Broken down in handy A-to-Z fashion, this uncensored, sarcastic, and sharp-witted dictionary gives the lowdown on all of your favorite and not-so-favorite aspects of high school, from prom, hooking up, and graduation to acne, standardized tests......more
Broken down in handy A-to-Z fashion, this uncensored, sarcastic, and sharp-witted dictionary gives the lowdown on all of your favorite and not-so-favorite aspects of high school, from prom, hooking up, and graduation to acne, standardized tests, and school shrinks.
At a price even a babysitterís income can afford (and in a light paperback format that won't weigh down your backpack), The Dictionary of High School B.S.†is an entertaining guide to the ridiculous rules, irritating people, and ongoing dramas that fill four of the most awkward, exciting, and downright confusing years of your life. Each entry begins with a straight definition followed by a series of humorous alternate meanings.
1. the selling of all kinds of crap in order to subsidize a school activity or group, such as a class trip or the cheerleading squad.
2. carrying around a box of overpriced candy or a catalog for wrapping paper and begging people to buy stuff they donít need.
3. in some cases, going door to door in oneís neighborhood, holding a car wash, or, if one gets desperate, putting up a lemonade stand.
4. asking parents to ask/force their friends and coworkers to fork over some money or, if they canít be bothered to do that, just write a check themselves for that whole box of candy and eat it or throw it away.
Of course, this dictionary probably wonít help you avoid all of the B.S. that comes with high school. But it might make it all a little easier to laugh at.
acne (n) also known as zits.
1. facial eruptions that are simultaneously infuriating, fascinating, and gross.
2. a massive source of embarrassment, especially when the bumps are huge, red, and resistant to benzoyl peroxide and concealer, the latter of which just makes them worse and, ironically, more noticeable.
3. a personal affect that will leave your friends assuring you "It...
Lois Beckwith (aka Mimi O'Connor) is a contributing editor at BizBash magazine and has contributed articles to Book, Glamour, Publishers Weekly, and Time Out New York. She is the author of The Dictionary of Corporate Bullshit. She lives in New York City.
This item will be delivered to you via USPS Trackable Media Mail or UPS Mail Innovations and will take from 2 days to 3 weeks from the time the item leaves our warehouse. *
Items must be returned in new or unused condition and contain all original materials included with the shipment. More details
FINAL SALE EXCLUSION: Items marked as FINAL SALE are not returnable unless the problem you experience is the result of our error.
* For your safety, some orders go through our loss prevention department. If we select your order for this process, we will immediately notify you that there may be up to a 3-day delay on your order.
** Most Oversize orders are delivered within 1-4 weeks. Some orders may take 6 weeks to be delivered.