Jason Buzz Busby is president and chief executive officer of 3D Buzz, Inc. For more than five years, he has taught 3D animation, programming, and game design through his website 3dbuzz.com, which has over 275,000 members. He coauthoredMastering Unreal: The Art of Level Design and Mastering the Art of Production with 3ds Max 4 and has created and overseen the production of more than 1,000 hours of video training.
Zak Parrish, chief of operations at 3D Buzz, Inc., has developed hundreds of video tutorials over 3D animation and game design. He helped produce training videos that shipped with Unreal Tournament 2004: Special Edition as well as those that shipped with Unreal Tournament 3: Limited Collectors Edition. Zak also coauthoredMastering Unreal.
Jeff Wilson, 3D Buzzs technical consultant for the Unreal Engine, helps develop the companys Unreal Technology training videos. He has been studying the Unreal Engine for five years while creating modifications for Unreal Tournament 2003 and 2004. Wilson moderates the 3D Buzz forums.
Mastering Unreal Technology, Volume I: Introduction to Level Design with Unreal Engine 3 is your start-to-finish guide to modding and level design with the worlds hottest new gaming engine: Unreal Engine 3. Heres everything you need to know to jumpstart your skills and create stunning new content and games for consoles and PCs alike! Your authors arent just the worlds #1 Unreal game development trainers: Theyve even built the training modules that shipped with Unreal Tournament 3: Limited Collectors Edition. Now, working with the full cooperation of Unreal Engine 3s creators, Epic Games, they introduce every facet of game developmentfrom simple level creation to materials, lighting, and terrain...even advanced level optimization and streaming!
Packed with tips, hands-on tutorials, and expert techniques,Mastering Unreal Technology, Volume I is all you need to create levels that look spectacular and work brilliantly...levels that gamers just cant stop playing!
Youll find expert tips on
- Understanding the game development process from start to finish
- Planning projects for greater efficiency, faster delivery, and better quality
- Crafting worlds with stunning beauty and clarity
- Bringing amazing realism to characters, objects, and props
- Making the most of Unreal Engine 3s massively upgraded lighting system
- Scripting complex gameplay quickly and easily with Unreal Kismet
- Building animated game assets with Unreal Matinee
- Testing game performance during live gameplay
- Optimizing levels by improving the interaction between lights and surfaces
- Using advanced level streaming to create vast, rich, highly playable levels
Winner of the Front Line Award for best game development book of 2009!