I bought this in the hopes that it would mimic a bookcase sold in a popular home catalog for 3-4x the price. It is the perfect depth, height and size for the space, and its dimensions are almost exactly what the other, more highly priced bookcase is. The quality however is not. These shelves are like a hard plastic with a stamped wood pattern into them, whereas the real bookcase shelves are like reclaimed wood. The metal on this is very dark, almost a charcoal steel, whereas the expensive version has lighter pewter colored metal. This one was very simple to put together, although the box it arrived in weighed a ton, so i had to take it upstairs piece by piece. Its fine for the price and I'm keeping it, however its in my front living room and can be seen by all entering the home, so I wish it looked more high end. Its a marginal foreign copy of a nice, more expensive piece. If its in a non-important location, its fine for the price. I would have preferred, with 20/20 hindsight, spending the extra money for the real version.
- How did the color on site compare with the actual product? mostly true
- Please tell us about the quality of the product. marginal, but priced accordingly
- How accurate was the on site description of the product? reasonably accurate
After reading the other reviews, I was a bit hesitant in ordering this bookcase but, having had great success with previous oders from O.com, decided to chance it. Am so glad that I did! I had been comparing this one to similar items on two other high-end sites and the difference in the item price and shipping cost could not be passed up. When the bookcase arrived, assembly was a breeze (the hardest part was getting the bookcase into it's upright position, because it is heavy). Now I have it in my kitchen for additional shelf and storage space and it adds an expensive and trendy industrial look, which is what I was going for. Had I purchased this bookcase from store X or Y, I would have paid 2-3 times the amount plus $95+ for shipping.
- How did the color on site compare with the actual product? pretty accurate
- Please tell us about the quality of the product. This is a very heavy bookcase and built to last forever.
- How accurate was the on site description of the product? very accurate.
I had been admiring shelves on another well-know furnishings site, but they were way over my budget. So I was thrilled to find these on O for less than a third of the price. They were easy to assemble, although very heavy - definitely need two people. They look just as pictured - although the measurement of width was off by over 8". Overall the pieces look very much as pictured. However I ordered two shelves, and one unit has much lighter colored shelves. The shelves are rougher and it seems like they were just not finished with a topcoat. The other unit has one shelf that is also much lighter, but I figured that when they have pieces on them it will not be an issue. All in all for the price I consider them a great find.
- How accurate was the on site description of the product? Good, but measurement of width is wrong by 8 inches. These pieces are 40" wide, not 48"
Great shelving at a wonderful price. Heavy pieces but once laid out, fairly easy to assemble. Bottom shelf is NOT marked so look closely at each shelf BEFORE assembling as bottom shelf has small screw holes in each side piece where leg/wheels fit in. I assembled upside down but requires two people to tip and then lift to upright. Might want to "air out" shelves in a garage or outside for a few hours or a day before putting in house as they do have a chemical smell.
- How did the color on site compare with the actual product? Accurate
- Please tell us about the quality of the product. excellent
- How accurate was the on site description of the product? accurate
I love the look of the shelves, and the size, but I wish we had not bought them because of the smell. Judging from the smell, they may need 6 months of off gas before we can use them. The design was a nice idea, but could have been implemented a little better.
- How did the color on site compare with the actual product? same
- Please tell us about the quality of the product. The quality was okay. One of the four shelves we ordered came with a piece welded on backwards, thus making the shelves crooked. The shelves were also coated with a very chemical smelling substance. Since my daughter has chemical sensitivities we have had to air out the shelves since we got them. The smell is STILL not gone and we received them over a month ago. Not sure what we are going to do. The wheels don't work really, so I am afraid they will scratch my floors.
- How accurate was the on site description of the product? very accurate
If you're thinking that you are getting a "greige" look of cerused oak with a pewter tone metal, think again. It's black metal with a slight antiquing and a wood-like substance that has a "blackwash" over chocolate brown . Assembly was straightforward, but the box weighs 70 lbs. The finished piece is very heavy as well. I'm using it to hold toy baskets in a family room with a river rock fireplace and craftsman vibe, so it's fine. It's industrial, but not like a European antique. More like something made in China, which it is. It's OK for the price. I'd never pay the outrageous prices that other retailers charge for "industrial" furnishings. If I'm paying $1700 to $3000 for a bookshelf, I'd wouldn't buy a trendy reclaimed/industrial piece.
- How did the color on site compare with the actual product? Completely different. It looks like black powder coated steel with an applied brown "antique" on the metal; black wash over brown then distressed on the "wood"
- Please tell us about the quality of the product. Get what you pay for. It's pretty cheap, but so is the price.
- How accurate was the on site description of the product? Somewhat accurate, but color is way off.
I looked at this bookcase for a while and I bought it for my son's room. It arrived in a really heavy box and I had to wait for my husband to get home to drag it inside. The box was really, really dirty and banged up but the bookcase was undamaged. It took me a maximum of 1/2 hour to put the bookcase together, it is really heavy though and I did need help to flip it the right way up. The corner poles come in 5 pieces, each with a long screw sticking out of the end which you screw into the next piece (and shelf). It does not have 4 continuous poles on each corner, hope that makes sense? I asked Overstock before I purchased this item what the shelves were made out of- they are mdf, with a distressed veneer and a metal surround/frame. You only need a screw driver right at the end to secure the wheels. The wheels are functional and we used them to get the bookcase in the correct position in the room. I'm really happy with the bookcase and the quality especially for the price. The item arrived very quickly too.
- How did the color on site compare with the actual product? The metal is black, the wood is grey with a paint effect
- Please tell us about the quality of the product. it's ok
- How accurate was the on site description of the product? very
Whoever thought this looked 'plastic,' as one or person reviewed, doesn't understand this type of furniture or look. This bookshelf is beautifully executed and would cost much, much more in a high-end furniture store and 5X's more in a decorator showroom. Love, love, love this bookshelf. Just the funk I needed to take the cool edge off my more streamlined modernist furniture.
- How did the color on site compare with the actual product? Perfect.
- Please tell us about the quality of the product. Excellent. Very heavy and solid.
- How accurate was the on site description of the product? Perfect. Size was correct. Finish and color as described. Warm barnwood grays in the shelves and a dull black frame that looks like painted-over-rust bumpy texture.
If you are looking for a unique industrial look, look no further. This bookcase is a heavy solid piece. The distressed metal and reclaimed wood really make this piece. I put this together myself but I should have waited for help from my husband. It is not difficult to put together but it is very heavy.
Fantastic shelving unit I use in my office to hold books, file boxes, decorative items and my printer. It was simple to construct, has a minor wobble, but is overall a solid buy. Reminds me of something I would have spent 3X as much on at Restoration Hardware. The casters are teeny tiny, but they do move the unit, albeit slowly. Overall, five stars to this item and the Renate line. I have a few pieces from it.
Very nice piece and works well in living room. Very tall, so I removed one of the shelves. Also, deeper than I anticipated so it did not fit where I had originally intended, but I found another wall for it. Easy to assemble - put this together very quickly with the help of my 12-year old. I am considering buying additional pieces to match.
I purchased the book case and two side tables for our guest room, and I also purchased two towers for our master. My husband assembled all of them this past weekend and, while they look good and seem to be sturdy (they are very heavy), they have a very strong odor to it. It smells like wet paint/spray paint. I'm hoping it will eventually go away but the odor can be very bothersome to sensitive noses. We are letting it "air out" in our living room before placing them in the rooms which are small and enclosed and will hold in the odor. The pictures of the products are accurate although I would not describe them as "grey" at all. The shelves have streaks of grey/silver which you cannot tell from the pictures but overall, the products are dark brown. We have dark brown wood floors, so the products match a lot with the floors which is why I was hoping there would be more grey to them. If these products did not have a strong odor, I would have given "quality" a 4/5 star.
I love the Renate desk that I ordered to go with this matching bookcase. And I love the look of the bookcase. The problem is how its put together. Each of the metal pipe pieces is separate and screws into the one next to it. In the end, there are too many points of instability and in the end the assembled piece is very wobbly and not straight. I tried to adjust it both during and after assembly, but it was still unstable and tippy looking. It was too much of a pain to try to return it and it wasn't actually going to tip over, so I used it for 6 months. But it bugged me to see the lines not being straight and feel it move when I took things off or on. So in the end I sold it for less than half of what I paid for it on **********.
Overall this is a great product, I purchase this along with the matching Renate desk, definitely Restored style with much lower price. One thing I want to complain is the reclaimed look seems from a very thin paper-like veneer, it is too thin. Overstock's customer service is wonderful, best I know.
- How did the color on site compare with the actual product? true
- Please tell us about the quality of the product. good
- How accurate was the on site description of the product? very accurate
I do not recommend purchase of the Renate Grey Bookcase for three reasons. First, it is very difficult to assemble so that the shelf supports appear even and perpendicular. Second, the metal finish has a pink undertone that is unappealing. Finally, as others have noted, the shelves have a distinct chemical smell that, combined with the fact that manufacturing occurred in China, made me concerned enough about heath risks to unpack and wait more than a week to bring the unit into the house.
- Please tell us about the quality of the product. Fair