I'm a finish carpenter. So I'm not a big fan of the cam lock assembly for furniture. I use plenty of wood glue on the dowels, the cams keep it together while the glue dries. Keep a wet wash cloth handy for drips, you must have a rubber mallet handy. The cams should pull the joint tight. They will break, so use the mallet to get get a tight fit before cranking on the cams. Once you start you must finish the shell before all your glue dries. Making it a two day project would be a mistake. Same with the drawers, glue the dowels, use your mallet and use the cams to keep it taught for the glue to dry. I check each assembly section to make sure I have the parts and that it fits before adding the glue. Every joint should have plenty of glue. If not the first time you try to move piece the cams will pull out of the particle board. I like mine to last longer than that.
I ordered this and the bello seven drawer chest. My major complaint is that the color didnt match the picture. The chest I rcvd was a much darker, almost black, wood...not the warmer wood suggested by the picture. In addition, this is not "some assembly required"...this is "all asembly required"... the drawers, the front, the back, etc. This is very much like Ikea furniture that you need to assemble by hand. This project took me over 5 hours to assemble. In part because its very difficult to maintain 90 degree angles with a structure this tall. The drawer sides split when I screwed the roller rails into them. Before you purchase, figure out the value of your time and then incorporate that into the price. But the chest looks nice and the exposed wood is hardwood, not laminate.
Okay, I admit to being concerned about assembling this piece of furniture. I loved the style and I admit that I went to many furniture stores looking for something like it that I could afford. I found similar but they were all expensive, close to if not over a thousand dollars. We have done much "assemble your own furniture" over the years but general it's the occasional end table, tv stand or bookcase. This project was big, the unit pricy if we messed it up and to be honest all the warnings had me a little intimidate. So when confronted with spending more than I wanted or getting particle board furniture I bit my lip and ordered the chest of drawers. I admit that I am a true fan of rubberwood, I love the fact that it is ecologically friendly. Heeding all the advice posted by people who had been been where I was was the smartest thing I could have done. So follow the advice of those that tell you to get an cordless screwdriver (much better than a drill), a good rubber mallet, a building partner and enough floor space to lay out the parts. Everything came in good condition, no chips cracks or anything like that. It took my husband (he'll be 84 on November) and me (I just turned 60) about 6 hours including the time that we spent reading, counting, and getting ready to assemble. I found the directions better than most, certainly not perfect but pretty good. We took our time, if something wasn't registering, we went and got a sip of ice tea and reread the directions. Bottom line, It is a beautiful piece of furniture that anyone would be proud to have in their home with above average storage space. And LOL it's prettier than any of the ones I could have purchased from a local stores or even online.
This chest is" assemble it yourself" furniture. It comes in many, many pieces. The material is "medium density fiberboard" (mdf). The front panels of the dresser drawers are finger joiced. It took my contractor/carpenter about 4 hours to construct. Each of the drawer panels had a scratch mark running down the left side. After the scratches were removed and the drawers installed the chest looks ok, but it isn't what I expected. I would not recommend this product to anyone.
Best to be put together with another person. It could have better directions, larger images for the details to be seen clearer as it is important, especially the drawer slots, you have to really pay attention to make sure you have them in the order front to back, I had to end up doing them 3 times, rather confusing, for me anyway. Also we found that the directions where wrong on the cross beams for the draws, we followed the diagram and realized that you have to make sure the "finished" side is facing out, the diagram ended up with them backwards, so beware. Other than this we love it, very beautiful and doesn't look cheap at all. No particle board and very very solid, we have another set of drawers that we paid a high price for and looking at them you can't tell the difference, the high price one does have dovetail corners and dust sheets in but that's about the only difference. I would highly recommend this set of furniture we are very happy with it, and glad we didn't have to go the high price route.
- How did the color on site compare with the actual product? Pretty much the same, surprisingly
- Please tell us about the quality of the product. High, nothing flimsy about it.
- How accurate was the on site description of the product? Great
Excellent value for the price. Assembly was a bit complicated (and one of the instructions contained an error), but if you are not daunted by three boxes of parts (approximately 70 lbs each) then I'd definitely recommend this. Delivery was quick.
I have the whole set, I love this chest...the height is great and the drawers are deep and wide, in other words...it holds a LOT! Everyone that sees it thinks I bought it from a local high end contemporary furniture store. Very pleased. Of course my son put mine together for me. But, he didn't seem to have any problems. I have had this set now for almost five years and it still looks brand new...
- How did the color on site compare with the actual product? same
- Please tell us about the quality of the product. great quality
- How accurate was the on site description of the product? accurate
AFter having spent many years assembling various pieces of furniture from Ikea, I figured this would be easy enough. I couldn't have been more wrong. It took an entire day and 3 people to assemble this item. YOu need various tools including various screwdriver sizes. As per usual with self assemble products, the wooden dowels are misshapen, splitered and don't fit into the holes, thus cracking the wood around the edge of the hole. Many of the pieces were scratched or marked as soon as I took them out of the box. In hindsight I wish I'd spent an extra $300-400 to get a pre-assembled quality piece of furniture. THis was a massive disappointment.
- How did the color on site compare with the actual product? Similar
- Please tell us about the quality of the product. Average quality
- How accurate was the on site description of the product? Fairly accurate
What can I say? I'm not going to write a novel about it. The dresser is awesome! It's not hardwood, thus the price, but it is of SOLID construction. This baby is a tank. And it only took about 3-4 hours to put together (WITH power drill). Buyers should note that if you think you're going to put this thing together with a screwdriver, you're nuts. Overall, I love it!! It's probably one of the nicest dressers I've ever owned personally, and the price is right. Highly recommend it.
- How did the color on site compare with the actual product? The color on the website was lighter, but mentioned it was cherrywood so I figured it would be as described (cherrywood)
- Please tell us about the quality of the product. SOLID construction. Very good product!!
- How accurate was the on site description of the product? Perfect!
Great piece of furniture for the price, study & heavy. Assembly isn't bad if you take your time and follow the direction. We are thinking of purchasing companion pieces.
- How did the color on site compare with the actual product? very close
- Please tell us about the quality of the product. Good quality
- How accurate was the on site description of the product? Very accurate
I had purchased an entire bedroom suite of this Bello walnut design several years ago and have been very happy with it. Have a larger bedroom now so happy to see this 6 drawer come back in stock. Now have 2 of these, 2 end tables, 1 7 drawer and 1 lingerie chest. Not difficult to put together but takes a little while and 2 pair of hands help. It arrives in 3 boxes. Solid wood, beautiful finish and elegant design. We are very happy w/the finished look of the bedroom - goes well w/our mission style wood headboard and foot-board.
- How did the color on site compare with the actual product? spot on
- Please tell us about the quality of the product. solid, fine craftmanship, smooth drawers
- How accurate was the on site description of the product? matched description perfectly
Our new house has a master bedroom that is almost embarrassingly large. And you will need on for this furniture, check the stats, it is HUGE! But the quality is better than I expected. Very heavy, quite attractive but, seriously, it's BIG furniture.
- How did the color on site compare with the actual product? True to color
- Please tell us about the quality of the product. Very good
- How accurate was the on site description of the product? Accurate
It arrived in 3 boxes. Should have been a clue of how long this was going to take to assemble. It really was a chore. The color and design are very nice. For the price this is a very good piece. The drawers seem like they will be trouble later on but I think that as long as the install screws are flush it will do the trick. It is a large chest with deep drawers and stores a ton of clothes. I recommend this chest if you are on a budget. Just be ready to spend a few assembly hours in return, Get yourself a drill.
- How did the color on site compare with the actual product? Same
- Please tell us about the quality of the product. Had crack on side of panel
- How accurate was the on site description of the product? Accurate
This chest will take you at least 3+ hrs. to assemble, it can be assembled by your self with care. A screw gun is a must. Take your time and it will go together quickly.( Tip use the empty boxes as a working platform to get the parts off the floor and save your back.) The item was very well packed.
- How did the color on site compare with the actual product? Good
- Please tell us about the quality of the product. Above adverage
- How accurate was the on site description of the product? Good
Just be careful putting this thing together. You only have a diagram to work with. And I discovered late in the game that I had put all the drawer rails on upside and down. Luckily I was able to fix it. One of the pieces arrived broken and Overstock was very quick to replace it. I'm very happy with their customer service.
- Please tell us about the quality of the product. Very sturdy.
Pretty, but not functional. Will not hold up for even a years use so not worth the money or the shipping and wait. Wish I had not purchase it but it's too big a deal to send it back. B2
- How did the color on site compare with the actual product? Colour is very good and looked like the web photo on my mac
- Please tell us about the quality of the product. Quality on the face of it, was good, but the drawers do not move well and eventually are not useable
- How accurate was the on site description of the product? Good description, but disappointed in the quality of the drawer mechanism
This dresser was not only difficult to put together but had mix-matched holes for the handles which caused much distress to my husband. The top drawers are off and one of the pieces of wood for the middle drawer is so warped that the drawer rubs against it when you open and close it. All in all I would not recommend this dresser to anyone. If I could get my husband to take it apart I would send it back for a refund.
- How did the color on site compare with the actual product? Yes
- Please tell us about the quality of the product. Poor