Received it promptly and it is a very nice heavy board. I used it a couple times and left it on the counter. The counter got wet at some point, when my young daughter must have spilled, the next morning it was warped and cracked. I know they should not get wet but i have had cutting boards just as nice take far more punishment than this.
I got the cutting board for my husband for Christmas and it came 2 or 3 days sooner than promised (which was Christmas eve). My husband liked the gift and uses it everyday. So I am really pleased with the cutting board and it is an execelent purchase and great price. I liked the fact that all juices go into a the tray around the board and not on my counters.
This board is my everyday cutting board. Reversible board (birch) does have a rougher surface then the super slab, however, thus far it does not seem to impede the quality. I never expected the quality of the two boards I purchased. Site does not specify manufacturer, "Catskill Craftsmen, Inc", so I had no way of knowing both boards came from same place until I opened the boxes. I also purchased the 25 lb super slab end grain 20"x20". I use shun knives and must use quality end grain wood when cutting or chopping. Hard to believe after being aggressive chopping garlic and slicing foods there was not a mark on either board! Purchased mineral oil (as per co.'s instructions) and prepared boards. Not a big deal at all preping/seasoning boards upon arrival. Easy cleaning with cloth and oiling as part of maintenance. Order board and go buy mineral oil while you await your board's arrival. Order arrived without any tracking/shipping notice. (SURPRISE, WE ARE HERE!!)
- How did the color on site compare with the actual product? Perfect, picure shows how board looks after oiling.
- Please tell us about the quality of the product. Good Value for price
- How accurate was the on site description of the product? Good
I highly recommend this cutting board. I was concerned that it might warp or crack as others have in the past. One night it sat in a pool of water on the counter, I woke up and it was....warped badly, and had cracked. I considered it a loss, but my fault! Well I kept it anyway. I took it out a couple of days later, and it was completely back to normal! Zero warp and no visible crack!! If you take proper care of this board, you will be very happy with it!
- How did the color on site compare with the actual product? Identical
- Please tell us about the quality of the product. Excellent
- How accurate was the on site description of the product? Very accurate
This is a thick cutting board, but it slides when in use, so it is pretty dangerous. I bought it for the look and I regret that, look around and purchase something less, unless you are using it for serving and not chopping.BTW not really refersable as one side slides even more that the other
- Please tell us about the quality of the product. OK
This is a very good quality birch board at a very good price. For those who want a NICE board without spending a bunch, this board is the best I have seen. It's solid, attractive and the birch wood loses nothing to maple. I am a wood nut and don't find birch a step down from maple! Hardness is about the same and the grain is just as good. Seems like all the board prices jump up a bunch when maple is used. I can't see the justification in that?? It has a substantial thickness of 1 1/4" with just enough heft and stability not to warp or move around. I put some craft shop 1" skid proof rubber pads on each corner of the smooth side that stabilizes it nicely for tough cutting meats and gives it some space under the board to avoid water on the wood from underneath. If you are not a chef or full time cook, this board will do the job for you --- in style. The groove channel for meats is cut nicely and the smooth reverse is ideal for veggies and such. Cutting with my Shun knives doesn't mark it up as long as one seasons it with oil/beeswax on occasion. Great deal!
- How did the color on site compare with the actual product? accurate
- Please tell us about the quality of the product. Excellent birch wood ends with pretty contrast on both sides.
- How accurate was the on site description of the product? accurate
This product can only be rated 3 stars at best. While it seems to be a quality product, it is almost impossible to clean. There is something very strange about the surface of the cutting board which makes it extremely difficult to clean.
- How did the color on site compare with the actual product? Good
- Please tell us about the quality of the product. Average
- How accurate was the on site description of the product? Average