We own lots of different cast iron cookware from 3 different manufacturers. We are not cast iron experts, but we are experienced cast iron customers. This pot is poorly made. It seems as though it was cast in a very crude mold and it was not finished afterwards. It has rough seams that could cut a finger and the flat sides of the pot feel too rough. The metal does not even seem to be the same as that used on our other cookware. To make matters worse this pot is NOT seasoned at all. Read again, it is not pre-seasoned as the description said in January 2012. The pot even comes with instructions on how to season the pot. However, the worst of all is that the pot is covered in some strange finish that the seasoning instructions claim to be paraffin, but I can tell you that it must also be something else. Even though I scrubbed the pot a lot in scalding hot water before I started the seasoning process the pot still gave off terrible sickening fumes during the seasoning int he oven. I am not talking about the smell of burning cooking oil. I am talking about fumes that you could not see, no smoke, that made you dizzy and forced us to open the windows on a winter night and go to bed early with headaches and pain pain. Stay away from this pot. It is a disaster in everway. In fact, I am staying away from the "Bayou Classic" brand completely. Don't waste your time or threaten your health.
- How did the color on site compare with the actual product? Yes
- Please tell us about the quality of the product. Poorly casted and finished, rough edges, not seasoned, covered in toxic finish
- How accurate was the on site description of the product? NOT Accurate At All
There is a bit of sharp flash on the outer edge of the top of the pot but all in all this is a quality, heavy pot that I am sure will last a few lifetimes. It is pre-seasoned, but I never trust pre-seasoning. Very happy with my purchase and even happier that I get to throw out all my medium sized scratched up Teflon pots.
- How did the color on site compare with the actual product? The color is exactly as pictured.
- Please tell us about the quality of the product. Great quality.
- How accurate was the on site description of the product? Site description was accurate.
I was kind of wary about the arrival of my pan, as I had bought Bayu Classic before from Overstock, only to find that the skillet I had purchased had a large crack in it from poor manufacturing. However I pleasantly surprised to see that my pan was in excellent condition and just as advertised on the site. It's a perfect size to do all kinds of cooking, even deep enough to do a batch of Stewed Apples!! I'm extremely happy with the quality, not only of the product itself but with the overall service from Overstock.
- How did the color on site compare with the actual product? Spot on!
- Please tell us about the quality of the product. Solid and durable
- How accurate was the on site description of the product? Extremely accurate