While the product has some superficial flaws (tiny paint imperfections and a couple of rough surfaces), they are real wood, sturdy, functional and very good looking. I bought two of the shelving units for my home office (in black) and they hold numerous books, photos, and various knick-knacks very nicely. I'm very pleased with this purchase.
I have put together 6 different items for our living area and nursery in the past 2 months, and these 2 units were by far the worst in quality and ease of construction. To begin, the color was completely different from the pic and the staining was uneven and it appeared to have some sort of dried glue or something smeared along long swaths of the finish. This was not so noticeable that I was willing to go through the hassle of returning, so I moved on to putting them together. This was awful. Something that should have been easy and straightforward turned into a 4 hour blister inducing ordeal since the screw holes not only did not line up, but were all drilled crookedly and at a fairly steep angle from the horizontal. Once put together they are fairly stable, but not great, look ok. For the price these are absolutely not worth it.
This bookcase arrived within a week of ordering it. The color is darker than I thought it would be but it is OK. I assembled it by myself in about an hour and it went together beautifully. I suggest you assemble it on a table top or work bench. The Allen wrench that is included is not really strong enough for the job so I suggest you use a stronger one. I had no problem at all with the screw holes lining up. Every one of them was perfect. The bookcase is very sturdy and the shelves are full of books. I am very pleased with how it all went together.
Bought two of these. They are solid wood--that's the good news. What happened to me, I hope, is a fluke. In one of the boxes, I had only one top stabilizer for the mantle (instead of two) and an extra back support board, which was the same dimension, but drilled differently. As I did not have time to wait for another board to be sent to me, I re-manufactured the part with a number of complicated tricks and without a drill press. I would not wish that on anyone--nor would I recommend anyone attempt what I did.
This bookcase is a great disappointment. I "mis-Ordered" a previous bookcase which turned out to be the wrong color and had to be returned--but at least it was almost 50% less expensive than this one. This one was difficult to assemble because a number of the predrilled holes did not line up and once assembled is wobbly. I have two other black Mission style bookcase which I wanted to match, but would return this in a heartbeat if I hadn't spent so much time and effort putting it together. I'm usually VERY HAPPY with Overstock, but not this time.
The (black) bookcase is working well for us. It replaced a larger sofa table piece of furniture and we appreciate the smaller area this bookshelf takes up. It is plain and does not in any way overwhelm our other family room furniture. Books on shelves are in good order and bottom shelf also holds a small music system. So glad we ordered it!
It is a nice for what I asked for and it is wood. Not the best wood or the worst.
- How did the color on site compare with the actual product? good
- Please tell us about the quality of the product. It is good for the price
- How accurate was the on site description of the product? good
great bookcase. holds all my photo albums, which are tall and heavy.
- How did the color on site compare with the actual product? fine
- Please tell us about the quality of the product. really good
- How accurate was the on site description of the product? perfect
The product fit the purpose for which it was intended perfectly. The finish could have been better but was acceptable.
- How did the color on site compare with the actual product? The color on the site was accurate-black
- Please tell us about the quality of the product. Good quality for the price.
- How accurate was the on site description of the product? True to description.
So So. No instructions in the box. Phone number to call for missing items was listed on the box but it was "disconnected." I called O and they said they would try to find one and MAIL it to me. Great. Waited over a week to get it and then more for instructions? One of the small pieces on the sides was broken and I had to glue it back together and put a little paint on it to hide the problem. Additionally, there are scratches and a few nicks that were covered up on the wood before it was sent to me. They are noticeable. At least it is real wood and it does look ok.
- How did the color on site compare with the actual product? Color was black as expected
- Please tell us about the quality of the product. It is wood and not a veneer over fiber board which is good. But it is a very light wood that is not very strong
- How accurate was the on site description of the product? Accurate
The black was good. The slates holding the books in were a little flimsy and weak. Have to be careful. But the rest is solid and durable.
- How did the color on site compare with the actual product? accurate
- Please tell us about the quality of the product. solid, except side slates. A little on the weak and flimsy side.
- How accurate was the on site description of the product? accurate
This is a pretty good shelf for the price. I bought it because I liked the airy open design. My house has pretty low ceilings, so I don't want to use bulky, heavy-looking furniture. Despite the open design, this shelf feels pretty sturdy. I'm storing mostly books on it. I used common sense when I loaded up the shelves (ie heavier books on the bottom, progressively lighter things above). It was not hard to assemble. I did it by myself (with a couple beers) in about an hour. One bad thing - the little allen wrench they give you starts wearing out (ie the corners start rounding out and it becomes more difficult to turn the screws) with the last couple screws. It felt a little rickety while I was building it, but when it was all put together and standing up, it seemed much more sturdy. It does lean forward a little, but that may be due to my thick carpet.
- How did the color on site compare with the actual product? Matched with chosen color (black). not the same as the color in the image
- Please tell us about the quality of the product. Seems quite good
- How accurate was the on site description of the product? I don't think that "solid wood" is completely correct. It may be completely wood, but it's not planks, it's a compressed wood board of some kind.
Loved that product. It has a solid construction. Holds heavy weight books w/o tipping forward. Wish it was available in more color options, though.
- How did the color on site compare with the actual product? Accuate
- Please tell us about the quality of the product. Excellent
- How accurate was the on site description of the product? Very accurate
Overall I am pleased with this bookshelf. It is pretty sturdy and looks good. It's worth the price I paid.
- How did the color on site compare with the actual product? no picture of the black color was shown
- Please tell us about the quality of the product. good quality
- How accurate was the on site description of the product? very accurate
I bought other bookshelves.that cost more, but by far this is the better one. The quality of the wood is excellent. It is easy to assemble and the final product looks great. I highly recommend this bookshelf.
- Did the color match the color displayed onsite? yes
- How is the quality of the product? really very good wood
- Did the description onsite accurately describe the product? should tell more, this is a great buy.
The color is a perfect match to the picture. Easy to put together. We added wood glue for" peace of mind" stability. Had cover caps for the screws that look good. Thought it might be too small but turned out our books and such fit just right! Best of all it's real wood!! Another great purchase from the big"O"!
- Did the color match the color displayed onsite? perfect match
- How is the quality of the product? very very good
- Did the description onsite accurately describe the product? yes
The disappointment began with unpacking this item. Faint white splotches were on the finish throughout several pieces. (Since I had the dark finish, they were noticeable.) With elbow grease and some Old English they came off. The next disappointment was three of the five shelves had surfaces heavily scratched. Sure, they won't be seen once I put books on them, but I at least want to be the one to put scratches in the furniture! Overall, it was easy to assemble, but there ought to be a law against a hardened steel hex wrench and the light aluminum screws. Assembly took only 20 minutes (but that doesn't count all the cleaning and polishing I had to do).
A really nice small scale bookcase for my office. I needed something with a little height in a room with only chairs and small tables, but but not too blocky and imposing as some bookcases might be. The open slats on the sides in the craftsman style did the job perfectly, with the openness I needed. And I have now sway loading it with books. If I needed another, I'd certainly order one of these.
- Did the color match the color displayed onsite? Yes, color is a match.
- How is the quality of the product? It came without scratches, nice surfaces, and sturdy, as described
- Did the description onsite accurately describe the product? Yes, this was exactly what I expected.
It was REAL WOOD thank goodness! Well built, fairly easy to follow directions, good deal for the money. One problem is the wrong color was delivered, but I kept it instead of going through the bother of returning it and then waiting, hoping someone is home when UPS shows up, etc etc.