We bought this trunk as storage for our son's outdoor toys in our backyard patio. The best things about this trunk is the richness of the color and the solid feel. It's a heavy trunk, but still easy enough to move around on the ground if needed. Storage depth is 13", which is a little bit smaller than I expected but still decent--great for storing balls, water toys, cushions, shoes, etc. It took about 30 minutes for me to put together, and like other customers have said, the screw holes on the back of the trunk (for the hinge) don't match up perfectly with the lid hinges, so I had to re-drill some of them. Not a big problem if you have a drill, but some would not be happy about this. There was a slight crush/dent on the back panel (not a major deal if it backs up against something). One of the hinges also got stuck against the side of the trunk, so I had to bend the hinge slightly towards the center so that it wouldn't get caught against the edge. Families with little kids might want to consider carefully since the lid is heavy. Overall, even with the minor construction flaws, I'm quite pleased with the trunk which also makes for a nice bench or even a drink cooler (if you have a separate tub to put inside for the drinks. I plan on getting a second one.
nice looking trunk; not big enough for cushions but we got it to stow snorkling gear for guests and it is roomy enough....solid, nice weight, dry but ventilated well. priced way better than teak and should be very durable and weather-proof (with a good coat of penafin oil). on the down side---some wood slats were cracked and the holes were not alligned properly for assembly. the hardware is worthless from the screws to the hinges.....but with a good drill, wood glue, clamps, brass hardware, and a good sense of assembly you will have a decent trunk for the deck, just be prepared to do some work to make it work!
- How did the color on site compare with the actual product? exact
- Please tell us about the quality of the product. ok...
- How accurate was the on site description of the product? exact
We ordered this piece to store patio cushions when not in use. It is perfect. We protected with some varnish so it will remain pretty and not fade in the weather. We had one minor problem, and that was with the small screws for the hinges. An electric driver will snap them off easily, so be careful. Otherwise very happy. Customer service was outstanding.
The chest is very nice and a good size for chair cushions and for a lounge pillow. However, as a deck box for storage I had expected it to be water/weatherproof. Unfortunately, it is not. After our first rain, we had water inside and it took awhile to dry the interior of the chest and the cushions. We now have to remember to cover it with a tarp each evening, which isn't what I had desired. Outside furniture should be weatherproof unless otherwise clearly stated. So, I am disappointed. But, it looks great for a covered area.
- How did the color on site compare with the actual product? Accurate
- Please tell us about the quality of the product. Fair
- How accurate was the on site description of the product? Failed to state whether it was waterproof/or not. Outside: Assumed to be waterproof.
The box was fairly easy to put together and looks very classy. We encountered the same problems as most previous customers, in the sense of the screws fell apart while trying to screw them in.
- How did the color on site compare with the actual product? very well
- Please tell us about the quality of the product. the wood is of great quality, the hardware is incredibly poor quality and disintegrates during installation
- How accurate was the on site description of the product? accurate
This is a well made bench/box. The parts were well crafted with nice wood. The hardware is high quality and it's easy to put together. The only complaint is the shipping box is a little weak so it could be possible to damage if shipper isn't careful. The instructions weren't very clear but if you have any mechanical ability, it's really obvious how it fits together. Looks great when finished. Love it.
I absolutely love the wood, size and style of the bench. The biggest problem, which has been mentioned in several reviews, but I hoped I'd be lucky, is the hardware and hinges. I had to drill holes to fit some of the back hinges and it wasn't easy. I got it together fine to use, but this is not something people should have to deal with. Aside from that, it's just beautiful.
This was quite difficult to assemble. We had to drill new holes in the deck lid in order to get one of the hinges to fit after encountering multiple attempts to get the darn thing to close. We also had to drill new holes for hinge to be installed. The box looks great but the aggravation necessitated by the poor in attention to construction of the box was not fun.
Halfway decent product. If you have extended rain storms like us here in South Florida avoid this product. It shows water damage and warps very quickly. This happened to mine after 6 months. It also molds/mildews very quickly if not kept cleaned
Very good product for the price. Definitely purchase it. I have it in a covered area so should wear very well. Easy to assemble.
- How did the color on site compare with the actual product? Color was exactly as shown on site.
- Please tell us about the quality of the product. The product is good and a great value.
- How accurate was the on site description of the product? Description was very good, but more info on hinges...because you have to hold it to lower it. I used rubber bumpers.
When assembling, the screws included were too soft and broke. It was hard to get them out in order to put decent screws in. So far through several rains, it has not leaked. We have stored all our patio cushions and pillows in there.
- How did the color on site compare with the actual product? It is as bright as on the web site - hoping it will fade over time.
- Please tell us about the quality of the product. Good quality - except screws too soft - broke easily. Had to put in different screws.
- How accurate was the on site description of the product? Good
A solid, hardwood, 100% disappointment. I guess it depends on what you hoped for, but this is a snack serving table at best. I thought I was going to be able to keep some of our outdoor cusions stowed neatly away when not in use. What a waste of money. Too expensive to ship back to bother returning it, so this will be donated to our local garbage dump's swap area. There someone might feel this is a decent value for what they paid (as in they'll get it for free). What went wrong: 1. Size: somehow, once assembled, all the details are missing... cheap hardware; inexplicably small. Not even big enough for the throw cusions on our chairs, no less a seat cusion or two. 2. Quality: hinges are NOT as pictured, it has a restraint "chain" keep lid from fallin backwards, and slaps down hard and fast. I fear it could mame one of my children or worse, break their bones. Certainly is a hazard even to an adult if not very carefully used. 3. A super-pain to put it all together. Heavy pieces to move around and hold in place for screwing together (not a 1 person job), poorly pre-drilled, had to buy some new screws to use, and, had to engage a neighbor with power tools to help. Which means it cost an extra bottle of wine on top of the cost of buying this, going to harware store for supplies to assemble it, and then paying someone to haul it to the dump now that it's finished. A shame, really. Just a complicated mess.
- How did the color on site compare with the actual product? close
- Please tell us about the quality of the product. weak to poor quality (besides raw material of wood being okay, the rest was cheap)
- How accurate was the on site description of the product? weak, it is not a useful size, a decent quality or a special product (except being a BIG project to assemble) at all. A solid disappointment.
This item is not worth the money or your time. Looks are deceiving. It looks great online but not in person. It should not be difficult to put together, holes should match up, quality of the screws provided are poorly made. I don't understand why others would continue to purchase this product. If you want to purchase a low quality bench, this would be the one.
- How did the color on site compare with the actual product? fine
- Please tell us about the quality of the product. average
The reviews I read were pretty good, so I bought it. But I was disappointed. Still am. The trunk is fairly solid, but the wood splits easily and even the screws they provided are very cheap. half the heads chipped on when I was trying to screw them in - most of them when the screw was already deep in the wood, so now the holes are filled I can't put a new screw in. The look is nice. The Quality is poor.
- How did the color on site compare with the actual product? close enough
- Please tell us about the quality of the product. Bad quality. Screw holes not in correct place, wood had splits in it, screws provided broke off repeatedly.
- How accurate was the on site description of the product? Wrong. The dimensions are embellished, it is smaller than described.
I bought this item as a school auction item for my daughter's class (we filled it with summer fun stuff). I assembled it by myself fairly easily. I did have to redrill some holes as the were not lined up properly. This was a little frustrating to work through, but not a difficult solution. I hated to give this away for the auction. It's really a nice, sturdy ourdoor trunk.
- How did the color on site compare with the actual product? Very accurate
- Please tell us about the quality of the product. Good Quality
- How accurate was the on site description of the product? Quite accurate
Only problem with this unit was the "soft" brass screws that came with the unit. Although the holes for the hinges were pre-drilled, three of the holes in the lid (pre-drilled) were too shallow. This along with the quality of the screws caused three out of four (in the lid) to break off. Could not get two of the screws to back out, so had to move the hinge over 3/4 of an inch in order to put in the new screws ( bought at the local hardware store) which were of better quality and would not break under the stress caused by a hand-held screw driver. Other than this, a great piece for the price......
- How did the color on site compare with the actual product? Good Coloring
- Please tell us about the quality of the product. Everything as expected except the brass screws used to fasten hinges to lid
- How accurate was the on site description of the product? Good