For those of you new to this contraption, it simply is pretty substitute for a down spout. Originating in the East, it guides rain through a series of cups, or simply down a series of links, to the ground (where you should have a rain barrel, or some way to guide the water away from the house foundation. My rain chain has been hanging for a couple of weeks. It has been unseasonably dry, but on the one day we did have a deluge, I had to laugh as the runoff from the roof gutter soared right over the rain chain. It really is meant to be placed somewhere that it only collects the falling rain (runoff from a roof, for instance, overwhelms it) but the corner of the garage is perfect, where I can see and sometimes hear it. Just a graceful addition to the overall yard. Love it. Linda
I purchased one rain chain for our front yard last year - It's so beautiful! Its functional, as well - in moderate, steady rain, the cups allow an even cascade. We added a copper pot below the chain to catch and divert the water into our garden. We have had many compliments from neighbors and passersby. This year we purchased a second chain for our backyard. I highly recommned this product!
I've only had these up for a few months and they are all rusting so they are not 100% copper as advertised. (And yes, I know the difference between rust and a copper patina). I'll be having to replace them with rain chains from a local roofing supply company that has authentic cooper chains (you can tell the difference since they are much heavier than these). $$$ down the drain!
These are very lovely and look quite attractive on the house they also solve the problem of the roof run off.
- How did the color on site compare with the actual product? Same
- Please tell us about the quality of the product. Seems very good quality. It hasn't rained so I have not seen them in use.
- How accurate was the on site description of the product? Accurate
I ordered this as s birthday gift for my mother who loves copper! She was thrilled when it arrived and requested one for every drainspout of her house. It was used to replace a traditional spout that drained under a deck. For that reason, I did not origionally order the optional copper basin bowl/weight. It wasn't until we put the chain up that we realized that the basin is really necessary to complete the look and feel of the chain. In the future I will look for rain chains sold as sets that include the basin.
- How did the color on site compare with the actual product? True copper penny
- Please tell us about the quality of the product. Sturdier than expected. Likely to stand up to breezy days.
- How accurate was the on site description of the product? Good description. Suggested add ons such as a basin and spout adapter would have been appreciated.
This rain chain really adds some class to my patio and I've matched it with other copper accents for a real put-together look.
- How did the color on site compare with the actual product? Right-on
- Please tell us about the quality of the product. High quality
- How accurate was the on site description of the product? Lotus petals were larger than I thought they would be.
I love these...just had two installed yesterday along with raingutters on the house...they work great (Had to test with a hose on the roof) and look terrific....I think they will look even better when the copper starts to patina. Just ordered another one to extend the length to the spot where I want it...but overall I am really happy!
- How did the color on site compare with the actual product? Perfect match
- Please tell us about the quality of the product. Great quality
- How accurate was the on site description of the product? Good except that chain is a little short of 8 feet, not 8.5 feet as described