I just got it and tested with some shots. I would say that for the price I paid, this is still of a pretty good value. But if your want "National Geography" quality image, this is definitely not a right one for you. Operation is not very easy, especially when I use the doubler to make it 1000mm. Manual focusing is OK to me, but it is super sensitive to any vibration even though I already put it on tripod. I had to use remote shutter control to shoot. So getting a high quality picture is not easy with this lens. I was able to get a couple of pretty good pictures of a house roof, with couple of air vents, from about 0.5 mile away. But again it is nowhere close to top quality.
- How did the image on site compare with the actual product? They match
- Was the product free of any manufacturer defects? Yea and no. The lens is good, so is the doubler, but the T-mount was not well assembled. I had to fix it by myself.
- Please tell us about the quality of the product. Overall it is an OK product for the price
This lens is surprisingly good. The way it does blur is unique, unlike the typical camera lens since there's mirrors involved. I got a close up shot of a baseball player spitting tobacco. I was in the bleachers. Very hard to use without a fluid head tripod and decent lighting. The very shallow depth of field also must be taken into account, very paper thin. But I'd say this is totally worth it. Buy it before everyone else notices how awesome it is and starts driving sales up with the demand surge.
- How did the image on site compare with the actual product? Exactly as listed, other than the magnification tube.
- Was the product free of any manufacturer defects? No defects.
- Please tell us about the quality of the product. Nothing rickety, lens is clean, numbers painted on, good quality rubber grip.
By far not the best lens but I have had a lot of fun with it. It really shines when used for video. In good lightening one can use it at the zoo or at the local lake. I love the Donut Bokeh. As any mirror lens you may want to use some post processing for contrast and color. If you are looking for performance of a *** or more lens then forget it. Also buying a cheap lens hood is recommended as well. If you want a lightweight fun lens-you could do worse than this lens. For the money it gets 5 stars
I got this lens for some up close shooting in the area that I live in, I must say it does reach out and gets the photos that you do desire to have. My friend who seen the lens just placed a order for the lens last evening, now it is the waiting game to have it in her hands for the shooting that she is going to be able to get done.