell us about the quality of the product. Sturdy chairs, nicely built.
- How accurate was the on site description of the product? Matched the site description
the quality is VERY good. very heavy, not the least bit wobbly. No one would guess they were SO inexpensive! amazing bargain! would recommend to anyone! they fit booster seats fabulously and are VERY study and safe - don't worry at all about the kids sitting and/or wiggling in them! fabulous!
- How did the color on site compare with the actual product? exactly the same
- Please tell us about the quality of the product. VERY good
- How accurate was the on site description of the product? very accurate
Patience is required - these chairs have lots of nuts and bolts. Took me about 2 hours for the first chair, after studying the rather confusing directions. Subsequent chairs were faster - still, a lot of parts. I am thinking of gluing on the seats - the little wood screws provided are pretty insubstantial. Don't tighten everything down until the seats are in place (which the directions say at the very end). All in all, great for the money, if you have time.
- How did the color on site compare with the actual product? Perfect
- Please tell us about the quality of the product. Nice quality
- How accurate was the on site description of the product? good
The chairs are nice and heavy. But as the other reviewers stated they are very hard to put together. Some of the materials were defective or missing for putting them together. Luckily I got more sent to me with no problem. In the end they look nice and I am so far happy with them.
- How did the color on site compare with the actual product? same
- Please tell us about the quality of the product. good
- How accurate was the on site description of the product? same
Good luck putting these chairs together! The angle that you have to be at to join the legs to rest of the body is close to impossible. To top it off when you do get them together a good majority of the screws will be stripped. We've had these in use for less than two months and we are constantly having to try (stress try) to tighten them. Not only that, five have gone in the trash from having broken legs or backs.
I would buy more of these chairs if needed. They are a bit uncomfortable, but cushions help that right away.
- How did the color on site compare with the actual product? seemed to match to what it says on the description
- Please tell us about the quality of the product. There were a few dents, but I think they were do to the manufacturer's crating. Also, one seat did not fit properly, but it is not noticeable and does not affect the use of the chair
- How accurate was the on site description of the product? Right on with the description.
These chairs are very small and did not look like a good size for my 42" round table. They would probably work well in a small space with a cafe' table. Each chair took my husband and i about an hour to put together and we are very handy. They seem sturdy and I will put them in storage and use them when i need extra seating.
I really wanted to love these chairs, and I had very fair expectations. Of course I didn't expect incredible quality at this price point, but I wanted sturdy chairs that functioned well. These chairs are sturdy and they look pretty good, but six of the eight chairs wobble! The legs are uneven! I have built and rebuilt these chairs, but the wobble is not my fault - the pilot holes in the legs are simply uneven. I cannot give anything above one star for chairs that are infuriatingly uneven. That's the most basic requirement for a chair, isn't it? Also, the bolts to fasten the legs to the chair are visible along the outside of the chair, so you won't fool anyone into thinking you purchased nice prebuilt dining chairs.
These chairs took forever to assemble. The instructions are not clear and the pieces not well marked. It took several hours for two mechanically inclined people to assemble them. Poor alignment was also an issue. With minimal use (once a day, if that), the screws frequently loosened and needed to be re-tightened. This happened a LOT. Once chair broke after about 8 months, with the front support beam splitting lengthwise and the front leg collapsing. A second chair followed two months later, with the SAME defect occurring and leg collapsing. As stated, these chairs are used AT MOST once a day for dinner. We weigh, at most, 150 lbs., the majority of us much less. I contacted Overstock to get information on how to get the support replaced for the chairs and was told that they could not help me. Now I'm stuck with two broken chairs, and two that will likely break sometime in the future if the design/batch is all the same. I do NOT recommend these chairs unless you want to consistently repair them and don't intend to use them.