I tried this for a noon meal. It tasted great. I added more water and some tomatoe powder to it. The only thing I would recommend is to cook it for a longer time, or at least soak it before starting to cook. Some of the veggies take a little longer to hydrate. That is why I needed to add more water. It's also great if you add some leftover meat to it, just realize whenever you add something else, add the same amount of water.
I work at a church. We purchased this for the big soup kitchen we help with. The soup was very mushy and unappetizing. Our volunteers added a number of ingredients to try to boost its appeal and flavor and called it gumbo and then called to ask me to never order it again.
Very, very salty, cannot use because of low salt food restriction.
- How did the image on site compare with the actual product? Same
- How accurate was the on site description of the product? Same
- Please tell us about the quality of the product. Not as expected
I believe it will be an excellent product to have on hand during hurricane season in the SE. Since the shelf life is long, if it is not used this year, it can be on hand for next year.
- How did the image on site compare with the actual product? Have not opened it as this was bought for hurricane season in the SE.
- How accurate was the on site description of the product? Right on.
- Please tell us about the quality of the product. Have not opened and used it but the shelf life is amazing.
Well, I haven't tried this yet, but I have two cans which arrived dented. I didn't go through the trouble of sending them back, so I will be eatting those and not putting them in storage. This shipment of three cans, arrived undented. Most of the cans I ordered, were delivered in perfect condition but a few were dented; so I seperated those and am going to use them this year. The manufacturing date is recent, so I have a year to use those. I ordered a lot of food , so a few dented cans are not much trouble.
- How did the image on site compare with the actual product? Actual
- How accurate was the on site description of the product? Actual
- Please tell us about the quality of the product. Looks good.
Decided to try but just plain stew blend didn't sound like enough so I followed the receipe on the side of the can with some modification. I put the items that reciepe called for plus a can of corn, a can of diced tomatoes, and a jar of spagette sauce. Also a scoop of diced garlic. For seasoning I added some herb seasoning and twelve beef bulion cubes. Simmered for half an hour. That tasted pretty good but it seemed like it was missing something. So I browned a pound and half of grown beef. That did it. Was simply delicious. But to add just a bit more taste I added some hot sauce. Then it was good beyond description. A bowl of this mix was a meal by itself. Don't be afraid to experiment some. The basic stew mix is okay by itself but all the other additions made it wonderful.