We use theses items on a regular basis for Home AV installations and have had no problems with the at all.
- How did the image on site compare with the actual product? Totally acurate
- Was the product free of any manufacturer defects? yes
- Please tell us about the quality of the product. Good quality and reliable
After lengthy research, I fully expected this product to reliably convert the digital audio output from my HD flat screen TV to analog audio for connection to my traditional stereo system. The hope was to listen to TV programs on the great stereo speakers I've enjoyed for years, thereby avoiding the cost of buying a soundbar system. To my great disappointment, the audio from the TV would invariably cut out on erratic intervals, lasting anywhere from four to twelve seconds. Further to my poor experience with this product is that I had no control of volume or mute from the TV's remote. I had no faith that another unit would do any better. So I just returned it for a refund.
The staff at the high end audio store where I recently purchased my Yamaha receiver recommended the Gefen brand digital-to-audio converter. I went shopping online but after reading reader reviews I hesitated to purchase this "Audio Decoder" as a significant minority of reviews for this and similar products say they don't work, sometimes naming specific equipment they don't work with. So I emailed the manufacturer (Samsung) to ask what would be needed to permit me to get sound from my new Samsung Smart TV to my new Yamaha (non home stereo) Receiver, which lacks the necessary video HD connection and has only the RCA type analog red and white plugs for incoming audio. They said the lesser expensive Gefen product I was looking at wouldn't be effective and recommended this one so I went ahead and purchased it. And thank goodness it does the trick. I had to purchase the special HD cable to connect the TV to the decoder, then used the separate analog cables to connect the decoder to my receiver and get good sound from TV stations and any other application I'm watching on my TV (DVDs) through my stereo speakers. Have had it only about two weeks so can't comment on how long it will last, but hopefully that will be a long time and this product is doing it's job just fine.
- How did the image on site compare with the actual product? Right on.
- Was the product free of any manufacturer defects? Yes, so far!
- Please tell us about the quality of the product. Does what it says it will do.
The product works as it was advertised. Perfect sound from optical to analog for my older Bose home theater system. The dolby feature on the box is exactly what is needed for perfect surround sound and this is the only device I could find that delivers the solution in coverting optical to analog. Product was delivered promptly and seamlessly!
- How did the image on site compare with the actual product? Perfect
- Was the product free of any manufacturer defects? Yes
- Please tell us about the quality of the product. I purchased this to connect my Bose home theater system directly to my new Panasonic TV since the new flat screen only had an optical output