I did a lot of research before buying this system. It arrived securely packaged, assembled quickly and functions simply and easily. Most importantly, my seedlings this year are the healthiest I've ever started. I am very pleased with this purchase.
- How did the color on site compare with the actual product? It was just as pictured onsite
- Please tell us about the quality of the product. Excellent quality
I am a 67 year old grandmother and was able to assemble this by myself following the directions in under an hour. It took me a few minutes to realize I had to remove the blub and pull off the foam holders that protected the blub from jostling and then replace the blub before it would light. I have been using it for 6 days and have seedling sprouting.
- How did the color on site compare with the actual product? Colors were dark green with black caps on the feet
- Please tell us about the quality of the product. This is a study stand, better than others I have viewed on line
- How accurate was the on site description of the product? pretty accurate, little vague in places
I originally purchased one of these a few months ago from a different web site and was so happy with it that I decided to order another one and thankfully Overstock.com had it in the lowest price range that I was looking for. I was pleasantly surprised that the stand was a little taller than the 1st one that I bought and the lighting system works well allowing me to start my vegetable garden seeds indoor early. Otherwise I would have to wait until May to plant my seeds given the long New England winters. I liked this system so much that I purchased one for my brother-in-law, for Christmas, who is also an avid gardener.
- How did the color on site compare with the actual product? as described
- Please tell us about the quality of the product. This is really good quality for the price and works well.
- How accurate was the on site description of the product? as described.
I set up the grow-light and ballast and purchased 2 trays of Jiffy starter squares and some organic 'strating' soil. I also purchased a timer and have the timer programmed to have the bulb running 18hrs a day. The sprouts are coming out very quickly and easily overtook the plants I placed outdoors almost two weeks earlier. I would recommend that if you have the indoors, get a "space" blanket to put over the light and ballast system because the light is very strong. Happy growing!
- How did the color on site compare with the actual product? same
- Please tell us about the quality of the product. Reasonably well constructed, intelligent, simple repairable ballast design
- How accurate was the on site description of the product? Accurate
For some reason I thought there would be two bulbs in this light. However, I think the grow light is good. It is what I expected otherwise. If I were to buy this again, I think I'd buy two 2-foot grow lights instead of this long one.
- How did the color on site compare with the actual product? good
- Please tell us about the quality of the product. good
- How accurate was the on site description of the product? good
So, this would be a five star review if the assembly had been a bit easier, and one of the feet on the legs hadn't broken. In spite of those two minor problems, I love the product. You can easily fit a large earth box under the light and you might also be able to fit two junior earthboxes. Also good for growing seedlings. Works with a three prong timer from the local hardware store.
I had one of these already, purchased at a local garden shop. I wanted another, and decided to order when I saw it marked down here. The day after it arrived, my husband and I unpacked it and set it up. When he carefully opened the box to get the bulb out, it basically exploded in his hands. He wasn't hurt but tiny shards of glass went everywhere. The package was not exposed to extreme temps nor was it dropped, at least not once it arrived at my house. Although we saved money on this light, we immediately had to buy a new bulb, and we had to clean up a bunch of teeny glass shards in the greenhouse. I didn't send it back because that would have just cost more money. I assume that the damage happened in transit but the packaging was inadequate as well. I kept it because I would have had to replace the bulb eventually anyway, but I wish I'd just bought another locally.
- How did the color on site compare with the actual product? Fine
- Please tell us about the quality of the product. Fine
- How accurate was the on site description of the product? Good
I learned the hard way that when you have some seedlings growing faster than others, leaving the one bulb one height is difficult, so you need to raise one side higher than the other so that everything gets the proper amount of light at the same time. I ended up buying a new system with multiple bulbs so that the slower growing plants can have the light at the proper level while the taller plants can also have their taller light at the proper level. It's good bough if u have all the same crop under the light that grows at the same rate
This little system was easy to set up and is functioning as described, although it's quite a bit bigger than I thought it would be and not that that's a bad thing. I added a heated mat underneath to keep them warm and now I am so excited watching these little plants come up.
I received my grow light within 5 days.(very fast service). All parts included just as described. It was very easy to snap together. Light bulb was already in the fixture. I had planted my seeds three day previous, and when light arrived I put it over them. The plants popped up by that night. It was unbelievable! I would recommend this light.
I grow my vegetables from seed. That way I don't buy the problems from growing nurseries by buying their ready-made plants, along with disease and growth retardants. I have always struggled with spindly baby plants. But this year, my plants have grown sturdy stems, and have leafed sooner. I am very happy with my Grow Light System. Just wish I had room for one more.