Given the price on this item, I think it should be more subsantial than it is. The entire thing is made of relatively cheap plastic. When taking up yard from the swift, Sometimes the yarn will catch on the spokes of the swift and when it does, the winder feels like it is going to break. The gears must also be plastic. The yarn ball doesn't stay on very well, either. You have to hold the yarn tight with one hand while cranking with the other. It's better than nothing, but that's about it. I can't believe I bought two of them - the first one broke in no time and I didn't want to wait to get the problem resolved so I bought another one, which was a mistake.
I was quite torn about buying one of these. I can easily wind a center pull ball by hand. My problem was in finding someone, or something, to act as a swift. Since I was given money to spend on myself for Christmas, I decided to order a swift AND the yarn baller. After all, I was purchasing it as a GIFT. It's not wrapped yet, I can't stop using it! It makes "cakes" that don't roll around, pull easily from center or outside (your choice) and store neatly. I even used it to wind two different yarns together for a two strand project. No tangling while knitting! The baller is well made and quite durable. The only drawbacks I've found is that it won't handle a very large ball or a large amount of bulky yarn. You CAN make smaller balls or finish winding those by hand. It also needs a squared table edge to attach to. Most of mine are rounded, or too thick for the clamp but something like a TV table works beautifully. If you're thinking you might enjoy one of these, you WILL!
I love this winder! It's just what I was looking for and I am so happy I spent the money for the wood. No more standing behind a chair winding by hand anymore! It was easy to set up and the yarn was wound in a jiffy.
- How did the image on site compare with the actual product? Just as pictured
- How accurate was the on site description of the product? Just as described
- Please tell us about the quality of the product. Great
After years of borrowing a winder, I finally bought one for myself. To save a little money & get free shipping, I ordered from Overstock. Arrived on time & I put it use the same day.
- How did the image on site compare with the actual product? Excellent
- How accurate was the on site description of the product? Excellent
I was surprised that this winder can make a giant ball of yarn. Some other brands have more limited yardage capacity.
- How did the image on site compare with the actual product? Accurate.
- How accurate was the on site description of the product? Very accurate description.
- Please tell us about the quality of the product. I like the adjustable clamp.
Great product. Winds your yarn nice and tight, whereas the twice as expensive electric one does not! LOVE IT!
- Did the image onsite match the product? Yes
- Did the description onsite accurately describe the product? yes
- How is the quality of the product? great