I purchased 2 of these stools. The welds are solid. The only issue is the black metal banding around the wood seat is not flush, so there is a gap around the wood in some areas. I do not mind this, as the piece is supposed to be rustic and casual. Also, the wood seat is not sanded smooth, but again, the piece is rustic. It's not enough to give splinters. The stool also needed some oiling to avoid a hideous squeek when rotated. For me, none of these issues were a problem and I love the stools. They look great and have a nice balance of being large enough to have a 'presence,' but small enough so as not to overwhelm a space. They were also a FABULOUSLY cost effective option. You just can not compare the price range of these to similar items from more elite sites. When I purchased, they were sold out, so I put my name on the wait list. I received an email letting me know they were in stock again. I purchased them at 10:00 a.m. and by 4:00 p.m. they were sold out again!
- How did the color on site compare with the actual product? I couldn't really tell what color the stool was from the site, but it said black and yes, it is black.
- Please tell us about the quality of the product. Product is solid and fully functional.
- How accurate was the on site description of the product? Just fine
These stools - we got two - are decent and will do the job (and fit the aesthetic) in our kitchen. They're are sturdy. The seat width is extra wide, which won't leave your behind, behind. The adjuster-mechanism works and looks cool (quell the squeaks with oil). We decided to finish the seats with some tung oil we had, definitely warms up the grain of the wood (and hopefully will help condition the cracks on their undersides). The wood grade is definitely a "budget" grade - it's mixed-grain with visible knots and one seat is denser than the other. Had we had the budget, we would have gone with the real thing (handmade in the USA). These stools are a good substitute though.
- How did the color on site compare with the actual product? The base is darker, more of a brazed charcoal-black
- Please tell us about the quality of the product. The stool is wobble-free and weighted with sand inside (sounds like a rain-stick when you flip it upside down). Overall, the base is sturdy. The wood seat, though not particle or veneer, is extremely lightweight for "natural Fir wood" and prone to cracking (perhaps from being unfinished and drilled with screws 8 times to attach it to the base). The seat may need replacing in a few years, especially if left unfinished. "Natural Fir Wood Finish" is a misnomer, the wood is not finished with varnish. It's also a mixed grain appearance, with small visible knots.
- How accurate was the on site description of the product? Fairly accurate, though these stools are a product of China, so if you're looking for craftsmanship and exquisite quality, invest in the real thing.
I have been looking for bar stools for over a year, now. I had fallen in love with a reproduction style similar to these stools by another company and also have been watching the actual vintage items on an online auction site. The price on these stools is what drew my attention; easily 1/3 the price of anything else I have looked at. The stools shipped for free, and arrived at my doorstep 8 days after ordering them, exactly as promised (and in the middle of Christmas). I am overall pleased with the quality of these stools, they are quite heavy. The seats screw up and down to adjust the height and provide swivel. They are counter height when screwed all the way down, would accomodate bar height adjusted up. The site says that there is a laquer finish; this must be on the iron base (which looks to be a black distressed finish over a lighter base) . The unfinished wooden seats are heavily grooved but not splinter-y, and there is a small gap between the iron band around the seat and the seat itself (this may be a pain to clean after some time, but otherwise doesn't bother me aesthetically). I removed the seats and stained/polyurehaned them so they would stand up to dalily use and cleaning, and while the seats were off two of them split partways through. I see now in other reviews that seat-splitting happened to others and they exchanged them, but I didn't report the problem to Overstock. The quality of the seat is the major reason I am rating them 4 instead of 5 stars. My kids and several of their friends have commented on how comfortable the stools are--although this might be more of a comparison to the fold up, plastic things we have been eeking by with for the duration of my stool search. :) All-in-all these stools provide just the industrial/antique look that I was wanting to find, without the fussiness of an antique item--just right for family living.
- How did the color on site compare with the actual product? The site has photos of two different stools; The photo inside the product description is very close to what we recieved.
- Please tell us about the quality of the product. I am confident that these stools will stand up to daily use by my family.
- How accurate was the on site description of the product? Site description lacked detail, but everything they included was accurate. Thank you, reviewers for filling in the gaps.
I ordered these stools because I saw a similar item in a pricey publication. I saved $259 on each stool and the quality is excellent. They arrived completely assembled and are a very sturdy stool. I am very pleased. They are exactly what I wanted.
- How did the color on site compare with the actual product? the color was very close to what I expected from the picture on site
- Please tell us about the quality of the product. The quality exceeded my expectations.
- How accurate was the on site description of the product? extremely accurate
The look so cool - heavy industrail chic - in person, they were a disappointment. The metal looked cheaper than the picture and was lighter than expected and the wood tops/seats were so dry that one was split. Had to sen them back. As usual, dealing with Overstock Customer Service was a breeze.
- How did the color on site compare with the actual product? similar
- Please tell us about the quality of the product. fair to poor
- How accurate was the on site description of the product? pretty close
We stayed at a well designed rental cabin several years ago, and among one of the most striking features were their bar stools. I had never appreciated the chic industrial look...until I saw those stools! I asked the proprietor where the stools were purchased (very high end restorative furniture store.) I proceeded to go online with all intentions of buying the stools -- until I nearly gagged at the price. Sorry! This middle class working girl can't justify that! So, I tried to forget about the stools. Two years later we bought a new house, and I HAD to have those stools! Scoured the Internet. Found these on Overstock. Couldn't be happier! And at 1/3 the price! I purchased two stools, and purchased a third several months later. The first two had the naked fir wood seat. This wasn't a problem for me, as I had planned on staining and sealing it a darker color, anyway. The third stool had a layer of polyurethane on it. It appeared to be just one layer; possibly applied after the stool was assembled. I lightly sanded all the stools and stained them. The third one needed more than a light sanding to remove all the polyurethane. As a result, it's a slightly different shade than the other two. This is not a big deal for me, as I appreciate the hand-wrought look. We placed silicone pads on the feet to remove the possibility of floor scratches. The frame is not iron, but sprayed steel to appear just like iron. (We'd pay a helluva lot more for iron.) They spin the seat round to the appropriate height. I'm a short-legged girl of 5' 5" and like it at it's shortest, where the seat is resting on the legs. These are fun, industrial chic, stylish stools which we have received many compliments. We received them in typical quick, Overstock time, and they were packaged nicely, preventing any damage. Well-made, the stools should last a long-time and sure to add an element of sophistication and design to your room!
We had been looking for bar stools like this on a number of other sites, but the price was much higher. Im not sure what else those stools have, because these stools are well made of steel and wood. I think they are the most sturdy piece of furniture we now have! The only comment would be that the base is pretty wide, wider than the seat- so if youre trying to squeeze them into an area, these might not be the stools for you.
- How did the color on site compare with the actual product? Same
- Please tell us about the quality of the product. High
- How accurate was the on site description of the product? very
one top was broken.. but overstock replaced .. happy with product and service
- How did the color on site compare with the actual product? good
- Please tell us about the quality of the product. one broken.. but overstock replaced
- How accurate was the on site description of the product? good
I fell in luv with this barstool months ago,and it sold out before I got one.Overstock put me on the waiting list and when it was available I bought it.I use it as a small table,because the seat part is very large.I am going to purchace another one.
- How did the color on site compare with the actual product? it does not have a verdigris patina...it is black
- Please tell us about the quality of the product. built well with strong materials
- How accurate was the on site description of the product? right on
I ordered 4 of these barstools and had high hopes, based on the reviews. They arrived promptly, were well packaged and were fully assembled. The base is attractive, rustic and very solid. The turning spool mechanism works great, my kids love spinning around. And these are pretty heavy, not prone to tipping. But the wood top is really poor quality. It looked like plastic. My husband removed the tops, sanded and stained them, so that they look a little better, but now, just a few months later, 2 of the seats have split. We are pretty happy with the base, so we are going to cut new tops instead of returning them, but buyer beware. Unless you have a woodworker in the house to make you new seats, I would pass on these.
I was happy with the 2 stools I ordered. They are very "pottery barn" ish! The stool rims are a bit more rustic/rough than I would have liked but overall a very good stool.
- How did the color on site compare with the actual product? Color was as expected
- Please tell us about the quality of the product. good
- How accurate was the on site description of the product? accurate
Nice heavy barstool. Looks great in my rustic house. Very well packed. Awesome for the price, have seen them much higher priced.
- How did the color on site compare with the actual product? seems correct
- Please tell us about the quality of the product. I thought this was a good quality product
- How accurate was the on site description of the product? accuate
I love these stools! The price is quite good for the quality that you get in these industrial stools. I agree with another reviewer... I have seen similar ones priced at $250-$350. They are very sturdy and heavy. I stained the wood top and coated them with polyurethane. They look great in my kitchen. I am so happy with this purchase and with the delivery and the experience with Overstock.com!
- How did the color on site compare with the actual product? The color was very close to the product.
- Please tell us about the quality of the product. excellent
- How accurate was the on site description of the product? It was a accurate description.
when the stools arrived i found them to be much larger than expected and so the scale was all wrong for our small kitchen counter. they are very sturdy and pretty rustic....that's what i expected and they are the color i expected. the two negatives were that they were way too big in our kitchen and the wood seat was cracked. i returned the stools and have not found anything else better yet. i cannot fault overstock for the size of the stool....it's difficult to tell from a picture.
- How did the color on site compare with the actual product? pretty exact
- Please tell us about the quality of the product. the stools are totally sturdy....but the wood was cracked
- How accurate was the on site description of the product? pretty accurate
We were looking for something that fits our industrial setting yet wanted something rustic....These fit the bill to the "T". The price was fantastic too....we looked at ****, I bought 4 stools from the "O" for the price of one of theirs and much better quality I think. Now the seats are bare wood...very rustic but I didn't mind.. I sanded them down a bit a placed my own color stain on them, then a coat of poly. The are now mahogany in color and the perfect seat for my apothecary bar. I'll wait until these go on sale again to pick up a few more.
These stools go perfectly in my home.. It was exactly as pictured and very very sturdy! I don't think they will fall apart anytime soon.
- How did the color on site compare with the actual product? exactly
- Please tell us about the quality of the product. great quality, sturdy
- How accurate was the on site description of the product? very accurate
When shopping for counter stools, we were looking for something with an industrial look that wasn't completely made of cheap materials. Do not confuse these for wrought iron, they are definitely not that, however this stool definitely fits our needs. I was worried at first that they would be very light and thus cheap feeling. I was pleasantly surprised to find that the stools had some nice heft to them. Rugged enough to take a beating and various body types. Base: Didn't feel any buckling or creaking or wobbling of any sort, the stool supported weight just fine and felt very sturdy. The threaded swivel bar worked just fine, it has no give even if you raise it up super high. Each stool came with soft pads on the feet to prevent scratching which was nice. Top: The wood on the top is definitely cheap. You wouldn't know looking at them but if you tap on the top, the stool makes an almost bongo drum sound. The wood is very thin which explains why they have so many braces underneath the seat. At least they reinforced it correctly. Overall: Even though they are a bit bigger than we thought, they are still very nice stools. If you're looking for a mid range stool to hold you over for 5 years or so, these are perfect.