I received my wok today as my other one was lost long ago. This is even better than my former wok at a great price. In another review a patron mentioned the petrolium product that you have to wash off. I am jeweler and know that carbon steel must have some kind of oil to prevent rusting after production. The product will rust without this protection - which is another reason for seasoning it when you receive it. I also always hand dry my stainless steel and don't let it air dry. As manufacturers are not likely to use a jewelers wax or a minwax (which you wouldn't want to cook with either, even though it smells better) it will arrive with a petrolium odor. Simply wash the pan with warm soap and water several times and season the pan. I cannot wait to break out my wok recipes! I'm going to get two more for my kids for Christmas!
purpose of purchase was to refrain from using non-stick. the wok is strong and conducts heat well, just appears 'unfinished'.
- How did the color on site compare with the actual product? steel not as smooth as photo
- Please tell us about the quality of the product. large capacity such as restaurant wok
- How accurate was the on site description of the product? very
I make stir-frys all the time and had a nonstick wok previous but as it was beginning to peel away, I was in need of a new one. A carbon stell flat bottom is the best to get. Recieved very fast and was wrapped in plastic with oil as expected (any good one will arrive this way so that it doesn't rust) You can clean with soap and water the first time only-after that simply wipe clean and the flavor will continue to develop (kind of treat it like a cast iron pan). Season before first use with peanut oil, fresh garlic, fresh ginger, and chives. Don't put any acids such as juices or vinegar in your stir fry sauce the first few uses as it will take away some if the oil. Carbon steel can be oil hungry the first few time so keep that in mind. I have used this probably ten times now and the flavor it produces in my stir fry is amazing! I have already reccommended this to firends and family!
Really nice wok, made very strong, and thick metal construction. Perfect size for gas cook stove top for cooking large portions at one time. I haven't cooked with it yet, I still have to season it first. I can't wait til I try it out, it's going to be FUN!!
This wok is huge and good for making large quantities of stir fry.
- How did the color on site compare with the actual product? fine
- Please tell us about the quality of the product. good quality
- How accurate was the on site description of the product? very accurate
We've wanted a wok (without nonstick surface) for the cooktop for a while. After shopping around for a while and pricing them, I just happened to look at Overstock. We've been pleased with everything we've purchased from Overstock in the past , so we decided to try the wok. We were pleasantly surprised. The wok is very large, heavy duty, cooks well, and is easy to clean...at a great price!
- How did the color on site compare with the actual product? Accurate - stainless steel
- Please tell us about the quality of the product. The wok is very good quality. It's heavy duty and food (even grains) did not stick.
- How accurate was the on site description of the product? Very accurate
The wok is a really good quality. You do have to season it, which you have to do with any carbon steel pan.
- How did the color on site compare with the actual product? good
- Please tell us about the quality of the product. good
- How accurate was the on site description of the product? good