We bought this to shade part of our pool from the intense Texas sun. It's still spring but it is already doing a good job. The included hardware was poor quality but I expected that based on reviews from others. Installation went well after picking up some good turnbuckles and anchor bolts from the hardware store. This product is large and awkward so plan on having a couple of able bodied folks on hand for installation especially if stretching it over a pool. Given our available mounting locations, we weren't able to mount it with 2 diagonal corners higher than the others as recommended in the instructions. This led to a sag in the center with our installation due to the size/weight of the product. It stood up to some big winds but seemed ready to "take flight" so I'd recommend taking it down if high winds are expected.
This shade does provide an adequate amount of shade but the product description is misleading. It says the dimensions are 18x18 when in fact that is the possible dimension it can be stretched to, at least that is what I was told by the customer service rep. The square shade went up as shown however no matter how much tension we put on it even with a pitch allowed for rain, dew, etc it still sags in the middle. i am thinking overall the traingular ones would have been a better buy than the square. The sagging in the middle drives me crazy not to mention that overall it is not good for the fabrics longterm wear.
- How did the color on site compare with the actual product? the color was right on target
- Please tell us about the quality of the product. quality appears to be good
- How accurate was the on site description of the product? not quite accurate
Do not underestimate the poor quality of the included hardware, especially the turnbuckles. Unlike some other reviewers, I went ahead and attempted installation with the included hardware. Without even reaching the necessary tension, one of the turnbuckles failed completely, with the eye bolt slipping right through the turnbuckle body. Local hardware store sells stainless 5 1/4" turnbuckles for about $5/each. The shade itself is very nice and appears to be good quality, but they sure dropped the ball on the hardware and would have been better off not even including it.
- Did the color match the color displayed onsite? yes
- How is the quality of the product? excellent, except for hardware
- Did the description onsite accurately describe the product? yes
Two weeks ago we had a bad bad storm come thru our area, our shade sail is hung under our soffit with heavy eye bolts and off the house I put in two 6x6 post concreted in the ground with heavy eye bolts too, well the strom came thru and we had 80 MPH winds I was worried stood at the door and watched the shade sail it just waved in the wind I was amazed with stood 80 MPH winds great product but I would also say it was anchored very well too. worth the money only downfall it you still get some of the hot sun thru it.
- How did the color on site compare with the actual product? Good
- Please tell us about the quality of the product. Outstanding
- How accurate was the on site description of the product? Good
I purcahsed to of these sails for our playground. They were very affordable. Our handyman installed them with a helper. It was definitely a 2-man job. He replaced the hardware with a better quality and the ropes with steel cables because we were concerned ablout wear and tear. The sails look great and provide cool shade. The children and staff are enjoying them.
We upgraded the hardware to install this shade sail. As we live in Texas and face heavy winds daily on our hilltop acreage, I read the other reviews and made the decision to use stronger hardware and wire instead of the nylon rope. I am using the shade sail over my vegetable garden as the Texas sun is extremely brutal in the later summer months. I believe this will keep my garden producing throughout the season and into the fall.
- How did the color on site compare with the actual product? As described
- Please tell us about the quality of the product. Great quality. Compares to those used in commercial applications.
- How accurate was the on site description of the product? Very accurate
After 2 umbrellas breaking (200$ and 300$), and one gazebo (350$), I saw a sun shade while driving and thought I would give it a try. I already spent $850 on the umbrellas that had broke and the wind ripped the gazebo to shreds, so for the price less than any of those I ordered this. Its huge, its perfect, its thick and drops the temp by at least 10* , and I am so very happy with it. It requires two people and a good amount of strength to get it up tight but it can be moved, or put away for the winter, and its even been rained on with no issues WHATSOEVER! I highly recommend it. I give it 10 stars even though 5 was as high as I could rate it.
- How did the color on site compare with the actual product? yes and matches nearly any patio furniture
- Please tell us about the quality of the product. High quality, VERY durable, capable of handling decent amount of wind and even rain
- How accurate was the on site description of the product? true
Everything is wounderful. Very easy and fast to install. Bought new hardware instead of using the rope they sent I got wire so it would't sag. Very great shade and BIG.
- How did the color on site compare with the actual product? Great
- Please tell us about the quality of the product. Very good so far.
- How accurate was the on site description of the product? Very accurate.
I purchased this large Sun Sail Shade in the beige color option several years ago, (when it was on sale for a fraction of today's price), so I can say with all honesty that it's even well worth the current price! Keep in mind that it is NOT a rain barrier... It is an open mesh weave, also used for shade covers on farms and the like. Because of the weave, it never gets hot underneath, gives wonderful shade without blocking light, and is airy and breezy... When I was first deciding to purchase this, I was aware that some of the reviews nixed the cheap attachment hardware (turn-buckles) that this sun sail comes with... They are indeed crappy and not terribly useful, but that does NOT detract in any way from the sun sail itself. We have a country house up on a very windy hilltop with an open deck. In order to attach this sail to the two corners that would provide shade between the house and the deck railing, we had to attach two strong posts to the deck railing, with a heavy duty screw eye in each. The two attachments to the roof eaves are fixed (we use an S hooks or S caribiner hooks for easy detachment). Because of our windy conditions, we understood that the attachments to the posts at the deck railings needed to be very strong, but also very flexible, so as not to do damage to the deck or rip off the sun sail... To accomplish this, we purchased two 7" - 8" heavy duty coil springs from a local hardware store, and again using S hooks to attach the sail to the posts. This has worked like a dream! We've only had to take the shade down during a major storm. (It rolls up quickly and easily, secured by two or three small bungies, and can actually be left hanging in place under the eaves.) So, I would recommend using these heavy duty coil springs to attach the sun sail at least on two points for flexibility without wind damage... We love our sun sail. It was one the best purchases we made for this house. Because of extreme winds here, especially during the winter when the trees are bare, installing a permanently fixed, retractable awning (sun shade), would not have been possible... Highly recommended!
It's huge, so be ready for that. We had a 16x16 prior and this one we ended up using the hardware that came with it because the loops were shorter. We run stainless steel crossover lines under it to keep the sag to a minimum. It provides great shade for the back of our house. It has been through a few rain/wind storms and held up great. The weave is really tight so not as much water comes through as ones we have had in the past.
We purchased the medium size sun-sail a few years ago and loved it, but we needed even more shade over our pool. The only thing I would point out on the large sail is that is has a reinforced seam that runs along the middle of the sail. I think this should be in the description, as I was surprised, It's like they took a medium size and sewed on more to make it a large. It is still very durable, just don't pull it too tight. We did and it ripped but Overstock replaced it with no hassle. Allow it to have enough give for changing weather, which can be extreme here in Texas. It looks fantastic over our pool and we get many compliments on it,
We get full sun in the backyard all day long, and in the summertime it gets really hot. We used the Sail Sun Shades over our slatted patio roof attached to the back of the house and it lowered the temperature under the patio and in the rooms on the back of the house by 10-20 degrees. At the height of the summer, prior to us installing these shades, it was impossible to sit out on the patio because it was unbearably hot. Now we can sit outside all summer long and enjoy the backyard, It also helped to reduce our air conditioning bill. Great product. We've had our Sail Sun Shade for over 2 years now, and will likely purchase more of them.
- How did the color on site compare with the actual product? Perfect color match.
- Please tell us about the quality of the product. Excellent quality.
- How accurate was the on site description of the product? Accurate description.
The product was ok....but smaller than i thought wanted 18 foot of covered space....much smaller
- How did the color on site compare with the actual product? Ok
- Please tell us about the quality of the product. Shade is good...hardware is not so good
- How accurate was the on site description of the product? Confusing....size of 16-18 feet without a good explanation
Purchased two of these for our business. The fabric is great but no so much the hardware. Went to Home Depot and bought heavy duty hardware and it looks and works great!
- How did the color on site compare with the actual product? Perfect
- Please tell us about the quality of the product. Excellent
- How accurate was the on site description of the product? Excellent
Did not work for us - we could not get the sail high enough, had to return it.
- How did the color on site compare with the actual product? color was as described
- Please tell us about the quality of the product. Good heavy quality
- How accurate was the on site description of the product? accurate description
Bolted to treated posts. Ideal for shade for my flock, and the price was excellent. Bought a smaller one at Walmart 2 years ago. Still have it, was 1/4 the size and half the price of this HUGE one. Great bargain. Metal rings sewn in to corners. Very durable high quality. Has held up great in high winds too!
This covering is great, with the California drought this covering over part of my backyard has help me cut down in water usage. It allows light to go thru but doesn't allow my grass and plants to dry out. It also provide perfect amount of shade for relaxing outside during hot days. You can really feel the difference between areas that are not covered with areas that are.