Buyers beware. Maybe I received a different one than the other reviewers but the one I received was not very nice. I expected average quality for the price. I was not expecting perfection but the one I received had the following issues:
- the rings that hold the light to the base was rusted. I tried to polish the rings since they are highly visible but could not get it shinny.
- the inside hardware that held the shade and bulbs was scratched up, had a bad paint job and rusted. This is not super annoying since you can't see this part of the lamp, but it just shows the poor quality of this product.
- As with other reviewer's comments, the base on my unit also didn't fit flush to the ceiling (it is not due to my ceiling). The issue is with the screws that came with the unit. It was too long so you can't get the cap screws tight enough to push the base plate up so that it mounts flush. I was able to fix this by going to the hardware store to find a shorter screw.
- the edges on the shade are definitely not glued on adequately. I should have looked at the pictures on Overstock more closely. If you zoom over certain areas of the lamp shade pictures you can see that there are areas that appear loose and not glued appropriately. My unit has slightly worst edges on the exterior, where some areas are coming loose. On the inside the area closes to where the shade meets the hardware, the shade fabric is mangled and not glued neatly, which leaves awful broken lines on the shade when the light is turned on. I will have to repair this with some fabric glue.
- the electrical wires that are barely visible on the Overstock pictures are definitely more visible than in the pictures on the site, especially the grounding wire that is cooper in color when contrasted to the stainless silver rings. This is a design issue not a quality issue.
- the unit I received was not level due to the imperfections in the welding on hardware frame that left the unit slightly mangled when it arrived.. I had to work really hard to make the lamp level. I must have installed the unit three times before I realized that it wasn't the installation. Once I laid the unit flat on the floor, I figured out the problem was with the hardware frame. To fix the issue, I had to unscrew the factory assembled frame and insert some shims in between the washers that held the shade and lamp up.
- the last issue is with the long rods that suspended the lamp from the base. The unit came with plenty of rods for a very tall installation but the treads on the rods were not done perfectly such that it caused the rod not to be perfectly straight when they are attached to each other.
So why didn't I return the item to Overstock? It's because I am too lazy to pack this unit up after all the time I spent fixing all of the flaws. If I had to do it again, I would not buy this unit. I would recommend that others including myself spend a little more money and buy a better unit else where and avoid all the hassles.
How did the color on site compare with the actual product? It was as pictured and posted
Please tell us about the quality of the product. Horrible...bad seems, rusted parts, screws didn't fit, and not level.
How accurate was the on site description of the product? Accurate except for the quality
I was a bit concerned about the size when the shipment arrived but it fit perfect in the dining area. Our only complain was the installation, the plate that should flush to the ceiling didn't and placing the glass at the bottom was a bit difficult. In the end we got it flushed to the ceiling and were very careful with the glass.
How did the color on site compare with the actual product? Same
Please tell us about the quality of the product. Very sturdy
How accurate was the on site description of the product? Great, very accurate
What is the longest length that this light fixture can be extended to? I have vaulted ceilings and need it to hang about 45 inches down from the ceiling. Thank you!novak22 on Apr 5, 2013Please enter a valid question.Answer This Question
Thank you for your interest in the New Ventura Grey Rectangular Chandelier. This inly comes with two 6-inch rods and two 12-inch rods. If they can be combined, it will hang 18 inches. I would suggest maybe looking into chains so it will hang the 45 inches.
overstockcustomercare1 on Apr 10, 2013