Let me start off by statting that this bed is even more beautiful in person than it is on the website. Assembling the the bed was a bit of a challenge because of the weight of the pieces. Everything is real wood and it is very sturdy, but oh so heavy, so if you are thinking about purchasing this bed, be prepared to receive 3 heavy boxes. The instructions given are simple and very easy to follow but I would recomment having at LEAST one other person help in the process. The biggest challenge was screwing in the headboard to the frame because it has to be at a certain elevation to screw the headboard into the frame, but I just ended up using some hardcover books to support the headboard as opposed to lifting the whole headboard. Out of the three boxes that contained the parts, the box that held the headboard was the heaviest. The support slats seem very sturdy since they are made out of wood as well. Included are all the screws and washers needed in addition to two hex tools that will be needed for the process. The only additionaly hardware that you will need is a philips head screw driver. The description of the bed states that a box spring is needed but this is not true. After the bed is fully assembled, you will not need a box spring unless you want your mattress to be very high off of the ground. I am currently using a 14 inch memory foam mattress with this bed and it covers a good portion of the headboard, so if you actually want to be able to see your headboard or if you want your mattress to be low off the ground, you might want to use a thinner mattress with this bed (without the boxspring). Maybe about 10 inches or less but that is up to you. The only complaint that I have is not about the actual product itself, but rather about the customer service person who answered the question that I posted on the website, because the information that they gave me in regards to the bed slats and the box spring was not accurate and I ended up purchasing additional support slats that I did not need.. Otherwise, I would say that this bed is beautiful (once it is fully assembled), very sturdy and it is worth every red cent.
- How did the color on site compare with the actual product? The color was very accurate
- Please tell us about the quality of the product. The quality was better than what I was expecting
- How accurate was the on site description of the product? A bit misleading, because the description states that a box spring is needed.
Received bed within a week or ordering. Product is beautiful and I love it overall but parts of the bed (not really visible) were a bit damaged during shipping. Some chips here and there...nothing serious but obviously not in perfect condition. Not difficult to put together (under an hour) with right equiptment (power drill) and strong boyfriend :)
- How did the color on site compare with the actual product? same
- Please tell us about the quality of the product. nice sturdy hard wood
- How accurate was the on site description of the product? accurate
1) the bed is LOW. The top of the border is 8.5'' from the floor and with a 8'' mattress is 15'' from the floor. The space between the border and the floor is 3.5'' 2) the assembly is not easy, you would need someone to help you, especially when assembling the headboard. You would need an electronic screwdriver (with good power) and a hammer. It took me around 2 hours to assembly it and we were 2 persons with the right tools. 3) In my case, one of the sides didn't fit perfectly and there is a tiny border that is noticeable after the assembly. Is not something to worry about, but the assembly doesn't fit perfectly. For a bed that is over 500usd, I would expect a perfect fit. 4) The wood is heavy and very sturdy. The packages are huge and will require two persons to move them without wheels. If you leave in an apartment, its very likely that the concierge will call to receive them, is not something easy to handle. But hey, that is because it is good materials and you can notice that once you open the packages and assemble the bed. My scoring is not excellent because the assembly fit is not perfect.
- How did the color on site compare with the actual product? matches
- Please tell us about the quality of the product. wood is nice, but the assembly doesnt fit perfectly
- How accurate was the on site description of the product? accurate
I recommend but be careful walking around the bed. The bed sits very low on the floor. Because of that, the hard wood, the platform and the sharp angles, I got hurt several times already walking close by. They are not very serious wounds, but quite painful scratches when my foot brush against the low platform. I wish it came with some soft material that I can attach at the sharp angles... ... Other than that, I have to say that it is a good look bed and very sturdy. The instruction that came with the wood though is not exactly correct in a couple places and it took us a while to figure out the right way.
- How did the color on site compare with the actual product? Match
- Please tell us about the quality of the product. Good
Solid solid bed, would buy again, only thing is the slats it comes with are pre-drilled, but the frame itself is not so a drill is required. sort of a hassle if your moving and do not own a drill. Other wise this is for sure a good buy.
- How did the color on site compare with the actual product? straight black
- Please tell us about the quality of the product. solid
This is an excellent piece of furniture. It is all hardwood, including the slats. The espresso color is essentially black. Very nice. Very contemporary and modern platform bed. Very pleased. High quality. Only downside: A pain to put together. Assembly is quite challenging, but rewarding once finished.
The bed came with great instructions, all the hardware needed, and was built very well. It came in three boxes each weighing about 70 lbs, and had ample Styrofoam. You will need at least a Phillips head screw driver and possibly a screw gun with Phillips tip to make the job easier. It would have been very helpful to have a second pair of hands for the headboard installation but I was able to supplement that with some DVD cases. I am happy with my purchase, and would recommend this frame to friends.
Great sturdy bed. Recommend this bed to any one who likes platform beds. Took a little time to put together because I did have a screw drill but all in all not that time consuming. Excellent quality and wood. From Manila quality wood. Cannot have beaten the price anywhere
Good price for a good looking bed frame ! After several years of having the bed frame I found out few issues such as the slots panel and support under were not as strong as the bed frame. The warranty service from Guardsman is awful. When it broke I called the "Guardsman" to service the bed, it took them more than 2weeks before coming over to service it. And when the guy came I saw him trying to glued in the broken pieces, I said should you not replace it with a new piece rather than just gluing it? The guy said he doesn't have the spare. I did sent photos of it so that you would have the spare parts to replace it...he said he will have to order. I've waited for many days and he didn't came back. Then I called Guardsmen again and they said I have to place a new claim. I ended up fixing it myself.
We received this bed yesterday and the bed materials are impressively solid. However, the side rails where the feet are supposed to attach are missing the threaded tunnel that is supposed to be in the drilled hole. Now I'm headed to Home Depot to try and find the threaded tunnels to insert so I can finish assembling my bed.
Love the bed, despite shipping the handling there was two small scratches, one on a headboard corner and 1 on a rail corner easy repairable and if you handy with tools 40 to 45 minutes tops putting together by one person like myself. And after everything is together it's worth the price would recommend to anyone. Now just need the nightstand.......