Bought this for a music room. First of all, received really bashed up box and couldn't imagine that anything in it could survive!! Surprisingly, it was well packed and everything was okay, except the part packed in the very middle, which should have been the most protected! It was a shelf broken in two. I called and a VERY nice woman said they'd ship me another shelf. Took about a week. The instructions are REALLY lacking. The top, the bottom and the feet are solid wood (and quite nice), the rest is pressboard and pretty fragile. Don't push too hard on anything to get it to go where you want it to! I advise laying it all out as it is to be assembled before beginning. One shelf has 3 holes in a section and you need to get it in the right order in the shelving or the holes won't match. There were a few dings here and there, and the finish scratches easily. I wouldn't pay even half of what I got this on sale for, especially considering I had to assemble it!! It looks fairly nice when finished, but still not worth what I paid. I really wish it had been all wood - better value to dollar. Well, except for the assembly part..... The size is nice, as it will fit in a small space, and still hold a lot of CDs.
It turns out shipping was more of a concern due to the weight which is REALLY heavy (I had to unpack it in my foyer and carry the pieces to the assembly location). I ordered 2 units and during the first shipment, one was so damaged in transit that it never made it to my house. I found this out by the tracking number sent to me by Overstock when one showed up and the other didn't. The first one that made it looked undamaged, but it turned out one of the pieces was. So I ended up calling the original manufactor of the unit and they ship me a new piece (free of charge) which took about 10 days to get. (Meanwhile all the other pieces were laid out on my floor waiting to be put together!!) Overstock sent me a 2nd unit at no additional cost (after I called to follow-up as to what happened) and although the package arrived damaged on the outside, all was okay on the inside this time. Allow plenty of time to put the unit together. It's easy but a little time consuming. I found it easier -- when it came time to put the backing up -- to pre-drill the holes with my drill before screwing the numerous screws in. They went in a lot effortlessly that way. The finished pieces look nice, but they should be anchored to the wall as they tilt forward a bit. Perhaps not using the included feet would help, an avenue I did not try since I have a 5" baseboard and the units won't be flat against my wall either way. I'm just keeping my fingers crossed the units will not fall over when someone roughly sorts or pulls out a DVD. Overall looks nice. Nice craftsmanship for the price. Stores a lot of DVDs. Would order again if I needed another, especially if I could drill the included anchors to the wall to make the unit sturdier.
It's a beautiful piece; lovely color and craftsmanship. It's a great way to showcase a variety of items. I have a picture frame in one shelf, some books, a decorative bowl etc. It's one flaw is that it's slightly tippy and the directions suggest adhering it to the wall to add stability. I'm very happy with this purchase.
I just recently purchased two of these. They are wonderful. The color is a little more of actual cherry wood than the picture shows. It was fairly easy to put together but I would recommend two people to do it. Once together it was just a little unsterdy, but it comes with two screws to help you anchor to the wall. Otherwise, great item and looks nice.
The DVD holder is great. Holds 260 DVDs not 280. It goes so nice with another piece of our furniture that was much more expensive. It looks like it was part of the more expensive furniture line. We did not attach it to a wall it seems sturdy enough, but we have it on a wood floor not carpeting. I love this piece, thinking about getting another one.
I have bought a fair amount of furniture from overstock and have received some very nice pieces of furniture for what I would consider a good value. I have the Axium bedroom set and it is very high quality furniture with a rich and expensive look. This piece is nothing like it. This bookshelf was fairly simple to put together and looks ok once put together, but it's just cheap looking. The vaneer shelves are obviously lower quality vaneer. The color is pretty and is darker than the picture shows. This is actually good news for me since I have a dark espresso theme going in my bedroom. It matches quite nicely. I just expected a little more solid piece for the price. When put together, the shelf is kind of wobbly. If you do choose to get this piece please note when you put it together that there are 2 sizes of cam locks. The large ones DO NOT go in the middle shelf and you will bust right through the vaneer if you attempt to do so. I learned this the hard way. Fortunately overstock customer service is great and they are sending me a replacement shelf no problem. The instructions are not very clear and it's basically a piece together by picture only. I have lots of experience of putting together furniture and these are by far the worst instructions I've come accross. If this piece were priced about half of what it is sold for, I'd recommend it. It looks ok, and will be a functional piece of furniture to hold all my media. However, the value is not there for the price.
This media storage looks like furniture. If that is your goal, this is your piece. The cherry finish is very nice. It was fairly easy to assemble. I did it by myself in about 15 minutes. It is a solid piece and I would highly recommend it to anyone.
This unit is perfect for storing DVD's. If you have lots of DVD's this unit can handle it. Only drawback is if you have any TV series or movie sets they tend to be a little big, but I found that if you lie them sideways most fit perfectly. The unit is very easy to put together took about 20 minutes with two people. I totally recommend, it looks like a nice piece of furniture rather than a particle board shelf like most media storage units.
We really love this shelf. It is very pretty and appears to be high quality - nice addition to the room. There are some issues though. The finish was nicked off the back of one of the edge pieces. Since it's up against the wall though, I used a brown sharpie to cover that up and it is no longer noticeable. There are some defects in the finish that I'm unsure of. Up close, the finish looks pretty even but when the sunlight hits it mid-day there are a couple small areas that look like shiny zigzags on the very front edges. I don't know if it was factory touch-ups or some sort of finish overage or what is causing...but it drives me a little crazy when I see that. Also, the blister pack of hardware indicated there were 10 cam-bolts and 10 cam-locks. Interestingly, there were only 4 cam-bolts included in the sealed blister pack, and then an additional 5 were just placed loose in the box. Yes, I am positive the blister pack was sealed. It was quite strange. So we had 1 missing cam-bolt but Overstock took care of that for us - their Customer Service is First Class, and always comes through when there is a problem, which is a wonderful thing. The stickers that identify the parts are really stuck on, and a pain to remove. I imagine that's because they've been there for a while though - still working on some of those but they're currently hidden anyway so not a big deal. There were / are some issues but I would still order it again because it really is that nice. Very pretty, very functional and rather unique piece of furniture. Everyone that sees it comments on how nice it is. Not 5 stars, but a very solid 4 stars. Oh, and we don't have a lot of media in it at this time. For now it is mostly family pics, books, candles, etc., and it looks beautiful... :-)
- How did the color on site compare with the actual product? Perfect - nice cherry color
- Please tell us about the quality of the product. Looks high quality but has some defects in the finish
- How accurate was the on site description of the product? Very accurate description
We are very happy with the piece in general. The color is attractive and the quality is very respectable for the price. The piece is solid, but not very stable so anchoring it to the wall is key if you have children playing near it. Unfortunately, the only thing that comes with it to anchor it are a couple wood screws but that would require it to be flush against the wall - difficult if you have a baseboard more than 2-1/2" high or so. I used a kit from a different piece of furniture that involves screwing a bracket to the piece and another bracket to a stud and connecting them with a zip tie - it's very secure now. We had one damaged part on arrival but it was quickly replaced with very little hassle. My biggest complaint is that the unit came packed in hundreds of little plastic beads instead of the usual Styrofoam, cardboard, etc.
- How did the color on site compare with the actual product? Color representation was excellent
- Please tell us about the quality of the product. Average quality for assemble-it-yourself furniture
- How accurate was the on site description of the product? Very accurate
I do like the color and finish of the shelves, and it is made out of sturdy, heavy duty wood. One of the main boards was cracked upon arrival, but I still was able to put it together. It is definitely a two-person job since the entire package weighs 70 lbs., or unless you want to use your own strength to put it together.
- How did the color on site compare with the actual product? it was right on.
- Please tell us about the quality of the product. A main board was cracked all the before I put it together, and I unfortunately didn't notice it until I assembled the entire thing, so I didn't return it. It is also a little wobblely, and I made sure I put it together correctly.
- How accurate was the on site description of the product? Eh, I understand that it was a media shelf for dvds and cds, but it also said that it was able to fit books as well. It does not, because the cubes are too small for average-sized books.
The wood was rough and poorly painted. 2 of the components arrived broken, and 1 component was drilled badly so the provided screws could not fit. Going to send this furniture back. Not recommended.
- How did the color on site compare with the actual product? Same
- Please tell us about the quality of the product. Poor
- How accurate was the on site description of the product? Same
I bought one of these about four years ago. When I filled it up, I went looking to get another, but they weren't available for a little while. After a few months I was pleasantly surprised to see that they were back on Overstock, so I ordered another. The price was less than the first one I bought, but the quality was just as good. It takes a while to put them together, but I get lots of compliments on them and I love them. Highly recommend!
- How did the color on site compare with the actual product? Just as represented.
- Please tell us about the quality of the product. All wood as described and very good quality workmanship.
- How accurate was the on site description of the product? Very accurate.
Pieces were chipped. Was unable to assemble the product. Holes did not line up, directions were confusing. After 2 hours of frustration, I threw it into the trash. It was not worth another minute of my time to take apart what I had assembled and repack it for a return. An expensive but well learned lesson.
- How did the color on site compare with the actual product? Good
- Please tell us about the quality of the product. Poor
- How accurate was the on site description of the product? Decent
Picture is very deceiving, I expected a larger unit that is more sturdy and you don't have to bolt to the wall just keep it from tilting over. The color is accurate, but the backing is that cheap cardboard stuff. Not worth the $XXX it was advertised for.
- How did the color on site compare with the actual product? Accurate
- Please tell us about the quality of the product. Expected a higher quality, disappointed
- How accurate was the on site description of the product? Better read the full description and measurements before buying
It was easy to assemble (for my husband) and it was just what we expected. We are happy with our choice.
- How did the color on site compare with the actual product? The color matched the description
- Please tell us about the quality of the product. good quality
- How accurate was the on site description of the product? the description was accurate
I liked the first one so much I bought a second one.. Took my husband and me about 20 minutes to assemble. Was easy.. All parts were ther and when delievered NO DAMAGE.. boxes were tore up from UPS.. But this was well package so nothing inside was damaged..Great product
- How did the color on site compare with the actual product? yes
- Please tell us about the quality of the product. great
- How accurate was the on site description of the product? great
I found this to be an easy shelf to put together, and it is very attractive. It seems sturdy and my DVD's fit in there well. A very good purchase.
- How did the color on site compare with the actual product? Almost identical.
- Please tell us about the quality of the product. Seems to be of great quality.
- How accurate was the on site description of the product? Very accurate.
Bullet points... *It took two of us to carry this product upstairs (thankfully the UPS carrier helped me get it in the house!). *The packaging outside looked like the shelving unit could be demolished on the inside, but overall it was in good shape. *Our only "problem" was a (one of the eight) missing CAMbolt, but O shipped a set of eight out to us within a few days of using the "chat" function in the customer service center (and, we were able to put the shelving unit together until it arrived). *The cherry is dark and rich. It's a beautiful product. *The shelving unit looked smaller in reality than we expected base on the picture (admittedly, we didn't look at the measurements and such beforehand) *It holds our CDs (about 10 per shelf if the CDs are in single, original cases), except those that are in sets that are the size of DVD cases. *The feet really add a touch of class to this piece. I'd say overall, we really love this piece. We almost ordered something similar from another site because it was listed as less pricey, but we're so happy with this piece. We would recommend buying it.
- How did the color on site compare with the actual product? The color is very similar to picture.
- Please tell us about the quality of the product. The top and bottom seem to be quality wood; the shelves seem to be mdf; and the backing is not cardboard. Overall, I'd say this piece will last several years with care.
- How accurate was the on site description of the product? The description was very similar
I love this unit. it is a great addition to my living room
- How did the color on site compare with the actual product? excellent
- Please tell us about the quality of the product. very good quality
- How accurate was the on site description of the product? excellent