While this bed looks nice and appears to be of reasonable quality, it was designed in such a way that two of the four storage drawers, those nearest the headboard, are rendered essentially unusable if, like most people, you have nightstands on either side of the bed. The under-bed storage was one of the main reason I'd purchased this bed. In order to open those drawers, the nightstand has to be moved out of the way. I suppose I can live with that and will store less frequently used items there but a better design would have been nice. While it wasn't especially difficult to assemble, it was tedious because of a poorly designed slat system that forms the underlayment of the mattress and I'm not sure how durable it will be given that the connectors are plastic. I also don't care for the fact that there is nothing between the mattress and storage drawers (no platform), it's all open because of the slat design. Also worth noting is that the drawers, while fairly spacious, are not actually connected to the bed frame but are each a separate rolling unit. These might work well on bare floors but don't really function that well if you have carpet because the wheels are pretty small. Overall this has been a very disappointing purchase. Unfortunately, the design flaws are not apparent until you have the bed put together and once that's done it's nearly impossible to return it. And considering how much trouble I went through to get the bed, I've decided I might as well keep it.
- How did the color on site compare with the actual product? It's a much darker brown than I would consider "espresso", so dark, it almost looks black
- Please tell us about the quality of the product. Fairly good quality but has design flaws (see below)
- How accurate was the on site description of the product? Reasonably accurate except that it's billed as a platform bed and there is actually no "platform"
I haven't had this bed for close to a year and the main support beam snapped. I should have known, as I was weary of the thin boards that were supposed to support my mattress. It seemed like something was missing. The middle post to hold up the support beam is approx 1" thick...and was wobbly from the beginning. I'm also 5'3", 130lbs and thought maybe poor reviews were from heavier customers, etc. (Ignorance?) However, the beam snapped while I was sleeping. I fell for the look of this bed because it was exactly what I wanted aesthetically but is poor in construction. It's really a crime, because it's not a cheap bed!
This was my first large purchase from overstock and I was not let down. The bed is just as described, easy to put together and beautiful.
- How did the color on site compare with the actual product? as described
- Please tell us about the quality of the product. great product for great price
- How accurate was the on site description of the product? as described