Remodeling older Florida home. Lucky enough to have new drywall and studs, but I can now see how I would install this on older walls in other closets. I took the time and drew out my designs on the provided graphing tools. It made all the difference as we did a walk in close, not a straight run. We bought two towers and two closet systems. With only one tower wall left upon completion, we creatively used every linear foot of shelf and had plenty of rod space. If I had to guess, we tripled the capacity of the close with this system. It took my husband and I about three days to mount and hang everything. Not 3 8 hour days, more like 3 5 hours days. The best thing we did was to have a plan. Once we put in the first tower (shelf unit) we had a system down. A $ stud finder was a big help, too. While you can do this with basic tools, if you plan on going rouge from the supplied designs, rent or borrow a chop saw. That made very fast work of the shelving cuts. Bars we a little tough to cut with a hack saw, but easy. We took advantage of all the extra hardware to reinforce everything. And, Overstock and another big box retailer sell extra hardware, accessories and shelving a la carte. YOU MUST GEt ThE VALET BAR! TOO COOL. One of those things that makes you say, "Why didn't I have one of these for years?" I can say with 100% certainly that we LOVE the results. We paid attention to detail and design and our closet could easily be worth 3-4 times what we spent in resale value. We WILL be adding an additional system to our guest bedroom closet once we move. Lastly, if you are not comfortable with anything above basic tools i.e. using a level, anchors etc etc, get some help or hire a handyman. We learned a lot but had the time and resources to do so. Good luck and enjoy your new closet! :-)
- How did the color on site compare with the actual product? Exact
- Please tell us about the quality of the product. Superior to what we found at the local DIY stores
- How accurate was the on site description of the product? Sufficient Info on O Site, customer reviews most helpful
This is designed for a 10ft wide closet. There's a lot of trimming if your closet is not that wide. With a little creativity, you can still end up with a great closet. Love it.
- How did the color on site compare with the actual product? The cherry wood was far more rich and beautiful in person.
- Please tell us about the quality of the product. The closet system looks and assembles like a high-end department store product. The screws, drywall sets, hanger bars are first class quality
I had been toying with the idea of a closet system for years and finally decided to do it. I ordered two systems and a box system, and had a carpenter do the installation. I am so happy with how it looks! Time wise, he was 10 hours, but that included taking the generic wire closet out, painting and doing the two systems and the extra box. I am going to order another JL system do do another closet!
- How did the color on site compare with the actual product? The color seemed slight more orange tinged that i expected.
- Please tell us about the quality of the product. The pieces are heavy and look high quality. We had one of the brackets that broke, and had to go to the hardware store to replace it..
- How accurate was the on site description of the product? Very accurate.
I got this to update my closet and to give me more organization. I'm just an ordinary woman with no more than average construction skills and know-how, and I did it myself with great results. The directions were clear and easy to follow- even I could do it! I love my new closet.
- How did the color on site compare with the actual product? Great
- Please tell us about the quality of the product. Excellent quality
- How accurate was the on site description of the product? Very accurate description
I love this organizer. It is beautiful to look at, functional and fairly easy to put together. I didn't need any help to get this into my closet. It comes with easy to use instructions and all the parts you need.
- How did the color on site compare with the actual product? perfect
- Please tell us about the quality of the product. The wood is beautiful and solid. It's well manufactured
- How accurate was the on site description of the product? It was very accurate
I have ordered John Louis closet systems in the past , and love them. This is the first time I've ordered them from Overstock. One of the shelves was damaged and both Overstock and the John Louis company went above and beyond to replace the shelf. Kudos to them both. I will make future orders and highly recommend both.
I ordered two of these systems for a walk-in closet (one for each side). There are incredible systems and excellently constructed. The only drawback (and it is included in the instructions) is that you need to cut wood shelves and metal clothing bars in order to make it fit *your* specific closet. This, of course, requires additional labor and tools that may not be easily noticed in the desciption or advertisement. I did not mind doing the work, and the closet looks incredible. If you accept that you need to "modify" the delivered pieces, then this is an excellent closet system.
Definately needs carpentry skills for installation. Hubbie took his time, read the instructions, measured properly and 8 hours later my closet was complete! Liked the product so much we installed 3 of these units in our owner's closet.
Decent price for an attractive wood product that looks better than many popular big box retailers. I'd rank this between good & excellent, but there's no rating option for that because the color selection is limited. It's tough to match this color. Installation was managed with no issues by a handyman.
- Did the color match the color displayed onsite? yes
- How is the quality of the product? good
- Did the description onsite accurately describe the product? yes
I bought this for an old house that was 'customized' by its last owner 40 yrs ago. The closet was 7'8"w x 18"d x 84"h to top of opening [inside is 96"]. This system just fits from front to back with room to close closet doors. I also dropped top shelf height 2" to allow me to put stuff on the top shelf. This also left me with 1 4' shelf unit that was cut in half to fit tower giving me 2 more shelves. 3/4" plywood was the backing for the closet. I anchored it all with #8 3/4" wood screws. Closet is very sturdy and holding up perfectly. DIRECTIONS were easy to follow: check measurements and cut once! Took about 4 hours total to install. I would highly recommend!!!
I have a 7X9 foot walk in. I purchased two kits and 3 towers with glass doors on two of the towers. Be prepared to do some adjusting if your walls aren't level. Also be prepared to spend some time putting this together. It took me a good 4 hours to put one kit together. As previously mentioned by another user, once the first one is in place you become familiar with the next installation. However, take your time and don't rush through it. I was able to modify the design to maximize the efficiency of the units to our closet. Overall it went well, looks great and there have been a lot of compliments!