A challenge to put together, but very nice quality once it is done. It was listed as 28" in diameter so I was purchasing it with plans to put it into a narrow 30" opening. It fit into the opening, but the doors won't open in that space. The description should have mentioned that there needed to be additional space in diameter in order for the doors to open.
We ordered two of these media storage cabinets. The quality of the material is very good, all the parts were included with nothing missing and is very sturdy when finished. It takes a while to put it together- be patient! This is also a nice addition to a your living room or media room as far as its aesthetic value. The price is good for the quality.
Overall this cabinet is a good size for storing plenty of cd's,dvd's,video games etc. and assembly wasn't very difficult(for two people). Biggest problem with cabinet is awful locking system. Left door is held closed by cheap plastic latch mounted on edge of door which slides up into hole in top of cabinet(also a nuisance to line up and mount). Right door has cheap key lock which is supposed to lock into a groove in top of cabinet. My 2 year old granddaughter was able to yank open doors, getting rt. door lock to pull out of groove and rip top screw out of left door latch. I was able to reattach left door latch with extra long screws. The right door was more difficult because I had to mount a catch for the lock while leaving enough clearance for the top of the door. The cabinet is fine and functional now and doing what it supposed to(keep little hands out). One other thing; if you are going to use for cd's THIS CABINET DOES NOT COME WITH ENOUGH LONG SHELVES TO USE AS PICTURED!!! There are only four adjustable long shelves included. To use as pictured you need six!!
It is a really pretty cabinet and I know it will meet my needs but they need to work on the instructions. It would be better if the instructions had the locking hardware installed while the pieces are flat. I also had to get my drill out because where the lock is installed because there were no holes pre-drilled and there was no way I could get the lock installed without drilling. I also had troubles with the apparatus that holds the other side closed. The screws (or the holes that are there) do not match in size so I can't get it attached. It too, would have been easier to install with the unit flat. I am either going to have to glue that apparatus in place or go to the hardware store or use some command strips to hold it in place. In the end it took me about 4 hours to assemble. With all of that said, I should reiterate that it is a very pretty unit and it will meet my needs.
Bought two of these. Took 5 hours to assemble. The assembly instructions were not real clear and half the nails were missing which I suplemented. But I finally got it together and it looks good and will cleanly store half of my DVD's. I know what to expect now with the second one.
Went together easily and should last a long time. Did take two of us to move it; it is quite heavy.
- How did the color on site compare with the actual product? matched
- Please tell us about the quality of the product. nice quality; seems durable
- How accurate was the on site description of the product? very
The whole idea of the CD/DVD storage was great, but the design was poorly executed. For starters, if you don't have the doors locked the unit remains open. One door has a lock and the other has a slide that is goes into on the inside of the unit and it's not very easy to get into. The directions to put the unit together were very vague and made it difficult to put some of the parts together, especially the doors. We are satisfied with the look, but some of the design flaws just make the unit a little more difficult to use. We expected it to be like a closet, but it is more of a pain to get open than a normal closet of storage unit.
- How did the color on site compare with the actual product? Color was fine.
- Please tell us about the quality of the product. Some of the pieces were flimsy and the directions were very vague at times.
- How accurate was the on site description of the product? Pretty right on
I used to assemble flat box furniture for all the major office supply companies for a living, so I was hesitant about purchasing flat box anything. Typically you encounter missing pieces, damaged finishes, incomprehensible assembly instructions, holes not pre-drilled where they should be, etc. However, because of the reviews, I decided to take my chances on this cabinet, and I'm very, very glad I did. The finished piece is incredibly stable, which was my biggest concern, attractive, and the storage capacity is ample with room to grow. I did assemble this myself, and found it quite manageable, even for a petite lady with a bad back. At any rate, I highly recommend a cordless drill if you have one; screwing the cam bolts in by hand can really give you a sore wrist, so be prepared to tag team or take breaks. If you do have to assemble alone, however, be aware that hanging the doors can be rough without someone to hold them in place, but I managed to utilize some kitchen cutting boards to help keep them up while I attached them to the cabinet. (This, however, WAS NOT FUN. I wouldn't recommend it.) As always, excellent product and excellent service from Overstock.
- How did the color on site compare with the actual product? Agree with previous reviewers that the actual product seems a bit darker than pictured, here.
- Please tell us about the quality of the product. Excellent.
- How accurate was the on site description of the product? Quite accurate.
We just today got this put the rest of the way together. We are elderly, so we did it in several segments on several days so we wouldn't stress our backs. It definitely takes two people to assemble it. It is heavy, but with two people, it was quite doable. It went together with nothing more that a few household tools - nothing exotic. Now to the task of organizing our DVD's and CD's into some sort of logical system so we can find them when we want them! That's the real challenge.
- How did the color on site compare with the actual product? It seems perhaps a tic darker
- Please tell us about the quality of the product. Very good
- How accurate was the on site description of the product? Very good
I have three kids under two years so I needed a locking cabinet. I love it. The color is great and was easy enough to put together. It did take a coupled hours. We had a piece broken off on a door part and customer service was great. Took care of everything and we had our piece in about a week in a half. Also I see others complain that the piece is unstable. In the directions it says to anchor to the wall. We don't have to do that. It is fine on our carpet. We love that we can organize our screen and few under lock and key. Great piece of furniture for the price.
- How did the color on site compare with the actual product? very close
- Please tell us about the quality of the product. great for the price.
- How accurate was the on site description of the product? good
Easy to put together with two people if you follow the directions. The hardest part was putting on the hinges as the two sections that you are hinging together do not line up on the ground exactly - we put items underneath to raise one section up.
- How did the color on site compare with the actual product? Color was as expected - love it.
- Please tell us about the quality of the product. Quality is great - the locking mechanism is a little cheesy and appeared difficult to install. We weren't concerned with having a lock so we only installed the outer portion for looks.
- How accurate was the on site description of the product? Did not actually count the DVD spaces - but everything else was accurate.
I was pleasantly surprised in the quality. Many of the reviews posted how cheap it looked and poor quality that it was. It came with all the parts and even a few extra. I would definitely purchase again if it became filled,( which we are about a dozen away from.). The doors haven't seemed to sag from the weight. Very pleased overall.
- How did the color on site compare with the actual product? Color was a perfect match
- Please tell us about the quality of the product. Way better than I thought.. Not cheap looking at all for the price
- How accurate was the on site description of the product? Very accurate
Great item. Took awhile to put together. Be aware that it has to be secured to a wall though. Could easily tip over if not secured. Saved us alot of room in our living room.
- How did the color on site compare with the actual product? Yes
- Please tell us about the quality of the product. Great item
- How accurate was the on site description of the product? Exactly as described
Unit went together easy, you need two people as there are a lot of parts. Plan to attach to wall as the unit is heavy and could tip over when filled. I would consider buying a second one if all the DVD's and CD's do not fit in this one. Even though this is press board constuction it is higher quality, back is very thin so it would be possible to shove something through it, putting it against the wall would help prevent that from happening.
- How did the color on site compare with the actual product? fine
- Please tell us about the quality of the product. Good quality for the price
- How accurate was the on site description of the product? unit looks bigger than it is
It took me about 2.5 hours to assembly it all by myself. The only thing I needed help with was to bring it in the front door but i really could have done that myself if I didn't care about my back. It has 2 locking features to keep it closed and all the piece fit perfect together. It holds countless DVDs so its really cool. I also close it most the time so my asymmetric DVDs aren't an eye sore and so my dogs don't eat my DVDs (which they have before). The only 2 problems are that the doors don't stay open all the way and that the wood is easily scratched.
- How did the color on site compare with the actual product? Great
- Please tell us about the quality of the product. Great
- How accurate was the on site description of the product? Great
I am very pleased with this purchase. The cabinet arrived quickly and was very sturdy and heavy. I wasn't prepared for two boxes so I became a little nervous when I opened the first box and not all pieces were there. The next day the second box was delivered and then I began the assembly. It took a while to assemble and it wasn't always clear which should be the top/botton/front/back. I had to reverse a couple of the shelves when I noticed that the unfinished side faced forward. It took about three hours to assemble however I chose to reinforce it with wood glue at each joint. This was not in the instructions but from my experience assembling cabinets, I thought that it wouldn't hurt and that the extra time would pay off in the long run. Overall I am very happy with the cabinet. The color is true to the picture and description. I am waiting to have the room painted so I haven't yet filled it with the DVDs or I would have probably rated it Excellent.
- How did the color on site compare with the actual product? Great
- Please tell us about the quality of the product. It appears to be very sturdy and heavy. Very nice item.
- How accurate was the on site description of the product? Very accurate.