I bought this in the hopes that it would mimic a bookcase sold in a popular home catalog for 3-4x the price. It is the perfect depth, height and size for the space, and its dimensions are almost exactly what the other, more highly priced bookcase is. The quality however is not. These shelves are like a hard plastic with a stamped wood pattern into them, whereas the real bookcase shelves are like reclaimed wood. The metal on this is very dark, almost a charcoal steel, whereas the expensive version has lighter pewter colored metal. This one was very simple to put together, although the box it arrived in weighed a ton, so i had to take it upstairs piece by piece. Its fine for the price and I'm keeping it, however its in my front living room and can be seen by all entering the home, so I wish it looked more high end. Its a marginal foreign copy of a nice, more expensive piece. If its in a non-important location, its fine for the price. I would have preferred, with 20/20 hindsight, spending the extra money for the real version.
- How did the color on site compare with the actual product? mostly true
- Please tell us about the quality of the product. marginal, but priced accordingly
- How accurate was the on site description of the product? reasonably accurate
Great shelving at a wonderful price. Heavy pieces but once laid out, fairly easy to assemble. Bottom shelf is NOT marked so look closely at each shelf BEFORE assembling as bottom shelf has small screw holes in each side piece where leg/wheels fit in. I assembled upside down but requires two people to tip and then lift to upright. Might want to "air out" shelves in a garage or outside for a few hours or a day before putting in house as they do have a chemical smell.
- How did the color on site compare with the actual product? Accurate
- Please tell us about the quality of the product. excellent
- How accurate was the on site description of the product? accurate
After reading the other reviews, I was a bit hesitant in ordering this bookcase but, having had great success with previous oders from O.com, decided to chance it. Am so glad that I did! I had been comparing this one to similar items on two other high-end sites and the difference in the item price and shipping cost could not be passed up. When the bookcase arrived, assembly was a breeze (the hardest part was getting the bookcase into it's upright position, because it is heavy). Now I have it in my kitchen for additional shelf and storage space and it adds an expensive and trendy industrial look, which is what I was going for. Had I purchased this bookcase from store X or Y, I would have paid 2-3 times the amount plus $95+ for shipping.
- How did the color on site compare with the actual product? pretty accurate
- Please tell us about the quality of the product. This is a very heavy bookcase and built to last forever.
- How accurate was the on site description of the product? very accurate.
I love the look of the shelves, and the size, but I wish we had not bought them because of the smell. Judging from the smell, they may need 6 months of off gas before we can use them. The design was a nice idea, but could have been implemented a little better.
- How did the color on site compare with the actual product? same
- Please tell us about the quality of the product. The quality was okay. One of the four shelves we ordered came with a piece welded on backwards, thus making the shelves crooked. The shelves were also coated with a very chemical smelling substance. Since my daughter has chemical sensitivities we have had to air out the shelves since we got them. The smell is STILL not gone and we received them over a month ago. Not sure what we are going to do. The wheels don't work really, so I am afraid they will scratch my floors.
- How accurate was the on site description of the product? very accurate
I had been admiring shelves on another well-know furnishings site, but they were way over my budget. So I was thrilled to find these on O for less than a third of the price. They were easy to assemble, although very heavy - definitely need two people. They look just as pictured - although the measurement of width was off by over 8". Overall the pieces look very much as pictured. However I ordered two shelves, and one unit has much lighter colored shelves. The shelves are rougher and it seems like they were just not finished with a topcoat. The other unit has one shelf that is also much lighter, but I figured that when they have pieces on them it will not be an issue. All in all for the price I consider them a great find.
- How accurate was the on site description of the product? Good, but measurement of width is wrong by 8 inches. These pieces are 40" wide, not 48"
I looked at this bookcase for a while and I bought it for my son's room. It arrived in a really heavy box and I had to wait for my husband to get home to drag it inside. The box was really, really dirty and banged up but the bookcase was undamaged. It took me a maximum of 1/2 hour to put the bookcase together, it is really heavy though and I did need help to flip it the right way up. The corner poles come in 5 pieces, each with a long screw sticking out of the end which you screw into the next piece (and shelf). It does not have 4 continuous poles on each corner, hope that makes sense? I asked Overstock before I purchased this item what the shelves were made out of- they are mdf, with a distressed veneer and a metal surround/frame. You only need a screw driver right at the end to secure the wheels. The wheels are functional and we used them to get the bookcase in the correct position in the room. I'm really happy with the bookcase and the quality especially for the price. The item arrived very quickly too.
- How did the color on site compare with the actual product? The metal is black, the wood is grey with a paint effect
- Please tell us about the quality of the product. it's ok
- How accurate was the on site description of the product? very
This bookcase is a very heavy, solid piece of furniture, but definitely has its flaws. The metal poles that sit between the shelves are not straight, giving the whole thing a crooked and awkward appearance. I was able to turn the poles so that the crooked pieces face the back of the bookcase which sits against a wall, so it is not as noticeable, but for the price I would expect a little higher quality. Easy to assemble but the shelves are heavy, it took two of us about 20 minutes to put together. I was disappointed in the way it arrived, all in one box, with the box ripped and falling apart. It is so heavy and bulky it would be better off shipped in multiple boxes. There was no damage despite the torn box when it arrived, however. It's a huge piece, I'm glad I have 10' ceilings and an open space, otherwise this bookshelf would overpower a smaller room. Overall, I'm satisfied but it is overpriced for the quality and I would not purchase the item again. If it weren't so bulky and heavy, I'd have actually returned it.
If you're thinking that you are getting a "greige" look of cerused oak with a pewter tone metal, think again. It's black metal with a slight antiquing and a wood-like substance that has a "blackwash" over chocolate brown . Assembly was straightforward, but the box weighs 70 lbs. The finished piece is very heavy as well. I'm using it to hold toy baskets in a family room with a river rock fireplace and craftsman vibe, so it's fine. It's industrial, but not like a European antique. More like something made in China, which it is. It's OK for the price. I'd never pay the outrageous prices that other retailers charge for "industrial" furnishings. If I'm paying $1700 to $3000 for a bookshelf, I'd wouldn't buy a trendy reclaimed/industrial piece.
- How did the color on site compare with the actual product? Completely different. It looks like black powder coated steel with an applied brown "antique" on the metal; black wash over brown then distressed on the "wood"
- Please tell us about the quality of the product. Get what you pay for. It's pretty cheap, but so is the price.
- How accurate was the on site description of the product? Somewhat accurate, but color is way off.
Whoever thought this looked 'plastic,' as one or person reviewed, doesn't understand this type of furniture or look. This bookshelf is beautifully executed and would cost much, much more in a high-end furniture store and 5X's more in a decorator showroom. Love, love, love this bookshelf. Just the funk I needed to take the cool edge off my more streamlined modernist furniture.
- How did the color on site compare with the actual product? Perfect.
- Please tell us about the quality of the product. Excellent. Very heavy and solid.
- How accurate was the on site description of the product? Perfect. Size was correct. Finish and color as described. Warm barnwood grays in the shelves and a dull black frame that looks like painted-over-rust bumpy texture.
I am not sure what all the complaints are about. No piece of furniture is perfect and nitpickers are going to find something every time. If it's true industrial style you are going for, these fit the bill perfectly and they cost about a third of similar styles in several of the popular decor catalogs. Yes they stink a little due to the paint - that will fade, ventilate. No they are not perfectly square - nobody is going to get a level out and check all your individual pipes - we're talking millimeters here. Yes there's a chip in the paint here or there, but I think that makes them more awesome. They are so heavy and burly looking that you could actually picture these being used in a factory. They are not difficult to assemble, I did it by myself with some careful planning/placement. Yes the wheels work - albeit only L to R, but they do function. There was no damage to the pieces other than a few small chips in the paint, but I consider that a bonus. These are for you if you really want true "industrial" - if you want dainty little metal and wood racks pick some of the other "industrial style" shelving units on Overstock. That being said, I bet they will have imperfections too. This is my third "renate" set purchase for my office and I've been happy every time. The pieces look great against a hardwood floor, they are super sturdy, they look expensive IMHO, but they are easy on the wallet. What's not to like about that???