Sometimes you order a product online based on images and descriptions, only to later learn that the color or lighting caused it to look different than you expected. That's not the case here. The Sango 40-piece Nova Black set was exactly as we expected it, and arrived (very) carefully packaged and free of problems or defects. We're so pleased with this dinnerware we plan to look at the accessory items Overstock offers.
I loved the look of this stoneware and ordered 5 sets less than 4 months ago. But the dinner plates I received are not microwave safe, and may not be dishwasher safe, either. So far 5 plates have cracked, and another 5 have deep scratches in the glaze surface - no way this was done by a steak knife, I tried and could not duplicate the effect. One plate actually arrived with holes so deep in the glaze that you could stand a needle up in it. I went online and found that buyers from other stores have had similar problems. Stoneware that has to be treated like fine china was not what I really wanted.
- How did the color on site compare with the actual product? very good
- Please tell us about the quality of the product. It might be OK, but there are glazing flaws and gouges from what looks like grievous mishandling
- How accurate was the on site description of the product? size of plates is wrong, they are 11 3/8, very large
The Sango Nova Black dinnerware set is exactly what I was hoping to find. Something this is functional enough for daily use, but could be dressed up nicely for more formal dinners. The Nova Black does just that. The black underside and edge is a classy, yet subtle design feature that segues into an olive green, taupe color. This delicately bleeds about 1/2 inch toward the center of the bowls and plates or down the outside of the cups. The plates are large, but not bulky and I particularly appreciated that the set comes with 2 sets of bowls. They clean up nicely and do not have a noticeable tendency to streak or spot. The plates do get warm in the microwave, but not excessively. All in all, a very nice set of dinnerware.
- How did the color on site compare with the actual product? Spot-on
- Please tell us about the quality of the product. Very high quality
- How accurate was the on site description of the product? As described
Great everyday stoneware. Measure your cabinets. Both bowls stack but do not nest. In our cabinets bowls only stack 4 high; i.e. four stacks of bowls. Have used in microwave and daily use of dishwasher with no problems. One plate is slightly crooked on the edge not noticed by anyone but me. Bottom is flat so no issues there. Cups have inverted color - black on inside which I like. Salad plates are large enough for small meals. Great packaging and no broken dishes upon on-time arrival. Good value.
- How did the color on site compare with the actual product? same
- Please tell us about the quality of the product. Decent everyday stoneware
- How accurate was the on site description of the product? Accurate
i LOVE these dishes. after needing to replace my older, cracked, and mismatched dishes, i never realized how difficult it is to shop for dishes - so many different shapes, sizes, and colors (not to mention the prices!). but for this 40-piece set, it's a great deal! i highly recommend these - they are beautiful and durable! my only qualm is that i wish that the mugs followed suit with the rest of the dishes, meaning black on the outside and the lighter color of the inside, but truly not a deal breaker ;)
These dishes are very sturdy, I have bumped them into each other on accident and no chips or cracks. The color is a beautiful shiny black that fades into a neutral taupe color. They are a heavier set of dishes, but they are stoneware, so it is to be expected. The bottom ring is slightly rougher than the rest of the dish, so it may scratch a table if you don't use a placemat. And I was expecting the pasta/ cereal bowl to be slightly bigger, but it works just fine. Love the fact that this set comes with ice cream bowls as well, nice to have two size bowls. Overstock continues to impress me with terrific prices, fast delivery, and excellent packaging. These dishes were packed so beautifully. I ordered two sets and not one piece was broken, I read reviews of this exact set from Kohls, and many people complained of broken pieces. I will continue my business with Overstock!
- How did the color on site compare with the actual product? Exactly what I thought it would look like
- Please tell us about the quality of the product. Excellent quality
- How accurate was the on site description of the product? Perfect description of the product
The set is beautiful, but if you are looking for black & white, don't get this set. It has more shades of brown than it does black and there is a ring of green shadowing. Not exactly the look I was after. But shipping would be too expensive to return.
I have been looking for a casual white stoneware with black or rust trim and finally gave up finding the 'perfect' set. I have had Sango before and been very happy with it for everyday dishes. This set I probably wouldn't have purchased in the store, the edging is a greenish color, not tan/brown like my computer screen. The greenish hue is most noticeable on the cups - don't use them much, so will keep the set. Who knows - may find the perfect one some day!
I purchased this dinnerware set because I was looking for a new set of nice dinnerware without breaking the bank. I was a little leery about the ceramic material because it chipped so with my last bargain dinnerware. These dishes are sturdy and came just as they appeared in the image. Because I need more than 4 place settings, this was a great value for the volume and quality.
I owned the full Sango Nova black dinnerware set before, and loved them. I sold everything when I moved overseas. I'm now back, and when I went looking to buy dishes again -- well, I saw Sango Nova black was still for sale, and I didn't find anything new I liked better, so I ordered these. These were not labeled "rejects", but they should have been. The pattern is just not right, and it makes the dishware boring. It just looks like black outsides and white insides, and that's about it. Some places have the faint green around the edges that should be there, but it's all off-center: one side of a plate will have a lot, while the other side will have just a narrow band. I don't know what happened with these, but they don't look as they should. I kept them because I couldn't be bothered to repack all the dishes and carry the giant, heavy, fragile box back somewhere to ship. If I'd known these would look like rejects, I wouldn't have ordered them.
These look great and feel good. I haven't had long enough to see how they hold up against chipping but with the black bottom and edges showing chips is a concern. These look fantastic with our new dark espresso table. I thought the box was some towels I'd ordered and rolled it around while unpacking and was startled to find out when I opened it - they were the dishes. I was pleasantly surprised I had done no damage as they were exceedingly well protected.
- How did the color on site compare with the actual product? Very close
- Please tell us about the quality of the product. Very good
- How accurate was the on site description of the product? Accurate
I like the dishes. I was hoping for better as the exterior color was easily scrapped off when I first stacked them. They are holding up in the dishwasher and have not seen scratches or scraps from the initial unpack day. I'd consider then to be a good starter set because of that
- How did the color on site compare with the actual product? Fair
- Please tell us about the quality of the product. Decent or average for the type
- How accurate was the on site description of the product? Exact
i shop overstock a lot - they have great customer service. every product can't be a winner, and this was not one. it was packed very well - if i'd unpacked all of it, it probably would've taken an hour or more. but with the first two pieces, i knew i didn't like the quality so back they go.
- How did the color on site compare with the actual product? good
- Please tell us about the quality of the product. i only opened two pieces which both had serious flaws. it was extremely well packed, so i put back the two pieces and returned it. there's a significant charge for returning, so beware of that. that said, it's still less than it would be if i returned it myself.
- How accurate was the on site description of the product? just ok
Initially, I believed that I had been careless when the first two dinner plates of the service for eight developed a long and linear crack from one end of the plate to the other. But seven plates later I know that it was not me. They cracked for no apparent reason. The only thing I can guess about it is as someone else here, with the same experience said, the plates are not microwave safe. I am so disappointed! I really find it difficult to consider buying any other Sango dinnerware. I now have one plate left. All of the others cracked in the same manner. So disappointing.
- How did the color on site compare with the actual product? Color was not a problem compared favorably
- Please tell us about the quality of the product. Not good
- How accurate was the on site description of the product? It was accurate
These days if a product is good quality and exactly as advertised that's all we can expect, and that's what I got. These dishes are large, good looking, and compared to so many other sets I looked at, a real bargain. They're appropriate for casual or dressy. I'm single and haven't used everything yet so I don't know about durability, but I have no complaints at all.
- How did the color on site compare with the actual product? Exactly
- Please tell us about the quality of the product. Hard to tell so early, but I'd serve dinner to anyone using these dishes
- How accurate was the on site description of the product? Completety