Beautiful block upon arrival. Used all of the butcher block as recommended in care instructions and the board still split with proper care. DO NOT BUY!!!! As the board split after 30 days, a replacement/refund was not available to me. Boo! Tear. Very dissatisfied.
- Did the color match the color displayed onsite? Yes.
- How is the quality of the product? Ok.
- Did the description onsite accurately describe the product? Yes.
Cutting boards/chopping blocks can only be really judged by how they perform over the long run, so take this 2 week review with a large grain of salt. However, getting a end grain maple board from a very reputable manufacturer at this price is a very good start (end grain being the best to avoid messing up knife edges, and maple being a board with the right amount of hardness without the silica of bamboo or acacia). The board is as represented in the picture and specs, another good sign. At the 2 week mark after moderate use, no cracks or warping. I will update in a few months.
Looks like the one in the picture and feels a little rough, but that probably goes away as it is used and oiled.
- How did the color on site compare with the actual product? Great
- Please tell us about the quality of the product. Have not used it yet, but it appears to be of high quality and ready to perform
- How accurate was the on site description of the product? Fine
This chopping block came very light in color and as mentioned the dark spots really jumped out at you but after two weeks of daily oiling, I can't begin to tell you what a beautiful piece of assembled wood this item became. It's the first thing people notice in my kitchen now. Price is unbelievable.
- How did the color on site compare with the actual product? This block arrives dry and after two weeks of rubbing with oil, it is truly gorgeous
- Please tell us about the quality of the product. Excellent, however there were noticeable spots of very dark wood which was balanced out nicely after oiling
- How accurate was the on site description of the product? Perfect but dont' remember if weight was listed, it's good and solid and will never fly off the countertop. Instructions were excellent covering things I never knew about block care.
This chopping block is as beautiful as it is functional. I have it prominently displayed on my counter top. It does need quite a bit of mineral oil before using. The wood tends to soak it up pretty fast at the beginning so be prepared. However, once it has been treated with the mineral oil it makes wiping it off after use much easier. This board is VERY heavy and definitely great quality. Very pleased with the purchase.
- How did the color on site compare with the actual product? exact
- Please tell us about the quality of the product. excellent
- How accurate was the on site description of the product? very
This deluxe end grain cutting board is their 15" square model. I am happy I got the square instead of the longer rectangular. Plenty of room, but less obtrusive when left out and easier to store on end. You will need to be assiduous for the first week in putting mineral oil on it daily, and once a week thereafter, in order to keep it from drying out. End grain rather than side grain is the way to go if you can afford the $ diff. Height recommended and USA made by a good company, Michigan Maple Block. Amateur Gourmet Cook
- How did the color on site compare with the actual product? Good representation of delivered cutting board.
- Please tell us about the quality of the product. Exceeded expectations.
- How accurate was the on site description of the product? Accurate
What a quality product!What a bargain! Great quality-great price.This is a purchase that will last and last!
- How did the color on site compare with the actual product? exactly
- Please tell us about the quality of the product. Superior quality-Will last forever
- How accurate was the on site description of the product? very
I was so please to find this chopping block at such a good price. When it arrived I treated the wood like recommended and did so each week. After only a couple of months I noticed that the wood is already starting to separate. I am very dissapointed and of course there is no warrantee on this product. I would not recommend anyone purchasing this chopping block.
I bought two of these boards just over a year ago. When I received them I was very happy with the quality until now. Just out of warrenty of course one board has begun to seperate a glue joint allowing it to start warping and become a bacteria trap. Given the boards are only warrentied for a year I will have to trash it and buy another. I went to the Michigan Maple web site the manufacture of these boards and read the tips on buying boards. Their advice is when buying an end grade board you should purchase a board a minium of 31/2 inches thick to avoid cracking and warping. In my opinion and others the end grain is the only kind to buy so I will purchase a 4 inch Boos board next.
This end grain cutting board is very beautiful - almost too pretty to use but I have been using it for about a month now. Perfect size. It came in a timely manner. Packaged very securely. It also came with a small bottle of butcher block conditioner (which was a surprise) and directions on how to prepare the surface and to take care of it. The price was excellent and I would highly recommend buying it if you are looking for a cutting board. Did I mention how pretty it looks on the counter?
Bought the board from Overstock. Shipped fast and got GREAT service from Overstock. However, the board cracked in multiple places less than a month after it was received. Then to add insult to injury... Overstock does not exchange it!!! They did however provide a FULL refund including the shipping costs back. Will try to buy another chopping block and see if I have better luck.
Received this item and it appears to be as advertised. It is not quite as smooth of a finish as I expected but otherwise first impression is good for the price. Haven't had enough use yet to know if is going to be as serviceable as I hope but am not anticipating any problems. I oiled it everyday for a week after it came and will continue to oil after each use.
I could not believe the quality of this piece. It's solid, heavy, beautiful and will last a lifetime. It took longer than I expected to arrive, other items I order arrives within a few days, I think this took 2 weeks. It was worth waiting for and at a fraction of the retail price in the stores!
I just recently had my kitchen remodeled and was looking for a cutting board that I could leave out on the counter. This product is lovely and really complements the rustic design of my kitchen. It's heavy, no doubt, but that is what I like about it! I don't plan on putting it away, I want to show it off! Love, love, LOVE it!