I spent a couple of months researching this dowel base Eames chair and the rocker version, almost pulling the trigger on the Modernica fiberglass proximity ($400!). The chairs arrived in 2 days, shipping cost a couple of bucks, and I put them together easily (4 hex screws, not complicated). General Measurements are very close to Eames specs listed on Design Within Reach's site (about a half an inch shy on all dimensions). Plastic Shell Finish is pure bright white, with subtle grained texture (similar to an egg's shell) only noticeable close up. The product detail shot looks to be more of a glossy finish, but the actual product is definitely matte. Very subtly "dimpling" noticed on seat above 4 areas where base attaches to the chair. This may very well be the case with the legit Eames version too, but worth mentioning. Base is adequate. Black cross beams with silver hex screws. The wooden dowel legs are fine- lighter colored birch (or perhaps "beech") finish. Glossy-ness of urethane finish on the wood is slightly cheap looking- though it should dull with time. I've seen the White on White version in person, and it excels in this area- their version features a more rich looking walnut, but is more expensive. Black floor caps on bottom of legs are nothing to write home about. All in all, a good product for the money.
I love these chairs! They are a great looking knock off of a midcentury modern icon that I could never afford otherwise. Shipping was super fast, simple to put together (I think it took less than 10 minutes to assemble both) and they are also quite comfortable. One bit of info that is not included in the description is that the arm hieght is 26" off the floor. I took a risk ordering these not knowing if they would fit undr my dining table or not and fortunatley, they work for me.
Love these chairs. And everyone else does too! They are knock offs of more expensive chairs, but are great quality. I am a heavy guy - about 230lbs - and these fit me nicely and are super strong. However I have noticed that I need to tighten the screws about once every couple of months - so save that allen wrench! Also, as they are white, they get dirty fast. I live in NYC and it's dusty. These get grey after about a month. I get a bucket of water, wash cloth and some Mr. Clean, and it does the trick. You will need to do this about once a month or so. But again you will have that with any white furniture. These chairs do not creak, wobble or make noises. They do have some dimples around the leg areas on two of the chairs but I did look at the more expensive kind and they have the same. Oh and every designer on HGTV is now using chairs like these.
- How did the color on site compare with the actual product? Chair is same color (WHITE) but legs are lighter - not walnut but more whitewashed birch.
- Please tell us about the quality of the product. Excellent
- How accurate was the on site description of the product? Accurate
I love these chairs. They are super comfortable and easy to clean, which is exactly what we were looking for with active boys at home! The original Eames chairs are fiberglass with a smooth finish, but these reproductions are molded plastic with a very slight texture. When they get dirty I need to use a little elbow grease to get them completely clean, whereas the fiberglass wipes off super easy. Still, for the price they are well worth it. I would buy them again!
- How did the color on site compare with the actual product? Accurate
- Please tell us about the quality of the product. The quality is great for the price.
- How accurate was the on site description of the product? Very accurate
Good quality, sturdy chairs. The holes for the legs didn't line up perfectly, but it wasn't a big deal and we made it fit pretty quickly. Great design at a fraction of the cost! I would go with the armless chairs if you're looking for desk chairs as the arms are pretty high and would not fit under my desk. Awesome chairs overall!
We purchased these chairs for our mid-century modern bonus room, hoping they would stand up to a lot of use by teenagers. We have not been disappointed! These are exceptionally sturdy chairs. Much higher quality than we anticipated for the price, and they look marvelous, too!
Unfortunately, there were a number of defects in workmanship of this product. There were several scratches on the chair legs, even though the box was not damaged -- the legs should have been wrapped individually before packing. Also, several of the screws in the legs were uneven and not well installed, and the holes where the screws were placed had rough edges in spots. It was a shame that the product had these defects, as I was really looking forward to having the chairs in my home. The seats appeared to be in fine condition, although I never got so far as to attempt to attached the seats to the legs because of the previously mentioned defects. I decided not to try to order replacements as I feared that the replacements would be defective as well. I did appreciate that Overstock covered the cost of return shipping. Too bad -- perhaps I was just unlucky.
- How did the color on site compare with the actual product? fine
These accent chairs are working perfectly in my mod apartment. They are lightweight yet sturdy and add just the right touch of classic, retro style. The ergonomic seat is very comfortable and I can sit in these chairs for hours at a time. The assembly is surprisingly easy. Soon after the packages arrived, these chairs were ready to rock and roll! Overall, I am extremely happy with this purchase. Thanks Overstock!
These chairs are super cute! I wouldn't say they are high quality, but they are good enough for the price and one would be hard-pressed to tell the difference between these and Eames chairs. They are also quite comfortable. I added a fluffy white bolster pillow to each and placed them in an all white guest room. They're perfect!
Minutes to essemble them - no manual or tools needed. Pair looks great - the plastic does not have a smoothed shiny surface which I think would be esthetically even more pleasing. The best part: they are really comfortable. Used it for hours sitting at my desk.
- How did the color on site compare with the actual product? 100^
- Please tell us about the quality of the product. Excellent
- How accurate was the on site description of the product? Very
First off, I bought this gift as an anniversary gift for my wonderfully artistic girlfriend. I bought it two weeks early thinking that there would be no problem. I was told that the shipment would be at my door no later than June 29. Instead, I watched the tracking notification not be updated for over 5 days. Afterwards, I saw it move at a snail's pace from Illinois to Illinois for several more days, until it finally arrived over a week after it was promised, and a day AFTER our anniversary. However, I that is not my biggest complaint. Prolonged shipping sucks, but let's be honest, crap like that happens all the time. What got me really irate, was after I excitedly opened the package, I found that the chairs are RED, and not the advertised WHITE. I mean, what the heck? This is not McDonald's or Target; I do not want RED eames chairs. I want the WHITE ones as shown. It's funny that I can't even find an option for these freakish monstrosities sitting in my living room. Now I have to pay extra money out of my pocket, to wait another two weeks for it to get to Illinois, for them to look over my order for another week, to then ship out the correct chair for another two weeks. Thus giving me a grand total of 5 weeks, extra shipping cost, and a whole mess of bull crap to deal with. I would not recommend buying this, unless you don't mind red pieces of bull crap festering on your living room floor.
- How did the color on site compare with the actual product? The photo is white; the chair that I received is RED.
- Please tell us about the quality of the product. The ONLY reason why I chose to buy these chairs on overstock and NOT AMAZON is because amazon sells the crappy braxton version. The box that came to me says in large bold letters: BRAXTON. It's same as the crappily reviewed chairs on amazon. BEWARE
- How accurate was the on site description of the product? COMPLETELY OFF
I bought these two chairs to be used in our home office as an alternative to traditional desk/computer chairs; 'a great decision! The chairs look great, they're reasonably sturdy (I weigh 150 lbs), and are very comfortable with good support. The assembly was quick and easy. Thanks Overstock!
- How did the color on site compare with the actual product? Color is accurately represented (bright white)
- Please tell us about the quality of the product. Good quality, sturdy chairs
- How accurate was the on site description of the product? very accurate description on the website
These will not fool anyone! The plastic feels looks and feels nothing like the orignal fiberglass, they just look cheap, also they are EXTREMLY short, the seat depth is barely at knee height, they are about 30 inches from top to bottom- child sized!
This is the first review I have ever written, but I depend so much on reviews that I wanted to write one. The reviews for this chair were amazingly high, since the actual product is HORRIBLE. I love the Eames style and the retro look, but this takes that look and puts a trailer trash cheap lawn chair take on it. It's actually more shameful since the style is so beautiful and classic to put a plastic flimsy top on it. Either the other reviews are rigged, or they are not even mildly discerning customers. If you are hoping for a look in spite of quality, this is not the product you're going to get it with.
- How did the color on site compare with the actual product? not the issue
- Please tell us about the quality of the product. awful
- How accurate was the on site description of the product? it's too hard to see the bad quality online
Ive ordered similar chairs from overstock, the set of 4 white ones, the rocking chair, and they were great and easy to assemble, However, this set was so difficult to assemble since the screws didnt fit properly and when i tried to force the screws in, one of the bolts got stripped and i wasnt able to screw it down, was only able to get about 85%......however, it seems sturdy enough. I hope they last
While I've had tons of success ordering on o.co-- products come quickly, are USUALLY great quality, and guest service is on point-- this time was the exception. You totally get what you paid for with these chairs, the price seems "too good to be true", but the quality matches what you pay. Champagne taste, light beer quality. Stoppers on the bottom of the legs where plastic and completely scratched like the chair had been used, splinters along wooden legs and where screw inserts where. White plastic appears glossy and smooth on line, but what you get is flat, pebbly (ikea like) cheap plastic. I am not a picky person, but more than anything was let down, the only reason I kept them was to avoid the hassle of returning two chairs and a 30 pound box... They will not be kept in a common area of the house like the show piece I had intended them to be.
- How did the color on site compare with the actual product? Exact match
- Please tell us about the quality of the product. You ddfinately get what you paid for
- How accurate was the on site description of the product? Try again
These chairs are great knock-offs for those without a lot of money. The problems with it are as following: 1. The moulded plastic is a little flimsy and can get you nervous about breaking and 2. the holes for mounting the legs onto the seat were terribly done. One of them wasn't fully bored our so a screw is just hanging halfway out of the hole. Not great for something you are putting your whole body weight on. All in all, not a bad product, but be ready to get what you paid for.
- How did the color on site compare with the actual product? perfect
- Please tell us about the quality of the product. not so great. There were scratches in the wood and the screws were bad
- How accurate was the on site description of the product? good.
These chairs perfectly paired up with my 2black leather chairs I purchased from O. Love them! They are wonderful in my Salon in the reception room
- How did the color on site compare with the actual product? Excellent
- Please tell us about the quality of the product. Very well made
- How accurate was the on site description of the product? Exellent
I am very happy with my purchase. It is perfect for my midcentury decor. If you have a heavier family member not the best purchase, although I have had no problems with the chairs, the plastic might be too flimsy for a large person
- How did the color on site compare with the actual product? perfect
- Please tell us about the quality of the product. description is accurate
I live in a condo above a DWR and they have they original versions of these chairs at $400/each. They are very nice. I thought I would save a ton of money and buy they knock-offs. I want to complain, but I really can't at the price. The are very similar from afar, but the quality of the plastic molding is definitely not the same. Overall, as in most things in life, you get what you pay for.
- Please tell us about the quality of the product. The quality is very average, but for the price, I guess it's ok.