The problem with lower-end dress forms such as this is that they are ALL priced way beyond what they are worth because there's nothing else like them, and two or three companies have the market to themselves. It's supply and demand. So I can't write a review that says this dress form is worth more than $25 because none of them are in this price range! I gave it five stars because for what it is, it is the best, and it's not at fault (nor is Overstock) for the dressform market being so widely skewed. However, that said, this dressform is what it is supposed to be. I wanted a middle-aged shaped form, and this is it -- the bust is set lower than it would be for a younger or slimmer figure. I already knew the plastic dials and adjustments would be fiddly, so I've had no problems there just because I knew to be careful and not to expect too much. In addition, I've taken the extra steps of padding her out with cotton/poly batting to customize her to my figure and adding a layer of muslin under a lycra cover, so that along takes care of a number of issues: shedding little red hairs, pinning in the gaps, pinning in odd or hard to reach places, and the inability of the built in adjustments to really get close enough to my pear shape. The stand is metal and seems sturdy enough, and there's a hem marking thingy on it as well, so all in all I'm pleased with it. I'm glad I chose the one I did -- this is probably one of the better ones in the lower price ranges -- and of course the Overstock price was *fantastic* compared to, say, Joann's (plus free shipping!) so I'm really as happy as I'm going to be with it, and not disappointed. I'm only disappointed that they sell for as much as they do to begin with. Ah, well. If anyone wants to make a cover for theirs, be sure to google "how to make a cover for dress form" because there are lots of tutorials and instructions out there. When I first picked her up out of the box and plastic bag she came in -- and found my white t-shirt covered with little red hairs! -- I knew absolutely a cover was in her future. Plus, white's easier to work on visually as a background than red, so I'd have done it anyway. Don't be surprised if you end up doing the same thing. :)
- How did the image on site compare with the actual product? same
- How accurate was the on site description of the product? accurate
- Please tell us about the quality of the product. as expected
I think the forms that that Overstock.com sells are seconds. I have not had the problems with the stand that others have had, but there are other annoying issues with this stand that can be contributed to the build quality. 1. Getting the waist length to be the same from the back to the front is difficult. I got it to match my measurements in the back, but noticed that the gaps between the top and bottom pieces varied by at least an inch from the front to the back. Before I use the form, I now check all around the center of the form to make sure the gap is a consistent measurement. 2. The right boob is a good inch below the left one. This is what convinced me that this is a second. I fit both sides of a bodice to the left one to make sure the darts or seems are correct in the bust. 3. The neck adjustment doesn't work worth a flip. I finally taped it in place. 4. The marks where the waist is were place on the form at different heights. It's OK, it works better than trying to fit a garment on myself, but oh I wish for the dress from from high school days that had many more adjustments and made of high quality material.
is very well built. has good stable stand. love all the adjustments possibele. This product really does allow you to pretty much create a double.
- How did the image on site compare with the actual product? accurate
- How accurate was the on site description of the product? very
- Please tell us about the quality of the product. good quality. better than previous form by another company much sturdier
Very nice dress form for the money. Can customize, sturdy enough and will get the job done. Stand sturdier than I expected. Happy with my purchase.
- How did the image on site compare with the actual product? True to life
- How accurate was the on site description of the product? Very Accurate
- Please tell us about the quality of the product. Exactly what i expected. Great Value for the money. Affordable while practical
This was a great purchase; I sat it up in less than 5 minutes and started using it right away.
- How did the image on site compare with the actual product? The picture was very accurate
- How accurate was the on site description of the product? Very accurate
- Please tell us about the quality of the product. Excellent