Sign up today and activate a
Words can only barely express how much I love fall. Brisk mornings, crunchy leaves, scents of pumpkin spice, and, best of all, Halloween: It's a time I look forward to year-round. Even more exciting, though, is the moment I get to box up my summer clothes and pull out the autumn wardrobe of cozy sweaters, ribbed scarves, and leather boots; there's nothing quite like fall fashion! If you're like me, you'll use any excuse to snag a few updates for your fall wardrobe. Here, I've compiled some of the top trends of the season, with a few suggestions on how to make them work year-after-year.
Fall Fashion Must-Haves:
1. Leather accents: Thrown on over a classic T-shirt and pair of jeans, a leather jacket can effortlessly turn a casual outfit into a study on style. But leather isn't just for jackets anymore. Pair some smooth leather pants with soft cashmere or a waffle-knit sweater for a great mix of texture. Leather accents are also a huge trend for fall. Leather sleeves, appliques, and tuxedo stripes on pants are all an easy, and less expensive, way to incorporate a bit of leather into your wardrobe. These moto-inspired pants from Walter Nicole are a good introduction to the trend. There are also many faux leather styles available to satisfy every budget and conscience.
2. Oxblood: The word may sound menacing, but the rich burgundy color called "oxblood" is everywhere this season -- and it's also versatile enough to mix with many of your fall staples. A deep red sweater could be paired with everything from jeans to sleek black pencil skirts, while a rich burgundy pair of jeans, like these from Romeo & Juliet Couture, would make a fashion-forward statement with a slouchy grey tee and black blazer. If you're daring, go monochromatic and dress in oxblood from top to bottom; it's a sophisticated color that can look as classic as black.
3. Chunky knits: No woman should be without a neutral, chunky knit sweater in her wardrobe this fall. It's the perfect transitional piece; throw it on over a T-shirt to take the edge off chilly mornings or layer it over warmer pieces when the temperature dips. A chunky knit doesn't have to be bulky, however. It's easy to find options with curved hems and fitted sleeves to make the look more feminine. With a draped hem and ribbed cuffs, this grey open-knit sweater from Walter Wendy fits the bill.
4. Cap toe flats: This season, the supremely feminine ballet flat has been stylishly updated with cap toes. You can't go wrong with a black flat tipped in beige or ivory, but you can also have some more fun with the trend. Go menswear-inspired with a tweed flat and a solid black toe, or go bold with a printed flat capped in neon or silver. This classic leather pair from Ellen Tracy would be the perfect stylish addition to to your workday or weekend errands.
5. Peplum hems: The subtle skirted effect of a peplum hem lends an air of sophistication to any ensemble. It also offers easy, instant shape that is flattering on almost every body type. A cap-sleeve peplum blouse works with everything from pencil skirts and board meetings to cocktail hour and skinny jeans. Choose a top in a classic color, like this black matte jersey top from Maggie Ward, for an elegant, no-risk way to test the trend.
6. Houndstooth: Step aside, leopard print -- houndstooth is making a comeback. Both classic and modern, houndstooth dominated the runways and street-style snapshots of New York Fashion Week. Luckily, it's an easy trend to incorporate into your fall wardrobe. The print looks great on cold-weather staples, like this fully-lined funnel neck jacket from For Cynthia. You can also find the print in bright, prismatic colors and larger prints; try either on a silk button-down blouse, also a huge trend for fall.
7. Black ankle boots: A classic black ankle boot is an absolute wardrobe essential this season. Chic and versatile, they look equally stylish with dresses and skirts or cuffed jeans or trousers. Opt for a flat silhouette if your days are full of walking. A wedge can also be a comfortable option. Otherwise, aim higher! A heel above two inches will make any ensemble look incredibly streamlined and chic. With edgy buckles and a high heel anchored by a comfortable wedge, this pair from Joie has it all.
8. Collar necklaces: Want to dress up a simple dress or T-shirt and jeans ensemble? Try a collar necklace, this season's biggest jewelry trend. These glitzy pieces come in every shape and style, from sleek goldtone Peter Pan-style necklaces to a beaded tuxedo collar. A mix of bronze, silver, and glistening stones, this handmade collar necklace is versatile enough to light up any ensemble. Either way, it's a major style statement.
9. Top-handle satchel: Of course, style can extend beyond clothing and jewelry. This season, the latest handbag styles are all about minimalist shapes with bold details and bright color. In a fall-appropriate mustard hue, this Chloe satchel is the perfect mix of elegant and fashion-forward.
Posted by Jen Gustavson
Shop Overstock™ and find the best online deals on everything for your home and your family. We work every day to bring you discounts on new products across our entire store. Whether you're looking for memorable gifts or everyday essentials, you can buy them here for less. Not just anyone’s mobile outlet, your mobile outlet.O.com ® Ethical Pricepoints ™