Camilla V. Saulsbury is a freelance food writer and recipe developer. She has written 11 cookbooks and has won several of America's top cooking competitions, including the Food Network's $25,000 Ultimate Recipe showdown (cookies episode).
One-bowl cakes are the forgotten gems in the world of home baking.
Many home bakers believe there are only two options for making cakes at home: 1) commercial cake mixes, or 2) complicated, multi-step recipes developed by professional chefs. But there's another way: one-bowl cakes are all-natural, quick and easy to prepare.
They're as much about what isn't required as what is:
- you don't need multiple bowls
- you will not need to cream the fat (e.g., butter, shortening or oil) with the sugar
- you will not need to separate the eggs
- you will not need to alternately add ingredients while simultaneously mixing
- you will not need to use cake flour or any other fancy flour
- you will not need to sift flour
- you do not need to own or use a heavy-duty stand mixer.
You'll be able to create a multitude of cakes everyone loves to eat, from classic layer cakes and Bundt cakes to old-fashioned cakes and modern innovations. The ever-popular lay-flat concealed wire-o hardcover binding, with full color throughout, makes this book even more convenient.
In addition to the cake recipes, there are over 50 recipes for icings, glazes, syrups and sauces.