World Music: A Global Journey
Authors Terry E. Miller and Andrew Shahriari take students around the world to experience the diversity of musical expression. World Music: A Global Journey, now in its third edition, is known for its breadth in surveying the world’s major ...
Terry E. Miller is Professor Emeritus of Ethnomusicology at Kent State University, where he co-founded the Center for the Study of World Musics.
Andrew Shahriari is Instructor of Ethnomusicology at Kent State University and teaches the world music survey course in online classes.
Authors Terry E. Miller and Andrew Shahriari take students around the world to experience the diversity of musical expression. World Music: A Global Journey, now in its third edition, is known for its breadth in surveying the world’s major cultures in a systematic study of world music within a strong pedagogical framework.
As one prepares for any travel, each chapter starts with background preparation, reviewing the historical, cultural, and musical overview of the region. Visits to multiple ‘sites’ within a region provide in-depth studies of varied musical traditions. Music analysis begins with an experimental "first impression" of the music, followed by an "aural analysis" of the sound and prominent musical elements. Finally, students are invited to consider the cultural connections that give the music its meaning and life.
Features of the Third Edition
- Over 3 hours of diverse musical examples. with a third audio CD of new musical examples
- Listening Guides analyze the various pieces of music with some presented in an interactive format online
- Biographical highlights of performers and ethnomusicologists updated and new ones added
- Numerous pedagogical aids, including "On Your Own Time" and "Explore More" sidebars, and "Questions to Consider"
- Popular music incorporated with the traditional
Dynamic companion web site hosts new Interactive Listening Guides, plus many resources for student and instructor. Built to serve online courses.
The CD set is available separately (ISBN 978-0-415-89402-9) or with its Value Pack and book (ISBN 978 0415- 80823-1). MP3 files for the accompanying audio to the ebook are available only with the Value Pack of eBook & MP3 files (ISBN 978-0-203-15298-0)
|Genre||MUSIC / Genres & Styles / International|
|Publisher Date||2012-04-04 00:00:00.0|
|Unit weight||3.76 lb|
|Subtitle||A Global Journey|
|Authors||Miller, Terry E.|
Questions & Answers
Shipping & Returns
Standard Return Policy:
Items must be returned in new or unused condition and contain all original materials included with the shipment. More Details
FINAL SALE EXCLUSION: Items marked as FINAL SALE are not returnable unless the problem you experience is the result of our error.
* For your protection, all orders are screened for security purposes. If your order is selected for review, our Loss Prevention Team may contact you by phone or email. There may be a two business day delay to process your order.
** Most Oversize orders are delivered within 1-4 weeks. Some orders may take 6 weeks to be delivered.