Star Wars and History (Hardcover)
Star Wars took place long ago in a galaxy far, far away, but its epic stories are based on our own history. From...
Star Wars took place long ago in a galaxy far, far away, but its epic stories are based on our own history. From Ancient Egypt and the Roman Empire to the French Revolution and the Vietnam War, Star Wars and History explores the major historical turning points, heroes, and villains in human history and their impact on the creation of the Star Wars saga. Star Wars and History shows how the atomic and hydrogen bombs led to the Death Star; how Princess Leia's leadership in the Rebel Alliance resembled the daring work of intrepid women in the French Resistance during World War II and the Mexican Revolution; historical parallels between the Jedi Code and Bushido as well as those linking the Jedi culture with that of the Templar Knights and other warrior monks; and all of the history that underlies the Star Wars galaxy. Read how our own civilization's civil wars, slavery, international corporation states, and teenage queens were transformed into the epic Star Wars history and discover how Tatooine reflects the lawless frontiers of the past and Coruscant our own history of glittering and greedy capitals.
- The first book devoted to analyzing the actual historical events in our past that influenced the creation of the space fantasy, Star Wars
- Features 11 essays by a wise ""council"" of history scholars, written in close collaboration with George Lucas and Lucasfilm
- Gives new insights into central Star Wars characters and historical figures who helped inspire them (including Luke Skywalker, Princess Leia, Han Solo, Darth Vader, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Queen Amidala, Yoda, Jabba the Hutt, Lando Calrissian, Emperor Palpatine, and others)
- Includes both stunning photos from the Lucasfilm Image Archives and historical photos that demonstrate the parallels between bot...
NANCY R. REAGIN is professor of history and women's and gender studies at Pace University. She has been active in fan organizations for more years than she cares to admit; her current research project focuses on the history of fan communities since the late nineteenth century. She is the editor of Twilight and History, Harry Potter and History, and Star Trek and History.
JANICE LIEDL is associate professor of history at Laurentian University. She has been an avid fan of Star Wars since the first film's 1977 release. Her present research deals with the history of English stepmothers from the sixteenth century. She contributed to both Twilight and History and Harry Potter and History and is the editor of The Hobbit and History.
|Genre||PERFORMING ARTS / Film & Video / History & Criticism|
|Publisher Date||2012-11-13 00:00:00.0|
|Publisher||Turner Pub Co|
|Unit weight||1.24 lb|
Questions & Answers
Shipping & Returns
Standard Return Policy:
Items must be returned in new or unused condition and contain all original materials included with the shipment. More Details
FINAL SALE EXCLUSION: Items marked as FINAL SALE are not returnable unless the problem you experience is the result of our error.
* For your protection, all orders are screened for security purposes. If your order is selected for review, our Loss Prevention Team may contact you by phone or email. There may be a two business day delay to process your order.
** Most Oversize orders are delivered within 1-4 weeks. Some orders may take 6 weeks to be delivered.