The African American Electorate: A Statistical History (Hardcover)
This pioneering work brings together for the first time in a single reference work all of the extant, fugitive, and recently discovered registration data on African American voters from Colonial America to the present. It features election returns for ...
ITEM#: 12348249This pioneering work brings together for the first time in a single reference work all of the extant, fugitive, and recently discovered registration data on African American voters from Colonial America to the present. It features election returns for African American presidential, senatorial, congressional, and gubernatorial candidates over time. Rich, insightful narrative explains the data and traces the history of the laws dealing with the enfranchisement and disenfranchisement of African Americans.
Topics covered include:
- The contributions of statistical pioneers including Monroe Work, W.E.B. DuBois and Ralph Bunche
- African American organizations, like the NAACP and National Equal Rights League (NERL)
- Pioneering African American officeholders, including the few before the Civil War
- Four influxes of African American voters: Reconstruction (Southern African American men), the Fifteenth Amendment (African American men across the country), the Nineteenth Amendment (African American female voters in 1920 election), and the Voting Rights Act of 1965
- The historical development of disenfranchisement in the South and the statistical impact of the tools of disenfranchisement: literacy clauses, poll taxes, and grandfather clauses.
The African-American Electorate features more than 300 tables, 150 figures, and 50 maps, many of which have been created exclusively for this work using demographic, voter registration, election return, and racial precinct data that have never been collected and assembled for the public. An appendix includes popular and electoral voting data for African-American presidential, congressional, and gubernatorial candidates, and a comprehensive bibliography indicates major topic areas and eras concerning the African-American electorate.
The African American Electorate offers students and researchers the opportunity, for the first time, to e...
|Genre||POLITICAL SCIENCE / Political Process / Elections|
|Publisher Date||2012-09-30 00:00:00.0|
|Unit weight||6.05 lb|
|Subtitle||A Statistical History|
|Authors||Walton, Hanes, Jr.|
Questions & Answers
Shipping & Returns
Standard Return Policy:
Items must be returned in new or unused condition and contain all original materials included with the shipment. More Details
FINAL SALE EXCLUSION: Items marked as FINAL SALE are not returnable unless the problem you experience is the result of our error.
* For your protection, all orders are screened for security purposes. If your order is selected for review, our Loss Prevention Team may contact you by phone or email. There may be a two business day delay to process your order.
** Most Oversize orders are delivered within 1-4 weeks. Some orders may take 6 weeks to be delivered.