I needed a large pot for brewing 5 gallon batches of beer. This was just the ticket. I used it with a Bayou Classic Patio Stove. It worked great. Nice even heat. It has a great thick bottom. I used Revere ware cleaner to get some scorching off the bottom. It washed right up after use. No rust anywhere.
USE: The pot is big. If you arent good at visualizing, then use a tape measure so you know what you are getting into. I can fit nearly all my other kitchen pots in this one (ala Russian doll nesting). That said, I love this thing. It is ideal for home brewing operations for several reasons: 1) It is big. At over 8.5 US gal, this tank will let you boil an entire five-gallon batch of wort at one time, without having to dilute into the fermenter. This allows for what many purists believe to be increased potential for truer flavor. Boiling more (and therefore less concentrated) wort allows for greater hops utilization, leaving you more freedom to create quality bitter beers. In other words, there is more available water per volume to dissolve the same amount of malt- and therefore more room for the wort to accept the vital hops oils during the boil. 2) It is big. This means you simply have a lesser chance of boiling-over. This pot gives you a higher ceiling for those same five gallons. Hit that hot break and avoid a sticky mess. 3) Steel is superior to aluminum in both durability and potential off-flavors. 4) Did I mention that its big? With a gas range, I had no problem bringing a full pot to boil. You know why? Because I actually cover two of my four burners with the base of this thing. QUALITY NOTES: This stockpot is made of quality materials. The handle can often be a short point with other pots in this size and price range, so I was pleased to see the workmanship on this one; it is very solid. I had read other reviews regarding the weld apparent inside the pot near the bottom. It is indeed difficult to notice and I can confirm that this minor aesthetic has no bearing on performance. The walls of the pot are not the thickest, as you may find on smaller deluxe pots (as I use to more culinary ends). However, if it were thicker, it would be extremely heavy. Count this as a blessing when you have 45lbs of scalding wort to transport across your linoleum floor. The lid may appear a bit thin, but I believe this is because of its diameter relative to its thickness. Mine fits greats and doesnt complain. FINAL: I did thorough research before purchasing this unit. For your money, there doesnt appear to be a better value for home-brewers out there. I am going to try canning this fall as well. I just had to pick up a wire rack to suspend jars off the bottom. Cheers!
- How did the color on site compare with the actual product? Very well
- Please tell us about the quality of the product. Good quality. The metal is not extremely thick, but by no means does it appear cheap or insufficient. In fact, this seems to appropriately save weight.
- How accurate was the on site description of the product? Spot on!
I have been looking for a nice pot to brew beer in as well as being able to cook some various foods for a large QTY of people. Just right for the brewing of beer. Good for all grain method or with Extract. A friend watched and now he is going to get one as well. You should look at the pot size and the size of the burner to make sure it fits good.
I bought this for my daughters boyfriend who is using it to brew beer. It is perfect and at least $20 less than anywhere else I looked. It is hard to find one this size as most are just 5 gallons then things are spilling everywhere. Instead of being taller, it is wider so has more area that gets heated faster. Would also be great for cooking crab - would recommend it for any large cooking project - another great find at overstock!
This item was exactly what I expected. No problems so far. If you're looking for an inexpensive stainless pot then you really can't beat it.
- How did the color on site compare with the actual product? Close
- Please tell us about the quality of the product. Seems to be of good quality. Have had no problems
- How accurate was the on site description of the product? The description was fairly accurate. Just remember it's a wide pot and not very tall.
Very good quality for the price. Pleased with the purchase.
- How did the color on site compare with the actual product? same
- Please tell us about the quality of the product. very good
- How accurate was the on site description of the product? very good
Down south we are always giving a gathering, sea food boils, and parties. This 35-quart stainlee seel pot is perfect to cook in. We love to eat and cook down south. No small pot will do here in New Orleans. Almost every home owns a 35-quart or bigger pot. It is just natural to own one.
- How did the color on site compare with the actual product? Exactly
- Please tell us about the quality of the product. Made of steel, easy to handle and a lid perfect fit. Now only if I had something to use to stir the food in the 35-quart Stainless Steel Stock Pot.
- How accurate was the on site description of the product? Perfect
I purchased this pot in order to make 5 gallon BIAB batches on my gas stove top. The pot is wide enough that I can set it across both eyes. I was amazed that I was actually able to bring the batch to a boil in half the time it took using my 20 qt pot on a single burner. Heavy duty pot that is sturdy. Would buy again